iTunes Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Music.ch claims (German) that Apple will be launching the iTunes Music Store for Switzerland as well as Denmark, Sweden and Norway on April 28th (Thursday).

This information is reportedly based on an internal memo.

Unclear is how much pricing per song will be for the individual countries.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Tcnorman said:
I am very excited for Switzerland, Denmark, and Norway. Sweden however I do not share the same feelings for.
why not ? i think it is great that more are going to get itunes music store

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
This is an old rumour. I only hope Switzerland and our Scandinavian friends finally get an iTMS. Please Apple let it be true. That would be one hell of a week (new hardware on Tuesday, iTMS launch on Thursday and of course Tiger on Friday :) )

tduality

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Finally...(hopefully)

That's good news. But I guess the record companies tried to get a premium in Switzerland. CHF 1.55 would be the eqivalent to one Euro according to Calculator.

Let's see.....

tduality

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Tcnorman said:
I am very excited for Switzerland, Denmark, and Norway. Sweden however I do not share the same feelings for.
Hahaha, that was funny, if it was a joke, else I don't know what to think...

Anyway, two words: At Last!
As a Swede, I'd be deeply grateful!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Great to see four more European countries get into the mix. As an American, I still feel disproportionally more sorry for our Aussie friends. I don't know why, I just hope Apple gets the Australian iTMS out soon.

In the meantime, congrats to Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway! :)

pkis

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2004
Basel, Switzerland
Zaty said:
This is an old rumour. I only hope Switzerland and our Scandinavian friends finally get an iTMS. Please Apple let it be true. That would be one hell of a week (new hardware on Tuesday, iTMS launch on Thursday and of course Tiger on Friday :) )
actually, the rumor's not very old :) There was an article in a Norwegian newspaper about the launch, a spokesman for Apple Europe stated that Switzerland would get its store this year, which was later confirmed by a spokeswoman for Apple Switzerland. Also, I've read (although I'm not certain about that source) that Apple employees started an internal testing process for the Swiss, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian stores last week.

While getting publicity could be the motivation behind publishing a possible launch date, I somewhat doubt that music.ch would knowingly post a fake. They're usually quite reliable and also post lots of insider info on the Swiss music industry, the rights owners association etc. While I'm a skeptic by nature, music.ch would be the one source I'd trust most when it comes to insider info in that field. They are an association consisting of musicians, sound technicians but also of people working for the record industry etc. If this turns out to be a fake, their reputation would suffer considerably - especially since they called that one an "exclusive" etc.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Freg3000 said:
Great to see four more European countries get into the mix. As an American, I still feel disproportionally more sorry for our Aussie friends. I don't know why, I just hope Apple gets the Australian iTMS out soon.

In the meantime, congrats to Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway! :)
I second that one - hopefully Oz gets iTMS soon as well, they deserve it!

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
pkis said:
actually, the rumor's not very old :)
You're right but it's not breaking news, either :) Also of interest, music.ch did not mention an actual launch date. They just said "next week".

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Yes, it is all coming together...Apple's digital music monopoly is coming closer and closer to being the microsoft of music.....without the evil and crappiness. :D

jbrjake

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Makes a lot of sense. Isn't Thursday the 2nd birthday of the music store?

Apple sure seems to have a big week coming up.

pkis

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2004
Basel, Switzerland
jbrjake said:
Makes a lot of sense. Isn't Thursday the 2nd birthday of the music store?

Apple sure seems to have a big week coming up.
Well, the music business is becoming more and more important to Apple (just check out the figures for the last quarter). It would be more than disappointing if Apple didn't have anything big in stock for next week. Whether it's going to be the launch of additional iTMSs I can't say - but I sure hope they'll present SOMETHING :)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
pkis said:
Well, the music business is becoming more and more important to Apple (just check out the figures for the last quarter). It would be more than disappointing if Apple didn't have anything big in stock for next week. Whether it's going to be the launch of additional iTMSs I can't say - but I sure hope they'll present SOMETHING :)
If Apple didn't have all these hardware woes, they wouldn't have to rely on the music biz!!! Get goin' Apple, you are computer business first, music business second :D

Tcnorman

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2004
Minneapolis
B-52 Macer said:
Hahaha, that was funny, if it was a joke, else I don't know what to think...

Anyway, two words: At Last!
As a Swede, I'd be deeply grateful!
Yes it was a joke. Of course I would like everyone to enjoy the wonders of iTunes and Apple, even you.

lmasanti

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Zaty said:
... Please Apple let it be true...
The "delays" in bringing iTunes to the whole world (forget me, I'm in Argentina) is "Apple's fault"?

Of course, it has a "strong position", specially in the "one price" issue, but technical issues (servers, translations) are, IMHO, not the problem.

Maybe, the music industry of each country is the "real fact behind the delays". In the UK the delay to include indies is, maybe, a proof of concept.

I'm not telling that Apple is the "good guy", but that they're doing their best effors (if they get more countries, they sell more, and that moves them ahead... simple capitalism)