Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twostep665

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Not a developer and yes I have itunes 10.1. I've never had this error before and Ive gotten the previous GM releases just fine.

actually, its itunes 10.1 beta from when 4.2 gm got released. could that be the issue?

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Not a developer and yes I have itunes 10.1. I've never had this error before and Ive gotten the previous GM releases just fine.

actually, its itunes 10.1 beta from when 4.2 gm got released. could that be the issue?

er...yeah...probably. Update from the beta.

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
how 'bout this.

How about, you wait a couple of weeks and install it when it's released?

I promise you won't die.

twostep665

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
er...yeah...probably. Update from the beta.

Updated from the beta and still got the same error. I'm now stuck in recovery mode and when I try to do the normal restore the itunes server times out downloading 4.1

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
worked fine here. don't really notice anything different bug or speed-wise, but there were few differences between 4.1 and 4.2 i really cared about anyway.

prob needed the legit 10.1 which is available on apple's website.

twostep665

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
worked fine here. don't really notice anything different bug or speed-wise, but there were few differences between 4.1 and 4.2 i really cared about anyway.

prob needed the legit 10.1 which is available on apple's website.

I got the full 10.1 but i still had the same error.

DevilyWan88

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Mine got the same error too..but after edited the host file, its solved the problem..

Last edited:

Bluevoice

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I also got the full iTunes 10.1 version and got the same error. I think this error is related to the update not being able to upgrade the baseband because it's practicly the same baseband version as in 4.2 (03.10.01). The only problem with this error is that the iPhone remains in DFU but you can easily take it out of DFU by using RecBoot. I now run 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4 without a problem :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I also got the full iTunes 10.1 version and got the same error. I think this error is related to the update not being able to upgrade the baseband because it's practicly the same baseband version as in 4.2 (03.10.01). The only problem with this error is that the iPhone remains in DFU but you can easily take it out of DFU by using RecBoot. I now run 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4 without a problem :)

I don't think it's that - I updated fine from 4.1 -> 4.2 Betas -> 4.2 GM -> 4.2.1 GM (I do have a developer account though)

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Seems like it might be a problem with your host file. If you have used an app like Tiny Umbrella your host file could be modified and that's what's forcing the error.

ubestbsteppin

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Seems like it might be a problem with your host file. If you have used an app like Tiny Umbrella your host file could be modified and that's what's forcing the error.

Yup, if you've used Tiny Umbrella or an app like it you'll get the error you describe. I assume your phone is displaying the 'connect to itunes" screen now? You could always use Tiny Umbrella to knock it out of that mode:)

Bluevoice

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Yup, if you've used Tiny Umbrella or an app like it you'll get the error you describe. I assume your phone is displaying the 'connect to itunes" screen now? You could always use Tiny Umbrella to knock it out of that mode:)

You are right. I had Saurik's server added to my hosts file. I removed it, updated again without the 1013 error.

fishnchipsman

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010

How do you edit the host files? What do you have to change to get them to work?

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I had a 10 days old week 40 iPhone 4 that came with iOS 4.1. I tried updating to iOS 4.2 and got the error 1013. Tried recovery mode a few times but it was in an infinite loop with error 1013. I called Apple support and the agent asked me to try rebooting the laptop and try different USB ports and such...all to no avail. Finally he gave me a case number and told me that my phone had a hardware problem and that I must get it replaced at the nearest apple store which was an hour away. When asked, I told him that I bought the phone from a local Radio Shack less than 2 weeks back, he asked me to take it back and have it replaced with a new one, which I ended up doing.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I had a 10 days old week 40 iPhone 4 that came with iOS 4.1. I tried updating to iOS 4.2 and got the error 1013. Tried recovery mode a few times but it was in an infinite loop with error 1013. I called Apple support and the agent asked me to try rebooting the laptop and try different USB ports and such...all to no avail. Finally he gave me a case number and told me that my phone had a hardware problem and that I must get it replaced at the nearest apple store which was an hour away. When asked, I told him that I bought the phone from a local Radio Shack less than 2 weeks back, he asked me to take it back and have it replaced with a new one, which I ended up doing.

I had the EXACT same issue and experience. They told me I would need to get a new phone at the nearest Apple Store. I managed to fix it by downloading iOS 4.2.1 on a different computer and updating my phone there. I think it was just a corrupt data file.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I had the EXACT same issue and experience. They told me I would need to get a new phone at the nearest Apple Store. I managed to fix it by downloading iOS 4.2.1 on a different computer and updating my phone there. I think it was just a corrupt data file.

Well, there is fix on the internet (modifying the HOSTS file), which I know would have fixed it. The manager at the Radio Shack store had no issues updating my old phone to 4.2 by connecting it to a display computer in the store, but since Apple asked me to get it replaced because of the "HARDWARE ISSUE", I was like "why the hell not?" and had it replaced anyway.

Before I updated my new phone, I modified the HOSTS file and had my brother do the same on his computer before he updated his IP4.

MartinEros

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010

Add this to your host file
17.112.176.11 gs.apple.com

Chances are your DNS is not being flushed or cleared properly.

if you enter gs.apple.com in your browser it should redirect to http://www.apple.com/404 not cydia or anything else.

rsuryase

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
17.112.176.11 gs.apple.com works for me, before it had a different ip address. My iphone 4 got bricked after I installed snes4iphone on a tethered jailbreak ios 4.2.1.

Edit: looks like this happens on any apps on Cydia. I have a frozen/bricked iphone 4 everytime I install a Cydia app.
Edit 2: I found out it's mobile substrate that's causing this?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.