iTunes Music vs Original CD's

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NZed, Mar 18, 2012.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

So I've been checking prices and realize that maybe albums on the iTunes Store is more expensive than a real physical CD. I know buying off itunes saves time and if you live in a place where CD's are impossible to fine, its worth it. Also, it saves space and probably global warming.

I live near the CBD and access to real CD's are not hard at all. And with CDs that are cheaper than iTunes, i would probably still buy it from itunes.

What would you do? Buy it physically or online?

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I buy physically online from Amazon. Even after $3 shipping, I save money, I get a physical product that I can resell, and I have a back up.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Where I live, CDs are more expensive than iTunes (or at least they were the last time I looked), and then, it's not worth the effort to go to the store.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Last time I looked at a CD it was way more expensive than on iTunes (conditional on being in iTunes). With the convenience of just hitting a button and getting it all downloaded, I haven't bothered actually going out to look. However, when I can't find something on iTunes, I usually manage to find what I want on Amazon for a decent price.

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The worst price discrepancy I have seen is 22$, for a double album (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence from Dream Theater, if you want to know). 32$ at the local music store, 9,99$ on iTunes.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, that's crazy...

I was once waiting for a train in France and wandered into a Virgin store. I left wondering who in their right mind would pay 25 Euros for a CD...

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I haven't bought a CD since about 1995 or so but when I asked what the average prices of a single CD are these days, people on MR replied that they are about $15 or so. With that in Mind, I always bought my music on iTunes since the average price there was $9.99. Then don't forget the price of gas driving to a gas station. With iTunes, I can have the music in five minutes.

My old CDs and DVDs are sitting in several of those old Case Logic 100 CD albums collecting dust. What I could not find on iTunes, I ripped since some of them have been out of print for 10-15 years.

9. -lefty macrumors member

I still buy CDs as they are a lot cheaper than on iTunes, i can usually pick them up on eBay for around £3 including P&P. The rest come from Amazon, i think CDs are better as they're physical and i can rip them to Flac. Nice to look at as well :)

10. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

If you think about it, it's iTunes that are more expensive. Digital downloads don't really cost that much-- maybe the server cost. I would buy the CD instead of on iTunes-- best quality.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tend to buy CDs, since you get the lyric booklet etc. I've seen a few albums in iTunes that include the book, but they're few and far between.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

And it's only six songs (realistically). :eek:

Great album, though. I bought the CD some time ago. I think I paid around $20-22 for it at the time.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

14. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Anything I can buy on iTunes, I buy. When I can't find what I'm looking for, I will then order it online (usually if iTunes doesn't have it, my local store doesn't have it either).

15. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Except if you sell the CD, you no longer have the right to access your digital copy of it.

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

I guess it's better than blatantly pirating :D

17. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I prefer original CDs. I can then rip lossless FLAC copies and listen to them using Fidelia. The best quality iTunes offers is, what, 256 kbps? Absolutely atrocious quality and for 99 cents a song?! That may make sense for some music, but for any textured music, it's a waste.

18. -lefty macrumors member

This, why cant Apple offer FLAC/ALAC on the iTunes store, especially now that 1080P is offered for films and TV shows

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd rather buy the CD. So then I've got a physical copy to easily play in the car or anywhere else needed, and a ripped copy for my MP3 player (thanks to CDDB) with all my meta data and album art intact at any bit rate I want.

Also I love that I've inherited my parents record collection (well, the good bits ;)). Even ripped them to MP3 for them for all our iPods.