MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Wired.com discusses more numbers ranging from 200-275,000 in the first day on Apple's new iTunes Music Store.

The industry seems abuzz about the potential success of the new iTunes Music Store. Of particular interest to users, however, is the additional of new tracks very shortly. The article quotes a representative from Maverick records -- home to Alanis Morissette, the Deftons and Michelle Branch -- and notes that their ommision from the iTunes Music Store was a technical glitch and that 90% of Maverick's catalog should be available within a week.

As suspected, it seems that licensing issues may be preventing immediate release for international users:

The labels' Byzantine licensing process is preventing Apple from offering more songs from more artists, and from bringing the store to international users. Most tracks have to be cleared by a different licensing authority for each country.

... but the good news is that according to the article, international licensing authorities are contacting Apple to get on board.

Competition is heating up though, with MusicMatch expecting to debut a similar system later this year.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
More songs, International Licensing and More... sounds good to me. The independent labels will be a good addition, and others than in the US will be happy to get the service ...

Unless I'm misunderstanding the box and the headline that has no story in it ;)
(edit)It's showing up now...(/edit)

I hope some of the "imports" will make it into the selection... there are quite a few things that I haven't been able to find or have been cost-prohibitive to order through the stores.

All in all this should be a positive move so that Apple's service will flourish.

Comment

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Going by the design of MusicMatch's existing software I think it's quite clear that they've yet to hire anybody with a clue. They're not the people to worry about.

As an aside, the quicker we get international support, the better.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
No!! Ads with audio!

Ironically, I stopped reading the Wired article halfway through because of the Absolut banner ad (Flash) making raucous smashing sounds over and over while I was trying to listen to my iTunes music! Obnoxious! Not even a mute button in the ad. Bad move, Wired, that will drive traffic away.

Comment

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
This seems like more good news to me. I hope that the international licensing authorities get signed up quickly... It would be great to hear that iTMS was available in most countries around the world by the time the Windows version came out.

As to competition, isn't there an old saying something like 'the threat you know you can prepare for, but the threat you don't know is the one to worry about.' I think that services like MusicMatch, while they may provide some competition, aren't going to be the biggest concern. It's the unknown competition from someone like MS that we should worry about...

Comment

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
International iTunes

Anyway, being in the UK, its great to hear that the Music Store will be available. At the moment, the average CD cost £12.99 (approximately $20 i reckon), so even if the price of an album goes to £10 as oppoesed to $10 - a difference of about $6 - it'll still be cheaper by £3! Great! :D

Glad to see it wasn't Apple's fault about these liscencing issues, but maybe they should have made sure it was internationally available and not endure this tirade now from us non-USA living citizens fed up with the US bias at Apple. Yes, its an American company, yes, this would have taken longer, but they're poor excuses - if approximately half of the world's Mac users are non-USA based, Apple should make sure they release any new feature simultaneously. iPhoto's ability to send orders for books of your photos printed for you is still not available outside USA, and Appleworks 6.2.7 upgrade was out later for users of "International English" (whatever that means).:mad:

You don't need any liscencing for those now, do ya?

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
OK, pasted the article into SimpleText for silent readong...

The iTunes Music Store sold more songs in the first day than all download services combined sold in the last six months. And they sold to PC users, which should have been a massively bigger market. I'd say Apple pulled off something pretty impressive! And sales will go up as the library grows.

Then add in the Windows iTunes...

Comment

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Is the international thing working both ways? I have been looking for a lot of UK electronic artists and not finding any. I'd like to see this resolved.

Dan

Comment

greenfruit

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2002
UK
£12.99 for a CD!! thats quite cheap. Theyre usualy £15-£17.

As for the smaller labels, I guess those like Skint (Fatboy Slim and Mr Scruff amongst others) will be quite low down that waiting list and would probably have to contact Apple themselves, im sure its just a matter of time though.

Its a shame theres no wish list in iTunes 4 for the Music Stores as theres a load of tracks I want to get but hope I dont forget.

I cant wait for the chance to try it out properly and actually buy stuff.

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: iTunes Store: More Songs, International Licensing and More

Originally posted by Macrumors
The article quotes a representative from Maverick records -- home to Alanis Morissette, the Deftons and Michelle Branch -- and notes that their ommision from the iTunes Music Store was a technical glitch and that 90% of Maverick's catalog should be available within a week.

Ma-do-nna!
Ma-do-nna!
Ma-do-nna!

Comment

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
They've already added...

I browsed extensively on the first day, and when I went back to browse last night, I noticed dozens of new artist and albums added since my first visit.

There should be some mechanism to indicate "new albums since your last visit..." heck, I'm going to go on right now and suggest that! :)

Comment

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
If and when this service rolls out in Canada, it better not be the equivilant of $1US a song, cause thats about $1.50 CDN (although the Canadian dollar hit a 5 year high yesterday). We're looking at $15.00 an album, I can pay less than that and get the CD and the artwork and no physical restrictions (I know it still doesnt give me the right to do whatever I want with it). It better be more like $1 CDN because our CD prices are similar number values here, despite the exchange difference. Now will Apple be willing to take less profit in Canada along with the Labels? I'm interested to see what happens.

