iTunes not in 64bit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ogmc, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ogmc macrumors newbie

Finally got my UTD DVD and installed SL.
    And like many users out there, I like to run it in 64bit to utilize the full 4GB of ram.

Anyone got any ideas of when they would provide a 64bit version of it?
    As my iTunes could really do with the extra ram addressing.

Attached Files:

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

There is no 64 bit iTunes for mac since it is a Carbon app. Apple never promised nor promoted it either. In fact during development they specifically excluded iTunes, Front Row, and DVD player as not being 64 bit based. Fro Apple to provide such a version they would have to completely re-write iTunes as a Cocoa application - something that I don't see them doing for awhile since there is no advantage and it would make developing for windows that much harder due to a different code base. Apple doesn't need to make iTunes Cocoa - Carbon apps still run just fine in Snow Leopard and the Carbon framework is not going anywhere and there really isn't that much reason to bring it to 64 bit - its requirements do not demand it.

64 bit on windows is of course a different story all together - Apple was forced into it due to the requirements made by Microsoft.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You don't need to "run it" in 64-bit mode to utilize >4GB RAM. The kernel and apps are separate - you can run a 64-bit app with a 32-bit kernel and it will still fully utilize all the advantages of 64-bit mode.

It'll be a while before we see a 64-bit version of iTunes, as it needs a rewrite into Cocoa (like Finder and other apps did).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.