iTunes Updated To 10.0.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michaelgtrusa, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The update comes at the wee hours o the morning.

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's available through Software Update as well

Attached Files:

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

So I click on your embedded image to see what's been updated, and I discover ... that I can't read Finnish. Need to add that to my todo list :)

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Genius Sidebar is replaced with Ping Sidebar.

As such the sidebar is now totally useless. Where before the sidebar showed music related to the music I had, the Ping sidebar shows music others have. When one of the people you'e following is shopping for wedding music the suggestions are pretty crap...

5. jon08 macrumors 65816

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

How do I get rid of the ghastly 'ping' button on every highlighted/playing song? :mad:

7. blomma macrumors member

blomma

At first i couldn't understand what you meant, but now i realize you mean the sidebar to the right side of the window. To be honest, i've never used that sidebar for anything, so what did it do now that it is gone?

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yep and now there's a Ping button next to *every single song* when you highlight them.

The little arrow links to the store song/album/artist iTunes Store pages are gone.

"Reveal in Finder" shortcut has changed from Command-R to Command-Shift-R. (Why does Apple feel the need to arbitrarily change standard keyboard shortcuts that have been around forever?)

No more Genius Sidebar?! Not even as an option?! WTF, Apple?

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not gone, it's just changed. Previously, when it was the Genius Sidebar it looked at the music you were playing and suggested other music that the algorithm iTunes uses for Genius (which went from terrible to awesome over the last couple of years) thought sounded good with the currently playing song.

Now, as the Ping Sidebar it suggests music the people you follow have purchased and shows artist updates.

I've turned the Ping Sidebar off because it's useless now. I actually bought quite a bit of music through the Genius Sidebar and discovered some great lesser-known artists. Now it's the Ping Sidebar it's just the few people I follow and what they are buying (wedding music...) and updates from a bunch of artists. There's no discovery anymore, just a useless "Social" Network that does neither Social nor Networking.

10. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Try this terminal command:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown 1

11. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

Thanks!!!

12. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

you're welcome- this is still kind of annoying, because I used to Alt-Click on the arrows to jump to albums in my music library. So I guess I won't be disabling this new button.
    And while it still seems to be possible to perform the same action now, it's more complex and requires two clicks instead of one. That's just great. :(

EDIT: Looks like the arrows can be brought back using
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-link-arrows -bool TRUE
    :)

13. briandadude macrumors newbie

I just about never post but had to so I could thank you for saving my sanity. Thank you!

14. lars666 macrumors 6502a

+1

Please Apple, give us back the Genius sidebar (resp. the choice if this should be Ping or Genius). Can't talk for others, but I really found some great songs with the Genius sidebar and directly bought them on iTunes. I won't be able to discover these songs with Ping and therefore will buy less songs on the iTunes Store. Apple probably thinks it will make me buy MORE and mabye this even in the case with most users - but in my case: not.

15. blomma macrumors member

blomma

Ahh, fair enough, that sounds less useful than the previous functionality. Maybe some kind of mix between those two would make it more useful, i.e. both suggest music from people you follow and genius. What strikes me as odd is that for people like me who haven't even turned on Ping (or to be fair, i had it turned on for a whole 10 minutes) they have removed previous functionality. I remember back when genius was introduced and how useless i thought it was at the time, sidebar included. But lately i've been using the genius mixes a lot and they are surprisingly good. So good in fact that i would have found the genius sidebar something useful finally.

Oh well, note to future self, check back on Ping integration in about 2-3 years before they replace it with something different.

16. LeviSnuts macrumors newbie

17. rc135tx macrumors member

rc135tx

After I disabled (rather than hid) Ping, the previous Genius & arrow functionality returned. YMMV, but I don't see why it should. :apple:

18. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Another thanks! Hated the store arrows, hate this too :rolleyes:

19. LeviSnuts macrumors newbie

itunes 10.0.1 kills the quicktime-like controls over the album art as a mini controller.

lame.

20. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

ping still doesn't work for me.

i've written apple support about the "unknown error (5002)". i was hoping this update would fix it but it didn't.

21. 50548 Guest

After hesitating for a while, I've finally downloaded the new iTunes and must say that people whine too much. From some comments around here, I was expecting a total disaster; but after checking it on a friend's Mac, I could see that there is little to be said against it:

- the same color icons DO look OK and less disturbing than the previous ones;
    - performance is vastly improved in terms of opening times and scrolling;
    - I've had ZERO issues with my songs and playlists, device sync and CD importing;
    - the album list view is great, especially for well-organized libraries like mine;
    - the bigger volume button is way better;
    - control via artwork is great.

The only caveat? I haven't yet tested Ping, and don't think I care (so I'd rather deactivate those Ping-linking buttons after each song) - I've already put the window buttons back in their traditional position (easy fix via Terminal) and never used custom ringtones anyway...so yep, the new iTunes is GREAT.

MS IS _________ :rolleyes:

Edit: Just saw the terminal tip above for deactivating the Ping link...thanks, now iTunes is close to perfect! :D

Works fine for me.

22. manu chao macrumors 603

How can one disable Ping? I'd like to have the Genius sidebar back as well.
    (I had never even enabled Ping but the Genius sidebar is gone.)

23. 50548 Guest

You can't unless you disable the iTunes Store...as for the Genius sidebar, I think it's gone for good.

24. manu chao macrumors 603

Well, I got the Genius sidebar back by going back to 10.0 (I had kept a copy of it under a modified name before updating to 10.0.1).

25. crazykid888 macrumors newbie

or in itunes view> hide ping toolbar
    or shift-command-G