Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m focused on the apps that now appear in the File Sharing section of my iOS devices, such as Acrobat, where I have traditionally dragged a file from my Mac to a specific App on my iOS device via iTunes. As I have read, this will now be handled by the MacOS. Anyone have a link that illustrates what this will look like? Thanks! :)

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
The music app will still have the provision. Or else install Windows and then install iTunes which Apple confirmed will exist in forseeable future.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I’m focused on the apps that now appear in the File Sharing section of my iOS devices, such as Acrobat, where I have traditionally dragged a file from my Mac to a specific App on my iOS device via iTunes. As I have read, this will now be handled by the MacOS. Anyone have a link that illustrates what this will look like? Thanks! :)

You would also be able to do this wirelessly for PC and Mac by enabling file sharing on either, connecting SMB in files and copying files into the apps documents folder on either iCloud or local storage, depending on the app.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As I understand it, this functionality will be in Finder in MacOS Catalina.
That is my understanding. I’m curious what the interface will look like.
[doublepost=1559765934][/doublepost]
You would also be able to do this wirelessly for PC and Mac by enabling file sharing on either, connecting SMB in files and copying files into the apps documents folder on either iCloud or local storage, depending on the app.
SMB, isn’t that Windows? I’m doing this Mac to iOS.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Mac supports SMB as server and client (as does Linux). System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing

Reactions: StevenRCE0

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009

Before one could sync iPhone and tablet with computer. Could one backup and sync still in the future?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Before one could sync iPhone and tablet with computer. Could one backup and sync still in the future?

iTunes is still around for Windows so I guess nothing changes there. I believe backup and sync moves to Finder in the new Mac OS too. I'm not too clear on what the situation is for prior releases of MacOS.

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
iTunes is still around for Windows so I guess nothing changes there. I believe backup and sync moves to Finder in the new Mac OS too. I'm not too clear on what the situation is for prior releases of MacOS.

Thanks, was curious as to what would happen to syncing and backups

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’ll try and find the screenies I saw, or I’ll do my own once I get the time to install Catalina.

But basically, it’s not much different. Once you select your device in finder, you’ll see a familiar interface for all of the tasks you’re used to doing in iTunes.

In the meantime, here’s a screen from Macrumors.....

508D3495-D752-44D3-965A-770422EF107C.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.