iTunes Movies - HDR10/Dolby Vision

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cryates, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Cryates macrumors 65816

So here's something I have not seen information on. Say I have a TV that supports HDR10, but not Dolby Vision. Some iTunes movie are labeled as HDR, some are labeled as Dolby Vision. Wonder Woman for example is labeled as 4K Dolby Vision. Does that mean on my television I will not be able to play that movie in HDR since my tv does not support Dolby Vision, or would that movie also support HDR10, it's just not labeled as such?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

No, Dolby Vision will not "step down" to HDR10. One type is not a subset of the other--they are completely different from each other.

It is possible to master content to support both Dolby Vision and HDR10, but to date I've never seen that done within a single service. If iTunes does this, I would hope the service would indicate so by showing both logos and not just one or the other.

3. Cryates thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, so just so I’m clear...Wonder Woman is listed as Dolby Vision, so on my tv that does not have DV it will only play in standard range with no HDR picture whatsoever?

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I would love to know this as well. As I see it, because iTunes is listing it as Dolby Vision, I'm guessing that's the only version they have. So if you setup the ATV to be 4K HDR for example, and you go to play a DV title on an HDR10 set, the ATV will apply it's faux HDR that it's applying to everything?

5. Poontaco macrumors regular

Not necessarily. Someone will have to try it and see.

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I've personally been struggling to really tell the difference in picture quality between the new 4k ATV and previous ATV4 connected to a 4k TV. Nothing is really jumping out at me as, "Oh, that's new and different", or "I see the PQ difference". It looks...fine. I would say I see more detail and contrast in the UI than the movies.

So, how are we even sure we're getting 4k HDR or DV through the ATV?

Also, and related to the IPP 10.5 - last I checked every 4k movie was listed as DV and not HDR on my iPad. Do the IPP support DV directly? I swear movies that I saw as HDR in iTunes were showing as DV in my library.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

That's one of my issues - how the heck do we know what we are getting if the ATV itself is always upscaling HDR?! And I only have a TV that supports HDR10. Honestly, I don't want HDR if it's an SDR source. It's fake and not needed. And manually changing things is not a solution - it's a workaround ;-)

And like you - I can't seem to find anything that's listed with just HDR. I know there were some before.

8. Cryates thread starter macrumors 65816

This is actually what prompted me to start the thread. I was seeing plenty of 'HDR' content a few days ago, and now it all seems like it's Dolby Vision.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i just watched some of wonderwoman on i didnt think it looks good at all .. i have a ks8000 65" .. it says it is playing 4k but didnt look like it to me .. when i did info on my tv it said 4k HDR so who knows

10. Cryates thread starter macrumors 65816

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Your TV will always say 4K HDR because that's the signal the box itself is sending. Part of the problem with having HDR forced by the box is you never know if the source actually has HDR or not.

What's your internet connection speed?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    That clears it up right :eek::rolleyes:

They label it as DV - which could mean DV or HDR10 or neither or both - but since the ATV forces HDR, you'll never really know.

12. Cryates thread starter macrumors 65816

Hahaha that was my thought. So it could be this, or it could be this, or it could be neither, or who the hell knows if it's both!

I am seeing movies in the iTunes store that are labeled as 'HDR' and some that are labeled as 'Dolby Vision' - so I think the real question is whether or not the DV files also support HDR10. We will probably never know that answer.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

That's always been the nice thing about my Roku or even the apps built into my Samsung. If I go somewhere - like Netflix - it will detect if I can play HDR. When I go to actually play it - I can see the TV blank out when it activates HDR (Samsung removed the popup they used to have). I can also check the settings to see my backlight at max.

Can't do any of that on the ATV because the damn HDR is always on!!!

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

gigabit

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Wow, ok....so that shouldn't be the problem. I was wondering whether you were hit with the issue where if the ATV detects a slow speed you'll get a lower stream.

Wonder Woman itself does has some grain to it. Do you own a copy of Pacific Rim? That's a really nice transfer.

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea ill check it out .. tried out deadpool since that is 4k hdr and it looked pretty good .

need to setup netflix and other apps but i have to enter my password for the app store even though i just did it for itunes .. and my pass is so friggin long

17. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you have an iPhone you can copy paste the password into the ATV. It's a PITA having to re-auth all these apps again.

18. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

hmm tried that earlier and it didnt work .. ill try again

19. bobbba macrumors regular

What happens if you have the ATV set to Dolby Vision and you playback an iTunes movie that is HDR10? As the ATV doesn't switch resolutions and formats, will it just play it back as 4K without HDR?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    I just tried it with the ATV set to HDR 4k 24fps and it played back the iTunes Dolby Vision movie as HDR (not DV). so for the best movie picture quality, you need to set it to a slow and judder interface format (DV 24fps)

20. cynics macrumors G4

Correct. If you have an HDR10 TV and play a DV movie you will have SDR.

However if they aren't labeling movies properly (for both) you could get HDR10.

HDR in general has been a **** show IMO.

While Dolby Vision is "better" than HDR10 it including royalties throws a wrench into the works. Because of that HDR10 is pushing hard and now with HDR10+ (TVs have been getting updated firmware for this, Amazon has movies that support it) the gap in technology narrows.

I feel Dolby could have offered a royalty free "Dolby Vision 10" (for example). And once they were the only kid on the block then offered "Dolby Vision 12" with a royalty. Everyone would be on the same page and Dolby wouldn't need to worry about HDR10++, HDR12, HDR12+ etc etc....

(yes I know there is a lot more too it to get production houses, streaming services, etc on board but anything is better than this)

21. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Not what I'm seeing at all. I am definitely seeing HDR from Dolby Vision movies with my set at 4k HDR 60.

22. jaysue macrumors regular

jaysue

Anyone notice this with Netflix, I have and HDR TV and Netflix label show as DV and Ultra 4K but no HDR, does this Apple Netflix app not do HDR cause I cant find any titles that are HDR.

23. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Netflix used to do a lot of Dolby Vision. Some shows were not HDR. Watch The Defenders. That is HDR.

24. jaysue macrumors regular

jaysue

My TV has the Netflix app and the Defenders show HDR label, but the Apple app shows only DV labels no HDR, does yours show HDR? Maybe something on my end?

25. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Dolby Vision is HDR. ;)