iTunes - how to rename files correctly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ancandis, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Ancandis macrumors member

Ancandis

Which method / script / program will rename your song's file names so iTunes will still know where they are?

Normally when renaming files you will have to re-locate the files to remove the exclamation marks.

Thanks.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why do you want to rename them?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You should not be renaming files manually.

Make your changes through iTunes and the setting will be saved for most files.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I think the OP wants to have more descriptive file names for use with other programs/players or for archiving purposes, where the metadata (tag info) is often not readily apparent to the user.

Nevertheless, I'm not handy with scripting, so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

My two cents... Descriptive filenames are getting less and less important nowadays; even cheap iPod knockoffs can read and display metadata. It took me a while to get used to it, but I no longer care what names the OS uses to store my music files.

5. Ancandis thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

Right.
    The program I want to use the music files with _is_ able to read the ID3 tags. Nevertheless I need the uniform naming scheme for the correct sorting.

It's (also) all about perfectionism. :apple:

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Check out dougscripts.com. There are two 'popular' ones that appear to rename stuff in iTunes based on ID3 tags, but I don't know if they're compatible with iTunes 9.

7. Ancandis thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis