iTunes metadata not added when ripping a CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GilesM, Jan 3, 2012.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a friend who has asked me why, when he rips a CD in to his iTunes library, the metadata is not being imported.
    I suggested that this is because he has no iTunes account. Am I correct, should one get metadata without an account?

Not sure what to tell him and thought you chaps might know...

Regards

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Completely wrong. He doesn't need any iTunes account.

Look through the preferences; there is a setting that allows iTunes to lookup any ripped CDs in the Gracenote CD database. That may be turned off. Or he may not have an internet connection, in which case where is the metadata supposed to come from? (There is no metadata on a music CD itself).

Your friend may be ripping CDs that someone else burnt. Home-burnt CDs are not in any database, so you'll have to enter the data yourself.

Finally, the CD may just not be in the database. Depending on your taste of music, if the publishing company didn't enter it (they usually do), and nobody volunteered to enter it, then it won't be there. So if your friend has a commercially bought CD that others could purchase as well, and it is not present, then enter the information _before_ ripping the CD, and use "Submit track information". Taking care of what you enter and not entering any rubbish information is greatly appreciated.

3. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Gnasher, I will connect to his machine and ensure the Gracenote setting is applied.
    The CD's he is burning are all regular pop CD's so they should be in there!

Thanks again...