Comment

greenfruit

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2002
UK
Would I be right that even with the embeded security info in the AAC files from the music store, if you burnt them to an audio CD then ripped that - all the security info would be gone?

Apologies if im talking bollocks.

Comment

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Would I be right that even with the embeded security info in the AAC files from the music store, if you burnt them to an audio CD then ripped that - all the security info would be gone?

Yes...but ripping from the CD is recompressing a tune that was already compressed. Depending on the song and depending on your taste, that may or may not be acceptable.

Comment

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by greenfruit

Apologies if im talking bollocks.
yes, you're right, but one of the articles I read on fortune said something like, "the sound quality would be terrible." There was no explananation for why.
max

Comment

Dephex Twin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
Its a shame theres no wish list in iTunes 4 for the Music Stores as theres a load of tracks I want to get but hope I dont forget.
Yes there sort of is. In the "Store" preferences, set it to "Buy using a shopping cart". A new sublist of the Store menu comes up on your playlist called "Shopping Cart". Then for any song you might want, click "add to cart", and it stays there until you delete or buy it.

Comment

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by adamberti
If and when this service rolls out in Canada, it better not be the equivilant of $1US a song, cause thats about $1.50 CDN (although the Canadian dollar hit a 5 year high yesterday). We're looking at $15.00 an album, I can pay less than that and get the CD and the artwork and no physical restrictions (I know it still doesnt give me the right to do whatever I want with it). It better be more like $1 CDN because our CD prices are similar number values here, despite the exchange difference. Now will Apple be willing to take less profit in Canada along with the Labels? I'm interested to see what happens.

I agree this will be interesting. My guess is that Apple will have to negotiate a deal with the Canadian divisions of the labels - same as a store selling CDs. Under those cirsumstances, price should be up for negotiation as well.

Comment

greenfruit

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2002
UK
the shopping cart doesnt work if youre outside the US, you have to register your card to use the shopping cart, ive tried it.

I dont see why a song burnt to cd then ripped would be worse than any other song ripped in the same way. I guess Ill give it a go when I can buy music and see (or hear).

I doubt itll be an issue for me though as I dont tend to share Mp3s anyway.

theres a Canadian type music person here - http://www.benhammersley.com/archives/004603.html - for any of you canadian types.

Comment

mrdrumbum

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2003
i need my dave matthews band!

you think itunes will be popular for windows users? most pc users i know don't even like using quicktime. apple programs on windows don't seem to work as fluidly as on a mac. maybe wmp will soon have a music store.

Comment

andrewh

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
San Francisco
Regarding MusicMatch entering the market, I find that to be a monumental challenge for them. It took Jobs a year of negotiating those deals. To run a music service like Apple's took a lot of R&D money and expertise to pull it off. Plus, the record labels are very cautious about this online distribution of their music. I'm skeptical that they would open the floodgates to other companies yet. It will take some time for that to happen. I don't think a Microsoft has any interest in this arena, but I'm sure they're a little jealous right now.

Let's hope the record companies like Apple's way of doing this and let them lead the way. I'd like to think they hold Apple in a higher regard than the gluttons like Microsoft.

iTune for Windows will be very successful for Apple. There is no way MusciMatch's version (even if they could pull off the licensing deals) will be even close.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I dont see why a song burnt to cd then ripped would be worse than any other song ripped in the same way. I guess Ill give it a go when I can buy music and see (or hear).

because you are starting with less information.

CD -> AAC (lose some info)
AAC -> CD still haven't regained that info
CD -> MP3/AAC (lose more info)

whether that's noticable or not... depends on the song or the listener.

arn

Comment

EponymousCow

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Cross encoding

Originally posted by maxterpiece
yes, you're right, but one of the articles I read on fortune said something like, "the sound quality would be terrible." There was no explananation for why.
max

MP3 and AAC are both lossy compression schemes. They work by trying to throw out data that is inaudible to the human ear. The flip side is that if the compression rate is high (low bitrate), there will be audible artifacts in the music. With a well chosen bitrate and encoding scheme, most people will never notice.

However, if you convert from AAC to MP3, you are going to retain the artifacts from AAC encoding and add the artifacts from MP3 encoding. Thus the sound quality can only get worse.

OTOH, iTunes 4 allows you to encode CDs as unrestricted AAC (.m4a instead off .m4p), so you probably wouldn't introduce any new artifacts if you did that.

I'm sure that Apple left that in there deliberately. People will find ways around the restrictions provided by Apple. So Apple just put in speed bumps instead of trying to blockade the road. They are a reminder that you are doing something that might be illegal, but deciding for sure is up to you.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.