iTunes Music vs Original CD's

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
So I've been checking prices and realize that maybe albums on the iTunes Store is more expensive than a real physical CD. I know buying off itunes saves time and if you live in a place where CD's are impossible to fine, its worth it. Also, it saves space and probably global warming.

I live near the CBD and access to real CD's are not hard at all. And with CDs that are cheaper than iTunes, i would probably still buy it from itunes.

What would you do? Buy it physically or online?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Where I live, CDs are more expensive than iTunes (or at least they were the last time I looked), and then, it's not worth the effort to go to the store.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Last time I looked at a CD it was way more expensive than on iTunes (conditional on being in iTunes). With the convenience of just hitting a button and getting it all downloaded, I haven't bothered actually going out to look. However, when I can't find something on iTunes, I usually manage to find what I want on Amazon for a decent price.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Last time I looked at a CD it was way more expensive than on iTunes (conditional on being in iTunes). With the convenience of just hitting a button and getting it all downloaded, I haven't bothered actually going out to look. However, when I can't find something on iTunes, I usually manage to find what I want on Amazon for a decent price.
The worst price discrepancy I have seen is 22$, for a double album (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence from Dream Theater, if you want to know). 32$ at the local music store, 9,99$ on iTunes.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The worst price discrepancy I have seen is 22$, for a double album (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence from Dream Theater, if you want to know). 32$ at the local music store, 9,99$ on iTunes.
Wow, that's crazy...

I was once waiting for a train in France and wandered into a Virgin store. I left wondering who in their right mind would pay 25 Euros for a CD...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I haven't bought a CD since about 1995 or so but when I asked what the average prices of a single CD are these days, people on MR replied that they are about $15 or so. With that in Mind, I always bought my music on iTunes since the average price there was $9.99. Then don't forget the price of gas driving to a gas station. With iTunes, I can have the music in five minutes.

My old CDs and DVDs are sitting in several of those old Case Logic 100 CD albums collecting dust. What I could not find on iTunes, I ripped since some of them have been out of print for 10-15 years.

-lefty

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2012
UK
I still buy CDs as they are a lot cheaper than on iTunes, i can usually pick them up on eBay for around £3 including P&P. The rest come from Amazon, i think CDs are better as they're physical and i can rip them to Flac. Nice to look at as well :)

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you think about it, it's iTunes that are more expensive. Digital downloads don't really cost that much-- maybe the server cost. I would buy the CD instead of on iTunes-- best quality.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I tend to buy CDs, since you get the lyric booklet etc. I've seen a few albums in iTunes that include the book, but they're few and far between.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
And it's only six songs (realistically). :eek:

Great album, though. I bought the CD some time ago. I think I paid around $20-22 for it at the time.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Anything I can buy on iTunes, I buy. When I can't find what I'm looking for, I will then order it online (usually if iTunes doesn't have it, my local store doesn't have it either).

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I prefer original CDs. I can then rip lossless FLAC copies and listen to them using Fidelia. The best quality iTunes offers is, what, 256 kbps? Absolutely atrocious quality and for 99 cents a song?! That may make sense for some music, but for any textured music, it's a waste.

-lefty

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2012
UK
I prefer original CDs. I can then rip lossless FLAC copies and listen to them using Fidelia. The best quality iTunes offers is, what, 256 kbps? Absolutely atrocious quality and for 99 cents a song?! That may make sense for some music, but for any textured music, it's a waste.
This, why cant Apple offer FLAC/ALAC on the iTunes store, especially now that 1080P is offered for films and TV shows

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd rather buy the CD. So then I've got a physical copy to easily play in the car or anywhere else needed, and a ripped copy for my MP3 player (thanks to CDDB) with all my meta data and album art intact at any bit rate I want.

Also I love that I've inherited my parents record collection (well, the good bits ;)). Even ripped them to MP3 for them for all our iPods.