Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wait...

Anything that's downloaded locally stays exactly how it is, everything in the cloud is gone.

Gone or you just have to redownload everything?

Gone makes it sound like everything gets erased.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
iTunes purchases should remain in the lists, as part of iTunes in the Cloud - either they'll already be on the iPhone/iPad, or they'll have the iCloud download icon.

I don't think anything is deleted from the iPhone, iPad - what should disappear are the non-iTunes songs you "matched" but are not physically on the phone (they show the iCloud download icon).

wannabepcuser

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Once you stop subscribing the local copies will stay. You won't be able to redownload the matched songs.

Any songs you purchased will always be available to redownload so long as the labels allow it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Once you stop subscribing the local copies will stay. You won't be able to redownload the matched songs.

Any songs you purchased will always be available to redownload so long as the labels allow it.

The one thing that isn't clear is what happens if you have songs that were uploaded or matched in iTunes Match, that have been removed from all your devices + backups, and you pay for iTunes Match again after stopping for a while - for example if you stopped paying for iTunes Match and then figured out that all your music is gone and want to start it again.

"As long as the label allows it" would be at least as long as the music is still available for sale on iTunes, so it would be very rare that anything disappears. Probably only after some legal dispute.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
As far as I understood it:
- if you continue to pay the subscription every year, it is available on the cloud to download at anytime
- if you choose not to pay the annual subscriptions, whatever is on your computer or hard drive, etc will remain but those songs are then gone from the cloud ie you cannot download it from the cloud at anytime as you please
- repaying the annual fee will then allow you to redownload stuff and place it on the cloud for future download at your fingertips

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Gone or you just have to redownload everything?

Gone makes it sound like everything gets erased.

I mean, anything that's downloaded already to your devices (including Macs), stays. Anything that was only in the cloud (Match) is removed completely and unavailable, other than iTunes purchases.

chrislym

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I am thinking of purchasing Match. Only 1 thing holding back, when I upload my music to icloud does all my music get uploaded in one big location or can I upload the playlists I already have?

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
It will do the playlists you already have... Just need to have those playlists on the computer that you enable iTunes Match witg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.