iTunes unresponsive when iPod plugged in.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Samelson03, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Samelson03 macrumors 6502

Whenever I would plug in my iPod Video, iTunes would become unresponsive and I would get the beachball. I'm running iTunes 10.1.2. I have a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook. For some reason I feel like I've had this problem before but I don't remember how I fixed it.

2. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Is it unresponsive indefinitely?

Plug it in and then don't touch iTunes for a minute or so, don't click anything. After a minute, then start clicking away. Does it work then?

3. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, once I plug in my iPod, it's completely unresponsive for the first 2-3 minutes. I think I noticed that once my iPod sync is complete, it then becomes responsive again.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd take both iPod and Mac to the nearest Apple Store, at least if they are still under warranty. This is not supposed to happen, so one of them seems to have a problem.

5. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

You're not using the last.fm scrobbler by any chance?

6. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would take my iPod and Mac to the Apple store, but my warranty is out. It's been out for a long time too. And yes, I am using the Last.fm Scrobbler.

7. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, come on, there has to be someone who has experienced this.

8. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

This is the likely source of your problem. The last.fm scrobbler doesn't deal particularly well larger libraries and larger capacity iPods. When you plug in your iPod the scrobbler will attempt to scrobble your plays from the iPod. While it does this, it completely freezes iTunes. If you open up Activity Monitor, you will see iTunes using 100% of your CPU resources on one of your cores. I have a 3 GHz MacPro and it freezes my iTunes for 2-5 minutes. iTunes is not multi-threaded, so it will only use one core/thread.

There is a temporary solution involving the deletion of one of the last.fm scrobbler logs. I'll see if I can find it. You could turn off iPod scrobbling, which will solve the problem. You may also want to try a different scrobbler. Unfortunately, it's probably an annoyance you'll have to live with if you want to scrobble.