iTunes Plus, but not DRM Free??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Nov 25, 2007.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I was purchasing a song in iTunes, and when I clicked buy this popped up:

[​IMG]

I've never seen this before, and the song did not have a + sign next to it. After it downloaded I looked at the file info, and it is a 256K Protected AAC. Since when do they have iTunes Plus quality songs that are still DRMed, is this something new? I don't remember reading about it.

2. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Guess Im the only one... Could this mean their upgrading the quality of their entire catalog even if some of the songs are still Protected?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What artist/label was it?

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just to clarify: You paid for 128KBit + DRM, but you got 256KBit + DRM?

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Don't laugh it was Perry Como - It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas (Don't ask) and it's on Horizen Records

Basically yes, but iTunes specifically said it was being upgraded to iTunes Plus, I didn't realize that they had any songs that were iTunes plus WITH DRM.

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i believe there is a setting to look for itunes plus automatically. and if you have old tracks that were not. itunes could upgrade them for you. and now that itunes plus is the same price it is a free upgrade. did you upgrade? if it's itunes plus there is no drm. when you buy it it should say purchased AAC audio file, instead of protected AAC audio file, in the kind lable

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Doh! Im a moron, I guess I should wait till Im awake before I post next time. I glanced at the file info while I was half asleep, and must have seen "Purchased AAC audio file" and thought it said "Protected." Close thread :) It's DRM free!

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just to clarify, it's not free to upgrade. It's $0.30 per track (not sure about albums). so, almost free.

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Not anymore, they changed the price so both regular and plus songs are all $0.99 now.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

but they left the upgrade price the same.

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Good point, I didn't even think about that when I read "upgrade" I just thought about getting plus instead of regular.