iTunes Down? and/or iTunes 8 Broke?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveLV702, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

Ever since Upgrading to iTunes 8 I have been unable to purchase any songs, movies I cannot even download free upgrades to my iPhone/iPod Applications. I am presented with the following message:

We could not complete your iTunes Store request.
    An unknown error occurred (5002)

There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.

anyone else having this problem?

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i did get that problem for awhile trying to buy music from the store right after 8 came out but i left it for an hour or so and the i could. how long have you had the prob?

3. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I am having this problem when trying to update Apps.

4. SteveLV702 thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

have had this problem since yesterday afternoon after it was released.

5. senseibiz macrumors regular

Same problem here. when I check for app updates I get the (5002) error of death.. Lol

I called apple and they told me to sign out of the account, restart computer and it should be fine.. did not work..
    any ideas.

6. Roo macrumors newbie

Roo

I'm having the same issue (5002 error when trying to add something to my shopping cart). I've been getting it for the last 24 hours (since downloading 8) and none of the fixes I've found online have, um, fixed it.

It's annoying.

7. Roo macrumors newbie

Roo

Gaah!

So I contacted iTunes support yesterday, and shortly thereafter the situation appeared to resolve, and I was able to use the store normally, purchasing items from my shopping cart and adding new ones. Hooray!

*BUT* I just got an email from tech support saying that my account should new be fine, but they had to clear out my shopping cart (and kept no record of the contents) in order to do it. :mad: So they dumped the contents of my shopping cart for no reason and without warning me first. Awesome. :rolleyes:

8. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Just now started getting this error when trying to purchase an episode of Greek. I have had no issues since installing iTunes 8 until now. Arggggg

9. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Same issue here with the App Store.

-4 error.

I get an error on my iPhone too.....weird

10. Neonwhite macrumors newbie

I'm getting the -4 error too, trying to download a track.

Annoying :mad:

11. stevehp macrumors 6502

not working here either...(-4) error every time.

12. schooby41 macrumors newbie

ditto on the -4 error.
    I get it on iTunes. I also get an error trying to purchase on my appletv.

13. myke2 macrumors member

I was able to DL an album the other day, but I just tried to DL a new app directly from iTunes and got the error so I tried on my iPhone....same error. I'm confused.

14. kornyboy macrumors 68000

-4 Error as well

I'm getting the -4 error as well. I was working as of about 6 pm (Eastern) but when I tried to rent a movie a little while ago it quit working on my PowerMac and AppleTV. The AppleTV actually says that my username or password is invalid and the PowerMac gives me the -4 error. Sounds like Apple's account server is down.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

me too. I tried to download a movie and it didn't work!

16. getbackxx macrumors newbie

i was just about to make a topic about this. Same error, here is my story

I'll tell the whole story so hopefully I can get some help. I got my ipod touch a week ago with my macbook. Everything has been going smoothly. I have about 10 apps on my ipod one is the AIM ap. I saw there was an update today, so I went to go update it, and after a minute I got this popup on my Ipod

"authorization failed. Please connect to Itunes"

So i connected to itunes, and pressed Retry and it said "can not retrieve download information. Please connect with Itunes" and the only choice to click is "dismiss"

I tried to update it from Itunes too and after it says "accessing Itunes store" and then "purchasing" for about a minute I get a pop up that says "Could not purchase "AIM". An Unknown error occured (-4)." And sometimes the error number is 5002.

I tried to download another Free app for messaging because I thought it was AIM and not anything else, so when I tried I got the same issue. an error that says "we could not complete your itunes store request. An unknown error has occured (-4)."

I saw some people were having my issue, but they saw this "black app" square and deleting it fixed their problem. Well I looked on my apps listed on my Ipod and Itunes and I didn't see that. I have tried to restart my computer, reinstall itunes and even tried to install an older itunes version but ended up redownloading Itunes 8.

I am pretty frustrated with this so if anyone knows how to fix it let me know

17. myke2 macrumors member

I just tried to do the whole "log out of iTunes, restart mac, log in to iTunes" tactic and now it won't even let me log in to my account. what is the support email addy for iTunes? we all need to let apple know how sh***y this is.

18. getbackxx macrumors newbie

im definitely going to send them an email as well
    because this is ridiculous
    I can't buy music.. apps.. anything
    can't even update my apps

19. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I'm having the same problem. I've been trying to update the NY Times app but can't do so on my computer or my iPhone. :mad:

20. BoBBo! macrumors newbie

Ditto.

I haven't been able to download any apps, stating that I need to allow 1-click purchases on iTunes (to download a FREE app) and then once I click Buy, it gives me the same error prompt as stated above.

When I try to log into Shopping Cart, it hangs and states that there's a connection error and to check my network.

Closing & reopening iTunes did nothing...

I'm also unable to download apps directly to my iPhone right now.

21. getbackxx macrumors newbie

I hope this is something that can be easily fixed

22. no1nos macrumors newbie

I was getting this same error after upgrading to iTunes 8/iPhone 2.1. What I ended up doing was deleting all my downloaded applications from iTunes, ran a sync, and then I was able to re-download them. It's a pretty crappy workaround, but I am able to download again. I'm still getting a lot of timeout errors though, it's taking about 5 attempts to actually get an app to start downloading.

23. getbackxx macrumors newbie

If i delete them will I have to rebuy the ones I bought again? :-\

So when i go to applications in Itunes, click the icon and click delete, it asks me if i want to keep the stuff in the moble folder or send it to the trash. Which should i pick?

24. no1nos macrumors newbie

No, if it is an app you have already bought, it will say it will charge you when you try to download it, but when you accept it pops up another window saying that you have already purchased this item and it will let you download it for free.

I just trashed all the files when I deleted the app out of iTunes.

25. getbackxx macrumors newbie

Okay I will try it and see how it goes :) Thanks for the help