iTunes requires better specs than Crysis to run on a PC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apollo1444, Feb 11, 2012.

1. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I swear to god... worst software release ever, wifi sync never works, it takes ages to load... :eek:
    I have an i7 and 16gb ram HD 5770 still it takes ages to respond... I can open battlefield 3 in 2 seconds

I do have a mac but my main computer is a PC...

/rant over

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's not about your specs... it runs just as bad on a system specced much lower. Same goes for Safari. Seems Apple just did the bare minimum to get the thing working on windows PCs since they figured that it wouldn't be only Mac users using their idevices. Way back when, idevices were OSX exclusive. I don't think we saw iTunes on windows until the third or fourth gen iPod.

3. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

That'll learn you to buy a Windows PC. Next time, make it a Mac and save yourself the headache!

On a more serious note, I haven't been able to load iTunes on my iBook for a couple years now. Can't seem to find one that runs on PPC.

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It's iTunes. I mean, it's not like you're opening up Microsoft Paint. iTunes does alot of things.

Photoshop loads just like iTunes.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Photoshop loads much faster and is much more responsive than iTunes for me. And photoshop is (well should be) much more resource intensive than iTunes. Hell I could load vmware, boot osx, and load itunes in there about as quickly as it takes itunes to start up natively. Fwiw, my PC has a Core i7 clocked at 4ghz with 6GB RAM and a 160GB SSD as the system/OS drive.

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I actually timed that. On my SSD-equipped PC, Photoshop CS5 64bit takes about 3 seconds to open. iTunes, with empty library, about 15 seconds. Excel is less than 2 seconds. This is on i7 system with 16gb RAM

As mentioned before, Apple did not want to alienate PC crowd from using iPod originally, and put together whatever they can just as long as it works. I do not think they spent a lot of (or even any) time optimizing.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

iTunes on OS X is beautiful. On Windows, it's disturbing.

9. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Ahh rose colored glasses...

iTunes looks identical on PC and OSX, other than the obvious difference of dropdown menus. It's the guts of the program that cause these performance differences.

10. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Apple? "just scraps something together"? Never. C'mon, we're talking about Apple here.

Are you sure you've updated iTunes?

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I understand your frustration, but it's similar to Microsoft and the Mac version of Office - slower, buggier and lacking feature parity. Microsoft would prefer you own a PC. And Apple would prefer you own a Mac.

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

HAhahahahhahahah

I'm sorry, but your post just reminds me of someone that doesn't have both a PC and Mac. And thus doesn't truly know the difference/have a clue.
    But you're a smart guy, I'm sure you wouldn't just make a dumb assumption like this.

13. apollo1444 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a macbook pro already I don't need a desktop mac, I love gaming on PC

14. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

You obviously never used iTunes on a Windows PC.

15. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

ITunes runs great in my 2011 iMac... but... it also runs great on my 4 year old Dell with a C2D and 4 GB of ram.

OP: something is wrong with your PC.

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Mine has definitely been slower lately on my Windows 7 machine compared to my Macbook Pro, but it's not unusable. I'm sure they must have different people doing the coding for the windows and mac versions so that's probably what it is

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wholeheartedly disagree. I use Office on Mac all the time and have never noticed it being slower or buggier. Obviously I don;t use each and every feature in either version of the suite, so I cannot comment on features, or lackthereof, but have never found anything I needed to do in Office not available to me on the OSX release.

----------

I don't doubt this. The issue is that it's just not good. I don;t think anyone needs a reason as to why one of the rickest companies in the world can't get their software up to snuff on "that other OS". We'd rather it just be fixed. :D

----------

While I am not going to refute your claims, I can say that I have used many a PC and iTunes has always run smoother on OSX. Just looking on the web over the years, 9/10 users would agree. They can't all have something wrong with their PCs, especially the power users who build their own...

18. dknightd macrumors 6502

I wish this was true. it is true itunes is worse on windows than on osx. But on ios (I mean osx) it still leaves alot to be desired. They could use a proper database back end. and maybe use more than one processor at the same time for some tasks. Apple could make iTunes a killer app if they wanted, instead they use it mostly as a front end for their store.

19. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Now now, I'm very technologically cultured you know. I'm fluent in both Windows and Mac. I use Windows the most though, and I'm using iTunes right now.

I understand what you mean, but you have to admit- your claims are at least a little exaggerated. Just a little?

iTunes is slow really. There's no way anyone would use it as their main media player. But I've always admired iTunes.

20. matttye macrumors 601

iTunes runs okay on my pc. I have a core2duo e8400 (dual core 3GHz) with 4GB ram.

The only thing that's really a problem is the music store, which freezes and crashes so many times I end up not buying anything and just find it on spotify instead.

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

You haven't used Office for Mac lately have you..

22. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Yeah it may be a bit exaggerated :p

I'm a Windows user myself, and I never noticed any problems myself. But there was a period of time (a month) when I used a MacBook as my primary machine, and damn. After seeing iTunes run on that soooo smoothly, you see iTunes for Windows in a different way.

23. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Apple can't afford to hire a few decent developers for the Windows platform apparently. Their Boot Camp drivers are very poor and iTunes is probably the slowest program most people will ever use on a Windows PC.

24. apollo1444 thread starter macrumors 65816

I consider myself an Apple fanboy but I'm no sheep, unlike some of you... Office for mac is miles away more reliable than iTunes for Windows...

25. matttye macrumors 601

I'm far from an iSheep, but iTunes runs fine other than the store for me.