Itunes store blocked in Gunagzhou,China

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stylinexpat, Aug 27, 2010.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Just tried to buy a couple of applications for my new Iphone 4 only to find that the Itunes store is pretty much blocked as I get a denied error. Also found this on the net while looking for more information on this.. WTF?? would anyone want to block a music and application store??

http://www.mobilewhack.com/china-blocks-itunes-access/

2. celticpride678

That article was published in 2008. It must be an issue with your device specifically.

3. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Please explain. I am using my MBP with my Itunes store account. It worked fine earlier on in Hong-Kong and works fine in Taiwan as well.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you scroll down to the bottom of the window in the iTunes Store, what flag does it show? Are you trying to connect to something other than the Chinese iTunes Store? I know that the ISPs in countries that restrict the internet access of its citizens use DNS servers which don't allow access to sites/addresses/servers external to the originating country, so that could be a problem there...

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's China, they tend to monitor stuff pretty closely.

6. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see a US flag. I usually just open my Itunes application and am able to order or buy what I need.

7. longhornx macrumors newbie

HK and Taiwan are not part of the communism China.

8. zxcvb macrumors regular

zxcvb

they are

9. longhornx macrumors newbie

10. Neil P macrumors member

Taiwan is indeed independent, but Hong Kong was returned to the People's Republic of China in 1997 ('twas formerly a British colony)

11. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just know that I can access Itunes just fine in Hong-Kong and Taiwan. Also the internet there is very fast as well. Currently internet speeds are snail pace and I can't access I the Itunes store to purchase applications :mad:

12. longhornx macrumors newbie

Well have you ever heard of the GFW in mainland China?

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It sounds like you need a Genius appointment and if all is well then a conversation with your ISP/carrier.

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

This! Let this big ass image explain it to you:
    [​IMG]

In summary:
    [​IMG]

15. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

16. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried again today via my new Iphone 4 instead of using my MBP and found that a new page opens up with some sort of redirect. Even using the Iphone it is blocked or redirected.:mad: :rolleyes:

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I should have put a more recent version of it, but I like the sheer size of it! :cool:
    [​IMG]

you can't escape the jīndùn gōngchéng!!!

[​IMG]

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Your ignorance is amusing :rolleyes:

Neither Taiwan nor Hong Kong are ruled by the PRC ('communist China').

HK and Macau are 'special administrative regions', which are ruled by a separate government, while Taiwan is part of the Republic of China (ROC), which is simply unrelated to the PRC.

And FWIW- China (and most other 'communist states') no longer actively practices communism.

To the OP: I had no trouble using the iTunes store while in Beijing (as of February 2010), so it is unlikely that China is blocking the Store right now. Perhaps you should go to a nearby coffee shop with WiFi and try the Store there?

EDIT: Should probably add that the iTunes Store (both HK and US) works fine here in Hong Kong.

19. Ahngau macrumors newbie

Can't access in Shenzhen also. Don't really know whether it is China blocking the traffic or Apple restricting access from China.

20. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried that earlier today at various Wifi places and it did not work. Tried using different SIM cards as well via Iphone and via Wifi using the Iphone along with Wifi using the MBP. They definitely have cut off Itunes here in China :(

21. longhornx macrumors newbie

that dude is brainwashed by the communists. forgive him lol.

btw, ROC ruled China (including mainland and Taiwan) before 1949 when they were defeated by the communists and lost control of the mainland.

22. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That must be new... Shame then.

Buy music from Amazon then :p

Well, unrelated right now :eek:

23. longhornx macrumors newbie

Get a VPN

24. asianshepherd macrumors newbie

iTunes still on...

I'm in Beijing and have had no problem accessing iTunes from here. Even as I write now.

BTW, Communist China is communist in the head (aka central government) and downright capitalist in the soul (aka the average Chinese on the streets).

Taiwan is a big pain in China's butt that refused to go away. Taiwanese will distance themselves from Mainland Chinese and is definitely NOT under Chinese rule or whatever you call it.

Macau & Hong Kong were former colonies now back in Chinese fold but they have different rules when it comes to general civil rights and governance. Reading the news will tell you what the differences are.

Cydia, for some strange reason, is BLOCKED here in China. Go figure.

25. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Here in Shanghai apple.com has been blocked for some time, and by that I mean it still pulls up unformatted webpages, but all the links and photos are gone and it's just the text. FWIW, If I open iTunes then I can still access the iTunes store that way.

Much more aggravating, for me at least, is that the software updates are blocked and I can't download the latest versions of iTunes or iOS for my iPhone.

And yes Taiwan is a country - the ROC - with its own democratically elected government, legislative system, currency, passport, flag, and military defenses (courtesy of the US)! ;) Towards the end of the Qing Dynasty the Manchus claimed it as a "province" of China, although they never ruled it directly and ceded it 8 years later after losing the war with Japan. It was then a Japanese colony for 50 years until 1945. So China's claim on Taiwan is spurious at best, considering that the Qing themselves were foreign rulers and not really Chinese.

Hong Kong was officially returned to the PRC in 1997, under the aegis of "one country, two systems" but retains its common law legal system, democratic elections, independent judiciary, free press and media, currency, flag, and passport.