iTunes error 1004? Apps won't update on computer, but can update via iPhone? WTF?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Paul1983, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Paul1983 macrumors newbie

I am having an issue updating apps on my iPhone. Whenever it says that an update is available, I clicked to download the update and an error message pops up (Error 1004) and the update doesn't download. Anyone had any experience with this?

I first noticed this problem after I had to change my user account with iTunes, (changing from email address to another). I thought that might have something to do with it, but I am able to update the apps by going to the app store ON my iPhone, but can't do it on my computer. I recently bought an iMac and have moved everything from the pc over to the mac, and the problem still exists. I even erased my iPhone and deauthorized my old pc, and then authorized my account on my new iMac and still the problem exists.

There is NOTHING on the apple support site about this issue, and a quick google search netted some results but none with a solution to the problem.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Have you tried deauthorizing then reauthorizing the iMac?

DPA

3. Paul1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I even re-synced it and erased all the files on my phone, and still I cant update apps through iTunes. Though I can do it on my phone, its faster and easier to do it on my computer.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Are the emails/Apple ID usernames the same on the computer and iPhone. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get all the information straight in order to best help you.

DPA

5. Paul1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

YEs, both are the same.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

What version of iTunes are you on? If you do not have the latest version, go to Apple Downloads and get the latest version of iTunes. This updating and reinstall (automatically happens with the update) should fix the problem. If it persists, just post here.

DPA

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, it sounds like your iTunes is out of date. Click on update, and update to the latest version.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Errors at 1004 numeration are usually related to poor iTunes/iPhone communication. I bet it's either software is out of date. Give that a try first.

9. Paul1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I just checked for updates for itunes, I have the current version (9.0.2) and the current iPhone OS (3.1.2).

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You might have to uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

11. Paul1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the same thing when I was using itunes on my HP laptop, but then I bought a brand new iMac and it came with the newest itunes installed and the same problem exists on this machine.