Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Enter the code again. I had to do that with Thor and 6 other codes. If the studio makes a change to the movie after you redeem your code it will invalidate it in the cloud. I don't know how many time you can do this but it worked for all of mine that had problems. Lion King, Captain America, Pirates 4, Lady and the Tramp, Cars 2, Top Gun all had to be re-entered.
Thank you for this! I got a couple missing Paramount titles to show up by re-entering the copy codes.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
I love this feature now. Being able to stream without the computer on is awesome. I have 3 apple tvs in the house & it'll be nice to use this. Especially when the kids want to watch one of the movies.

UltimateFighter

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
You have a higher success rate than I do. I only see 2 out of my 80+ digital copies shown up in the purchased section, although if I clicked on the "purchased" tab under the "store" section on the left of the iTunes software window, I see all of them, but couldn't re-download any of them again.

Worse of all, I've already thrown all those digital copies redeem code slips that came with all my Blu-ray purchases as I thought that I'll never need the codes anymore after redeeming my digital copies previously. :(

I know this might be frustrating, but you can email the studios and use their support pages to get new codes. Most studios will allow you a one time code replacement for free. That means you'll need to email each studio for the codes and list all the movies you need codes for. When I did this, different studios had different requirements.

Example:
For Disney go to http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/Contact_Us.html and complete the form. In the details put a list of movies you need codes for and they'll likely reply with what else they need from you. Lionsgate made me send in a pic of each movie case. It's possible they'll charge you, but they gave me codes for free when I told them my kids shredded my old ones before I redeemed them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

----------

Edit: Rechecked again & found that even for my iTunes movies purchases, not all of them show up in my Purchased section. I wonder how they sort the movies out on which should show up as purchased? :confused:

Check iTunes and make sure the movies are actually available to buy. Some are no longer available to buy and won't show up in your purchased movies. Movies available for rent don't count either. Also, make sure they're not Fox or Universal movies as these aren't in iCloud yet.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Actually, you can. I just started the download of a digital copy from the Purchased tab of the iTunes Store on my iPhone, and when I jumped over to the Video App I could begin playing the movie even though only a fraction of it had downloaded thus far. Sort of a hidden feature though, since the download viewer itself gives no indication that you can begin watching right away.

Ohhh, good call... thanks for letting me know. :eek:

Back2kcaB

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
I never utilized any of my digital copies until hearing about this feature..but someone please tell me why some digital copies have expiration dates?

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I never utilized any of my digital copies until hearing about this feature..but someone please tell me why some digital copies have expiration dates?

Oh, probably contracts, licensing, various exhibition windows, that sort of thing. The studios try to optimize their profit with all this complexity, but what they are really doing is annoying their paying customers.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm really happy with this. A copy of a movie had expired, and I got it back!

Yep, if you have any WB movies you missed try them again. I just tried my Inception that I forgot about until past the May 2011 cut off and it says it was extended to the end of 2013. It appears to be taken out of the store at the moment but I can watch for it to come back and redeem it then. yeah

I'm going to try the Harry Potter sets I just got (the first two movies) as well.

----------

Oh, probably contracts, licensing, various exhibition windows, that sort of thing. The studios try to optimize their profit with all this complexity, but what they are really doing is annoying their paying customers.

Exactly all of that.

however if you still have the codes, try them again. As I must mentioned, Warners has extended at least some expirations. Others might have done the same.

----------

Is MGM part of Universal? Rock I & II are MGM and not eligible.

MGM isn't part of Universal but many of their movies were distributed by Universal and yes that would exclude them at the moment since distributors are the ones that make cable deals etc

Back2kcaB

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
If you have a mba or a mbp without superdrive is there a way to import digital copies into itunes without use of the disc?

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I can confirm this

I have a few digital copies of DVD's in my itunes library. For your digital copy to appear in the cloud, it needs to be available for purchase in itunes. For example, my digital copy of the Dark Knight is in the cloud but not my copy of Inception because Inception isn't on the iTunes store. None the less, its still great that apple did this

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Enter the code again. I had to do that with Thor and 6 other codes. If the studio makes a change to the movie after you redeem your code it will invalidate it in the cloud. I don't know how many time you can do this but it worked for all of mine that had problems. Lion King, Captain America, Pirates 4, Lady and the Tramp, Cars 2, Top Gun all had to be re-entered.

This worked for me for Super 8, but I couldn't get it to work for Harry Potter 6 and 7 part I. Apparently, you can only redeem those copies once.

wrmoody

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
This isn't working.

I don't think that this is true. I have probably 30 movies that I purchase and then added the digital copies to iTunes. Well none of them show up at all in iTunes cloud.
Sorry I don't think this is going to work.
Thanks
Bill
:confused:

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I don't think that this is true. I have probably 30 movies that I purchase and then added the digital copies to iTunes. Well none of them show up at all in iTunes cloud.
Sorry I don't think this is going to work.
Thanks
Bill
:confused:

It is true. Are you looking at iTunes -> Purchased -> Movies?

Are these movie titles available to stream from iTunes otherwise? Are they from Fox or Universal, whose movies are currently excluded from this?

mbprouser

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Oh man, this just shows how many kids movies I've purchased that came with a digital copy! Out of all the movies, the only one that isn't showing up in the cloud is Ice Age 3, but it is a 20th Century Fox movie so maybe in the future.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think the digital copies that are available in "purchased" stream in HD. My digital copies load fairly quickly with my slow internet connection, while the HD copy of Cars that we purchased from iTunes takes just over an hour.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think the digital copies that are available in "purchased" stream in HD. My digital copies load fairly quickly with my slow internet connection, while the HD copy of Cars that we purchased from iTunes takes just over an hour.
They don't, and I'm unsure why some people said they did. Your SD digital copies will stream in SD from the "purchased" tab on the Apple TV. I compared the quality to streaming a downloaded SD copy from iTunes on my Mac, and they were both equally as bad.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Just did Thor and now doing X-Men First Class. The other movies and tv shows (Heroes) showed up no problem. Unfortunately, The Incredible Hulk in under Universal and the code has expired. Hope they extend the codes.

UltimateFighter

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Last edited:

Larsennet

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Just did Thor and now doing X-Men First Class. The other movies and tv shows (Heroes) showed up no problem. Unfortunately, The Incredible Hulk in under Universal and the code has expired. Hope they extend the codes.

X-Men First class won't show up because it's Fox & Hulk won't show up because it's Universal. I don't think you will need to worry about expired codes. They should just show up when they add them.

croy

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
anyone from canada confirm this? I am not setting it on mine, but do you have to have a subscription to iTunes match?

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
I'm little late to this digital copy thing but...

Am I correct in saying that the only iTunes version in can get through the Cloud by using digital copy codes is the SD? In other words, if I want everything I watch through Apple TV to be HD I need to purchase through iTunes rather than use digital copies you get with Blu-rays?

UltimateFighter

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
I'm little late to this digital copy thing but...

Am I correct in saying that the only iTunes version in can get through the Cloud by using digital copy codes is the SD? In other words, if I want everything I watch through Apple TV to be HD I need to purchase through iTunes rather than use digital copies you get with Blu-rays?

I've yet to see anybody verify an HD stream available from a digital copy. Personally, I have 16 movies and all of them seem to be SD.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
so can anyone tell me why are some films available in the cloud (sherlock holmes etc) but not in HD at all?

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
This worked for me for Super 8...

I am not seeing Super 8 in my iCloud purchases. What did you do? I tried the code in my blu-ray case, but it said it has already been redeemed (which I did). Did you request a new code? Delete Super 8 and it allowed you to dl it again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.