Itunes doesn't tag original files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn82, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Glenn82 macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm not sure if i've posted this in the right section, please tell me if i need to remove and repost it in the right one.

My question is;

Are there alternatives which are just as easy as iTunes id3 tagging through the "get info" way?

The problem is, when i try to edit my tags with Itunes it goes very well, but it only changes the info in Itunes, my original files remain the same, so whenever i try to add those files again they still show the old tags, so in short, Itunes didn't do anything to the original tags.

On my PC i always used Mp3tag, i tried to install it with Winebottle, but somehow it didn't work.

If anyone knows an equal alternative, or knows how Itunes can change the original files Tag info i'd be so f*$*ing grateful, you don't have a clue.It's very annoying and thus the only reason to miss my old PC, but on the other hand, there's no going back though, no more PC's for me.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Where are the files located? If it's not updating the files themselves then iTunes may not be able to write to them; are you sure that they're not in a read-only folder (or on a Windows/NTFS-formatted drive)?

3. Bear macrumors G3

Do you have 2 copies of the music files in question? One in the iTunes library and your "originals"? If you do, then iTunes only updates the music under its management.

4. Glenn82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks a lot for the input.

All of my Mp3 files are stored in the standard Music map on my Mac, the map is authorized (to myself) to read and write.

When i drag music files into Itunes it copies them, i never used Itunes for this purpose so i'm not sure if it's normal for the original files to be untouched or not, if i'd find a reasonable MP3Tag alternative i'd be equally satisfied of course, on the other hand, if Itunes would just be able to do the trick, that'd be very nice.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

iTunes will change the tags in the copies, but won't touch the originals. The intention is that you delete the originals once you've copied them into iTunes.

Alternatively you can go to Preferences > Advanced and deselect "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". This will make it work with the original files directly.

6. Glenn82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, but i guess then i'll lose the original files from the folder i've put them in, I have over 700 Gigabytes of audio which i categorized in folders, i don't wan't iTunes to take over all authority i have over my files, i wan't to be able to move them to other hard drives and USB sticks.

Mp3tag was the perfect program for me, i can't believe there's a simple solution for Mac users, i tried Tagger and some others but it's not the same at all, iTunes seems perfect, but it won't touch the original files, so it's rendered pretty much useless imo.

Is there really no one who asked the same question and found a solution?

7. Glenn82 thread starter macrumors newbie

.... and is willing to tell me how he/she does it?

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Mostly people just don't organise their music in folders themselves, but just let iTunes do its thing and don't worry about it. To decide what gets put onto your iPod (or iPhone or iPod Touch), you use playlists and smart playlists and sync to them.

In iTunes Preferences, Advanced, you can turn off "Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library". If you do that, your original files are also the iTunes "originals" and will be edited by iTunes.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You can move those files anywhere you like just fine by dragging them directly out of the iTunes window. If you just allow iTunes to take over the backend organization, you'll find you end up with much greater control of how your files are organized, sorted, searched, etc. In my opinion you will gain ten-fold the amount of 'authority' you have over your music.

Plus you'll solve your tagging problem.

10. Glenn82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, this solved my little problem! :)

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it a lot!

Oh, stupid me huh, Nermal already posted this solution and i overlooked it, i'm sorry, thanks though.