iTunes, not enough room to copy requested files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mdehoogh, May 9, 2013.

1. mdehoogh macrumors member

6th gen 8GB iPod nano. There is 638.3MB of "free space". When I go to the music tab and select additional playlists/albums, the "free space" shrinks accordingly. When I click Sync, it displays a window that says there's not enough room, iTunes will copy as many files as possible with two buttons, OK and Cancel.

Does anyone know why iTunes won't let me copy more music? Even though there's plenty of space left?

Additionally, it doesn't seem to matter if I click OK or Cancel, it continues with the sync and fills with partial albums no matter what. I'd like the Cancel button to actually cancel the sync so I can adjust what music goes on the device.

Here's a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/D5uACOU.png

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I have the impression that the calculation of empty space is not quite correct, so if you fill an iPod Nano up to the last 50 MB or so, it has happened to me that iTunes first thought the music would fit, and then decided it wouldn't.

I think you can stop the syncing at any time, then adjust your playlists.

3. mdehoogh thread starter macrumors member

I can maybe understand a ~50MB discrepancy in calculating free space but 600MB+ is a little ridiculous.

I also noticed something else strange. I tried to add a Pink Floyd playlist with about 15 songs in it. After the dialogue box telling me there wasn't enough space, and the sync completed. It had randomly chosen two of the Pink Floyd songs and instead of 20+ other playlists on the iPod, there were only about 11-13 (didn't count). I assumed when it attempts to copy as many files as possible, A) it would leave existing files/playlists alone and B) it would copy in order of the playlist/album rather than pick random files.

I was hoping to avoid it but I suppose I'll have to do a restore and see if I can fit more music on.