Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iTunes Remote app with support for Apple Music and the Apple TV apps in macOS Catalina, enabling a feature that was first introduced earlier this week in macOS Catalina 10.15.2.

Following today's iOS update and the macOS 10.15.2 update, the iTunes Remote app can be used to control playback in the Music and TV apps in macOS Catalina.

itunesremoteapp-800x859.jpg

The new version of the iTunes Remote app also supports Dark Mode in iOS 13 and later, enabling a darker theme when Dark Mode is turned on.

iTunes Remote is a free app for controlling music libraries and other content on the Mac with the iPhone. It can be downloaded from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iTunes Remote App Gains Dark Mode and macOS Catalina Support

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Use it all the time, and was a major reason I didn't upgrade the media server. It's the only way to play local content across multiple speakers without getting on the computer itself.

Reactions: ke-iron

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
iTunes Remote STILL can’t (after how many years?) finish loading metadata from a large music collection.

Useless. ?

Yet Plex Media Server handles large collections just fine and you can actually play content from the Mac on the iOS device with the Plex app.

Reactions: martyjmclean

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
You can play
iTunes Remote STILL can’t (after how many years?) finish loading metadata from a large music collection.

Useless. ?

Yet Plex Media Server handles large collections just fine and you can actually play content from the Mac on the iOS device with the Plex app.

You can do that, just via home sharing in the music app, not the remote app.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Agreed! My dad bought me that cassette tape back in 1985 or so. I had to hide it from my Christian conservative mom. Good memories!
Have it on vinyl back in 1985 and still cherish it today. Regularly play it now (via Apple Music), even though my wife hates it - Jump is the worst song on the album. ‘House of Pain’ just amazing. ? ?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
This is still the only way to play Apple Music from an iOS device to multiple speakers that do not have Airplay 2 support.

is it possible to search Apple Music now, or does it still require music to be added to the library first?

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Have it on vinyl back in 1985 and still cherish it today. Regularly play it now (via Apple Music), even though my wife hates it - Jump is the worst song on the album. ‘House of Pain’ just amazing. ? ?

I’m kind of embarrassed how excited I get when I hear “Jump”. I know it’s cheesy as hell but I just can’t help it!

I highly recommend listening to Marc Maron’s WTF podcast where he interviews David Lee Roth, holy crap it’s entertaining. David is hilariously high energy and talkative. Lots of stories.

Reactions: gazwas

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
How about a separate version of iTunes that supports app installs and a version of iOS 13 that allows transfer of app purchases back to the computer?

esh314

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
I'm delighted. This app has been broken since Catalina came out and it's been a huge bummer. I thought it was permanently dead. So glad I was wrong--This news made my day!

Reactions: cuencap

austy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
I still can't control Music with the remote app after the update! Tried disabling and enabling home share still no joy. Anyone manage to get it working?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I use it with 3 versions of iTunes: ver.10, ver.11 and ver.12 so for that reason I held back from updating it. It used to have 12.7.5 "recommended" for the optimal performance and the fact that they upped to 12.8 makes it look like it will be incompatible with older software. in iTunes 10 and 11 the app has issues switching tracks belonging to different playlists unless you go to the album view and start playing it, and also when you want to play it from the search results view when another track is playing.

P.S. In all three I turned Home Sharing on and can browse the contents of my entire Library.

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
This is still the only way to play Apple Music from an iOS device to multiple speakers that do not have Airplay 2 support.

is it possible to search Apple Music now, or does it still require music to be added to the library first?

No. Unfortunately you still can't search Apple Music from Remote app. In fact you can't do anything related to Apple Music from the Remote app - play the stations, etc. Sucks. And they've removed the internet radio stations.

I still can't control Music with the remote app after the update! Tried disabling and enabling home share still no joy. Anyone manage to get it working?

It didn't work via HomeSharing for me despite it having worked that way previously. I had to add my iPhone as a remote in Music on my Mac by entering the 4 digit code on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.