Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
dragged some songs from itunes to the desktop and now the album art appears for the song

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    50 KB · Views: 1,756

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Yeah I noticed this the other day, I can't decide whether or not I like it. I suppose it's useful if you manage your files manually, but I always liked how the icons let you know which program would open the file. Technically shouldn't be an issue anyway because iTunes will be opening all my music, but I guess old habits die hard.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I have QT open up all my files as I don't want iTunes copying them. And I never venture into the music library so it is sort of a waste but it is nice.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Hmmm, doesn't work for me just appears with the MPEG 4 symbol. In iTunes my format is AAC.

snverhallen

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
I think this was a leopard update not a iTunes one... If you like that then use "Quick Look" here is what you get. The song plays without opening iTunes right away like this...

f_Picture1m_2b665b7.png

Retired
May 16, 2006
Its the same with videos too, I think its beautiful, but irritating when there is a mix-match between audio and video, or files with and without previews. This really started with the preview of Delicious Library 2 in my mind, where they showed the books/films/cds showing as previews in Finder.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
This is weird. When I drag a song from iTunes no album art just the MEPG 4 symbol; but when I browse to iTunes Library in Music then I get the album art. Strange. But... I just realized when I duplicate the song from the iTunes Library in Music then I don't get the album art again. Strange again. Seems only originals get the album art.

snverhallen

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
OK, just installed iTunes 7.5 now dragging out of iTunes and iTunes Music Folder under Music results in album art.

snverhallen

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Think it only works when artwork is embedded into the file. Not all the Mp3's have the artwork embedded into them.

This may or may not be, but I do think it's an iTunes 7.5 feature. I'm thinking they must have included a QuickLook plugin with iTunes 7.5 so that QuickLook can view album art embedded in a file. It definitely didn't work for me before 7.5. After updating, even a couple files that were already on my Desktop are showing artwork icons.

firesong

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I've noticed the album art showing as the file icon since the first day installing and using Leopard. Was commenting to my sis it was a nice touch.

The feature came with Leopard, not merely with iTunes 7.5.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
This happens if "show icon previews" is turned on in Finder's folder options.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Now the Album Art seems to be a hit and miss. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Anyone else having similar results?

snverhallen

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
I've noticed the album art showing as the file icon since the first day installing and using Leopard. Was commenting to my sis it was a nice touch.

The feature came with Leopard, not merely with iTunes 7.5.

That's odd because I only got the feature with iTunes 7.5? It seem's like everyones Leopard has a mind of it's own, in terms of all the different results people are getting!

snverhallen

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
I really can find no pattern, in this mystery lol. The thing that confuses me most is that all the album art work shows as a preview when I got to my Music folder. AHHHHH, this is rather frustrating and confusing.

snverhallen

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
I am now sure this is a bug. For example when I travel to my music folder and locate a song. It has the album art as a preview. Then when I duplicate it to my desktop it doesn't have the album art as a preview. In addition, if I manually delete the album art work from iTunes then put it back on MANUALLY it will show album art preview when I drag it from the iTunes window to the Desktop.

snverhallen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.