iTunes Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adityashah1989, Jan 21, 2009.

1. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

I have a lot of songs unorganized on iTunes. Recently I organized them like changed titles, albums, artists, added album art and added lyrics. I just wanted to ask will this change my core files. Say if I transfer these files to another computer will they be updated with the new information which I changed through iTunes?

2. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will it also include the album art and the lyrics? Sorry to be a noob but just shifted from Windows to Mac and don't know how it works because when I go to the files and see get info its not showing the changes.

3. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry but I checked, I also transferred the file to another computer the changes have not been updated in the core files. Is there a setting where I can change that?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been doing the same thing with my collection, which is a huge undertaking. As for the lyrics, they are imbedded in the tag information on the file, so they follow the file wherever you move or copy it.

For album art, it depends on how you add the artwork. if you let iTunes download the art automatically, it is NOT embedded into the file, so if you transfer that file to another computer, the art doesn't go with it. If, however, you manually add art by pasting a photo in the song/album in iTunes, that artwork IS embedded in the file.

It's more work to manually add artwork, but the other advantage to this method is that the artwork you can manually add can be of a much higher resolution and quality than that automatically downloaded by iTunes.

5. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have added the lyrics and the album art personally but they have not been updated in the core file. Is there some kind of setting I should change in iTunes to make the changes I make in iTunes affect my core files, if so could someone guide me.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you copying the files that are in your iTunes library?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have iTunes managing your files? That might be the difference. My lyrics and artwork are added to the files, but here are my settings.

Attached Files:

8. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had those boxes ticked. I have unticked them. But my core files have still not changed. Should I restart my computer?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, having those checked means that when you imported/ripped all your music, iTunes made copies of all the files and iTunes manages them. Simply unchecking the boxes won't undo that. There's a lot of work you have to do to correct the situation. You should have imported/ripped while those boxes were unchecked, if you want to manage the files yourself.

10. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

So now there is no way I can make the changes I made affect the core files?

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes for compressed music files, however the files have to have the correct read/write privileges for the user.

No for AIFF, as AIFF cannot have metadata.

If you have copied the files from say a burnt data CD, then they probably only have READ privileges enabled. Go to Music/ iTunes/
    get info on iTunes music, "Read and write" (probably already checked), go to details, and apply to all enclosed items.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not retroactively, as far as I'm aware. The problem is, the artwork is in one file, the music in another. I'm not aware of any script or program that will marry the two in one file.
    I believe the OP's issue relates to iTunes managing the files, not permissions.

13. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

So are you telling me that I should delete all my songs, add them again with the new iTunes settings and then add artwork and change titles and stuff?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That would work. If there's a shortcut or workaround, I'm not aware of it. Be glad your library isn't bigger! I'd hate to have to re-import all of mine!

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No. Tick the boxes again if they're still unticked.

Are you looking at the right file?

Right Click on a song and Choose 'Show in Finder'. try moving that one song.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They already tried moving a file and it doesn't work. The artwork is not embedded in the file, since iTunes is managing the files, and stores artwork in a separate folder.

iTunes stores music it manages in the folder: iTunes Libraries/iTunes libraryname/iTunes Music
    iTunes stores album artwork in the folder: iTunes Libraries/iTunes libraryname/Album Artwork

If you manage the files yourself and add artwork manually, it increases the size of the file with the added artwork.

Edit:
    To the OP: You might try copying your music folder to another location, then create a new iTunes library and import that new folder. I did some experimenting and it appears it might embed the artwork when you copy it.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If the artwork has been pasted into iTunes, it'll be embedded in the file. It's only in a separate folder if downloaded from the iTunes Store.

adityashah1989 try doing 'show in finder' and moving that song over. If the artwork doesn't come over, the correct tagging should at least.

If you have unticked those boxes, make sure they are ticked.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the OP wants to manage their own library, they should NOT have those boxes ticked.

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why? OP has been managing his files through iTunes. Why change it now?

20. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

If you import your iTunes you can make changes in iTunes. rename it in iTunes, rename the source file to the new name "exact name".

If you drag and drop your file into iTunes, You can't change the name while in iTunes. I made a new folder and put all my renamed files in there. then deleted all the stuff in Itunes, then imported it again.

I had the same problem, some files I could rename in itunes and others I could not. I just started over and did them all while it was small. If your's large, order out cause it takes forever.

21. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

22. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

If it's small like 200 or so, start over. Manage it manual is best. and stay away from drag and drop. Just use import from then on.

From then on make backups in iTunes of your stuff, cause it grows fast.

23. adityashah1989 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not big but its still 611 songs. I think I will do that unless there is someone out there with a better solution.

24. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

You don't have to do them all at once, just do 50 or so and in now time its over.