Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Yea! Soon I'll be able to use the iTMS. Plus I'll have an easier time navigating my mp3 collection with iTunes' interface on my PC.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
That is a good idea that they sped up the announcement.

I do not know if the news is out yet, I am a music insider.

Microsoft is making their announcement and LAUNCH of their competing service in November.

So it is a good thing that they sped up their announcement

Caravaggio

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2002
Getting it out sooner than later would be cool, but I hope that they get it right and don't release buggy software. I listen to my PC pals BITCH about quicktime....

Fingers crossed....

york2600

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Now if only Apple can add Library sharing in the Windows version. I love sharing my music and listening to other people's music in the dorms. It's a really great feature that all my PC friends are way jealous of.

socbyset

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2003
Heh.. what if Jobs' keynote tomorrow is focused on announcing/previewing the forthcoming iTunes Windows, and there is no Powerbook update.

Not that that's what I want or expect to happen (as I am waiting for the updated 15" myself). But there would be a certain dark humor in it.

Sep. 17 headline: "Mac user community hit by mysterious wave of mass suicide"

Sorry to drag the powerbook updates into this thread, but I couldn't help myself.

gola

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
bergen, norway
and tomorrow iTMS: europe?

Hope apple can take care of it´s own, before catering for the Windowsians. Bring iTMS to europe now! Personally I think it is a mistake to make a windows version. It could be the first step towards giving in to the pressure, and become a complete softwarecompany on Intel hardware.

Just wait until they see how much money they can earn by producing great windows-apps....

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
does anyone know if iTunes on windows will include AAC support?

well i guess it must if they are going to be able to purchase songs, but with a broader base does anyone thing that Apple might have to change some of the rules for the wintel platform as to what can be done with purchased music?

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Itunes for windows

hehe, every mac user is waitng for something at this keynote, but only windpws users get something
ironic?
AK

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: and tomorrow iTMS: europe?

Originally posted by gola
Hope apple can take care of it´s own, before catering for the Windowsians. Bring iTMS to europe now! Personally I think it is a mistake to make a windows version. It could be the first step towards giving in to the pressure, and become a complete softwarecompany on Intel hardware.

Just wait until they see how much money they can earn by producing great windows-apps....
Bringing iTMS to Windows is an engineering problem. Bringing it to Europe is a legal problem. Solving engineering problems takes time. Solving legal problems, especially in Europe, takes luck.

balconycollapse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
Ames, IA
courting the wintel community

I know this sort of goes to the other post about the special edition ipod. But, what if tommorow they not only announce iTunes for wintel but also offer a special iPod for that community. I know that iPod works obviously with pcs but maybe there is something they might give the windows people that the mac heads wouldn't need or want but that would make people line up. Oh well, just a thought. Maybe you guys have some ideas.

-------------------------
Slow motion sliding backwards down the banister two guns blazing...yeah..kinda like that

hexcalibur

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Vancouver
roundabout confirmation

I was browsing http://www.pathmethenygroup.com and found a note about a track that is only available through iTMS. The note went on to say that iTMS was mac-only right now, but Windows users would be able to get it "this fall". Hardly a lock, but if Pat Metheny isn't a music insider, nobody is.

An October debut for the Windows iTMS would be great. Now, if they could just get the licensing deal in place so us Canadians could use it to round out our Celine Dion collections.

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by Caravaggio
Getting it out sooner than later would be cool, but I hope that they get it right and don't release buggy software. I listen to my PC pals BITCH about quicktime....

Fingers crossed....

Thats why im not too concerned about Apple releacing ITMS for Windoze ASAP. As it stands now, the crash and burn of Buy (I mean lease per end user agreement without the ability to burn)music.com is the best form of advertisment for iTMS. Keep in mind the amount of Windoze users who have iPods. Those of us in the mac world tend to forget that iTunes by itself is a rock solid app. Even though we may have to use scripts to do things that should be apart of the application, iTunes is not Bloatware. So not only will users get access to the iTMS but a GOOD app. to compliment their iPod.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Five possibilities:

(1) iTunes for Windows finished testing sooner than Apple expected so they are releasing it sooner than expected.

(2) iTunes for Windows isn't as ready as it should be, but Apple felt pressured by the competition and released it early.

(3) An October release date was the plan all along, and Apple said "by end of year" just to be cautious.

(4) An October release date was the plan all along, and Apple purposely hid the fact that it would be out sooner.

(5) This rumor is wrong.

PHGN

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
London
The sad truth is that I've heard more news about the delay in iTMS Europe and PC than about Microsoft's offering.
Hey, I only realised they had when I read about it in MacUser.

bluedalmatian

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2003
Great Britain
"
The sad truth is that I've heard more news about the delay in iTMS Europe and PC than about Microsoft's offering. "

Thats a good thing surely!?

I wouldn't mind if MS supported open standards ...... and if Windows Media Player actually had a reasonably attractive & intuitive interface!

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
Re: Re: and tomorrow iTMS: europe?

Originally posted by tny
Bringing iTMS to Windows is an engineering problem. Bringing it to Europe is a legal problem. Solving engineering problems takes time. Solving legal problems, especially in Europe, takes luck.

I wonder if Apple across Europe were/are holding out for a launch continent-wide. But if the wait drags on any longer, I would prefer to see a staggered launch, so countries where the 'big five' have reached agreement with Apple go ahead and launch iTMS.

Apple won't be able to charge a round figure (like 99 cents) across Europe anyway, because not all EU countries are in the Euro.

It must be a legal headache, but it will be frustrating for us Mac users in Europe if Apple bring out the US Windows version first. We buy their products, why can't we buy their services as well?

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Microsoft To Introduce Competing Music service in Nov

Frankly, I am glad that Apple moved up their windows launch for iTunes. We need it out there and get apple the market.

Why does the date matter so much? Well, Microsoft is introducing and launching their competing Online Music Service in November.

Yes, you heard me right, in November. That is probably what got slow apple to speed their timeline up. Yes i know i printed it before, but this is a big deal.

Why is this a big deal? well, MSFT loves to copy Apple. How long till MSFT has their own hardware like an iPod to play WMA copy protected media?

Not long at all, and a whole group of assorted copy cats.

Nothing beats the best and first. Apple!

Best,

Mdntcallr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.