iTunes Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iTunes Music Store now lists Sweden, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark amongst the countries that offer iTunes Music Sales.

Rumors of the imminent expansion came in late April, alongside rumors that iTunes Australia would also be included. Australia's store appears to be delayed due to contract disagreements at this time.

Members are encouraged to browse through other forum readers song recommendations at DailyTunes. Unfortunately due to regional licensing issues, specific songs may not be available in all countries.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Once the aussie store goes up I can't think of people from any other countries whov been waiting for one.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
SAukland said:
So much for that press conference. :rolleyes:
Yeah, sometimes I wonder what really happened in those 10 days or so between April 28th and today that kept Apple waiting...

It would have been cooler on the anniversary of the iTMS, but it is good that it's here now.

Still holding out for all my Aussie friends....keep the faith!

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Remember guys this is probably more to do with the Recording industry here getting in the way. Greedy bastards, if they're anything like the major banks here, were screwed... :(

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
So, next biggest store in Europe looks to me to be Poland.

Any other guesses for Europe?

Looks like other big countries are Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia. Any one else that REALLY big?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
This is becoming very frustrating i have a list of about 150 songs that i want, the record companies wont get any money of me becasue i don't want the full album for the one decent song on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :(

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Macrumors said:
Unfortunately due to regional licensing issues, specific songs may not be available in all countries.
Which, I think, is a major drag on the coolness of the music store...

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I think this "regional licensing" is bull. Why would artists NOT want to sell music in other countries. There is a world wide market now, why not have a world wide audience?

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
jared_kipe said:
I think this "regional licensing" is bull. Why would artists NOT want to sell music in other countries. There is a world wide market now, why not have a world wide audience?
Because they got a really bad foot infection from stepping on some poorly made (ie: with nails) carpet last time they were touring there.

No actually it's the label that enforces regional licensing. Of course every artist wants their music to be played to the broadest audience possible (and I don't just mean to a really fat guy). Artists have very little/no control when it comes to stuff like this. This is why record companies are pure evil.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
jared_kipe said:
its not the artists, its the record companies. they charge different prices in each country, plus different release dates etc.

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
I offer my bitter congratulations

I am SOO sarcastically excited for those people who now get to enjoy the benefits of iTMS. Well, I am incredibly jealous.

I was sure Australia would be joining you, but unfortunately, I have to wait thanks to stupid CEOs with stupid agendas.

Oh well, back to work

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Whazzup with that crazy Apple today?
iTunes 4.8 with video "support", Airport Express w/30 free iTMS songs, and new iTunes countries all come out, and nary a peep from the boys in Cupertino....

What will tomorrow bring?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Finally some progress! Hopefully Oz won't be too far behind, you guys really deserve it down there, you've been waiting for too long!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Congrats to the four new countries.

How many Australians are going to give up waiting and move to another country if Apple adds one more other country to the music store? :eek:

I'm sure Apple wants to get the contracts signed and get more international stores opened. The order in which stores open may be related just as much to contract negotiations as to where Apple sees the biggest markets.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
jared_kipe said:
It's price discrimination. Selling the exact same thing for a different price, depending on who's buying.

They know the U.S. is very competitive, and they have to offer a lower price: $.99. They also know that Europe and Australia are less competitive and they can get away with a higher price.

These people don't want one world market. If you want a cheaper price in your country, you have to have a competitive market there so they have no choice but to make it cheap.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
~Shard~ said:
Yeah, we all know it's coming, it's just a matter of when they can get this contract dispute or whatever it is sorted out....
Ah yes, but the flag wasn't up an hour ago (because, um... I check it every hour). Big developments like this (I remember back in the day when it last happened... 2 weeks ago) should be savoured and rejoiced by people like me with very little social activity.

Also it could mean that it's up and ready to go (ie: all contracts have been signed, EMI has been destroyed by a fleet of evil flying quinces) and they are just waiting for the "right time" to unleash it. Of course, it doesn't mean this at all, but I can hope can't I?

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Trowaman said:
So, next biggest store in Europe looks to me to be Poland.

Any other guesses for Europe?

Looks like other big countries are Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia. Any one else that REALLY big?
Brazil and India. Maybe South Africa, and Israel.