Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
The update comes at the wee hours o the morning.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-25 at 5.24.24 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-25 at 5.24.24 AM.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 110

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's available through Software Update as well

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2010-09-25 kohteessa 13.29.07.png
    Näyttökuva 2010-09-25 kohteessa 13.29.07.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 134

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
It's available through Software Update as well

So I click on your embedded image to see what's been updated, and I discover ... that I can't read Finnish. Need to add that to my todo list :)

iTunes 10.0.1 makes it easier to share your favorite music with your friends on Ping. You can now Like or Post about music right from your iTunes library. You can also easily see the recent activity of a selected artist in your library, or of all artists and friends you follow on Ping using the new Ping Sidebar.

This release also provides a number of important bug fixes, including:

• Addresses an issue where the picture quality of a video changes depending on whether the on-screen controls are visible.
• Resolves an issue where iTunes may unexpectedly quit while interacting with album artwork viewed in a separate window.
• Fixes a problem that affects the performance of some third-party visualizers.
• Addresses an issue where the iTunes library and playlists appear empty.
• Resolves an issue that created an incompatibility with some third-party shared libraries.

iTunes 10 comes with many new features and improvements, including:

• Introducing Ping. Use Ping to follow your favorite artists and friends or connect with the world's most passionate music fans. Discover the music everyone is talking about, listening to, and downloading.

• Rent HD TV episodes for just 99¢ each. Watch them on your Mac or PC, on-the-go with iPhone or iPod touch, or in your living room with the all new Apple TV.

• Play your favorites on the all new iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and Apple TV.

• Play music wirelessly with AirPlay on AirPlay-enabled speakers, home theater receivers, and iPod accessories.

• Explore many look-and-feel improvements throughout iTunes.

• Enjoy performance improvements which make iTunes faster and more responsive.

• Additional voice support with VoiceOver Kit for iPod.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Genius Sidebar is replaced with Ping Sidebar.

As such the sidebar is now totally useless. Where before the sidebar showed music related to the music I had, the Ping sidebar shows music others have. When one of the people you'e following is shopping for wedding music the suggestions are pretty crap...

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
How do I get rid of the ghastly 'ping' button on every highlighted/playing song? :mad:

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Genius Sidebar is replaced with Ping Sidebar.

As such the sidebar is now totally useless. Where before the sidebar showed music related to the music I had, the Ping sidebar shows music others have. When one of the people you'e following is shopping for wedding music the suggestions are pretty crap...

At first i couldn't understand what you meant, but now i realize you mean the sidebar to the right side of the window. To be honest, i've never used that sidebar for anything, so what did it do now that it is gone?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yep and now there's a Ping button next to *every single song* when you highlight them.

The little arrow links to the store song/album/artist iTunes Store pages are gone.

"Reveal in Finder" shortcut has changed from Command-R to Command-Shift-R. (Why does Apple feel the need to arbitrarily change standard keyboard shortcuts that have been around forever?)

No more Genius Sidebar?! Not even as an option?! WTF, Apple?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
At first i couldn't understand what you meant, but now i realize you mean the sidebar to the right side of the window. To be honest, i've never used that sidebar for anything, so what did it do now that it is gone?

It's not gone, it's just changed. Previously, when it was the Genius Sidebar it looked at the music you were playing and suggested other music that the algorithm iTunes uses for Genius (which went from terrible to awesome over the last couple of years) thought sounded good with the currently playing song.

Now, as the Ping Sidebar it suggests music the people you follow have purchased and shows artist updates.

I've turned the Ping Sidebar off because it's useless now. I actually bought quite a bit of music through the Genius Sidebar and discovered some great lesser-known artists. Now it's the Ping Sidebar it's just the few people I follow and what they are buying (wedding music...) and updates from a bunch of artists. There's no discovery anymore, just a useless "Social" Network that does neither Social nor Networking.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
you're welcome- this is still kind of annoying, because I used to Alt-Click on the arrows to jump to albums in my music library. So I guess I won't be disabling this new button.
And while it still seems to be possible to perform the same action now, it's more complex and requires two clicks instead of one. That's just great. :(

EDIT: Looks like the arrows can be brought back using
Code:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-link-arrows -bool TRUE

:)

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I've turned the Ping Sidebar off because it's useless now. I actually bought quite a bit of music through the Genius Sidebar and discovered some great lesser-known artists. Now it's the Ping Sidebar it's just the few people I follow and what they are buying (wedding music...) and updates from a bunch of artists. There's no discovery anymore, just a useless "Social" Network that does neither Social nor Networking.

+1

Please Apple, give us back the Genius sidebar (resp. the choice if this should be Ping or Genius). Can't talk for others, but I really found some great songs with the Genius sidebar and directly bought them on iTunes. I won't be able to discover these songs with Ping and therefore will buy less songs on the iTunes Store. Apple probably thinks it will make me buy MORE and mabye this even in the case with most users - but in my case: not.

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
It's not gone, it's just changed. Previously, when it was the Genius Sidebar it looked at the music you were playing and suggested other music that the algorithm iTunes uses for Genius (which went from terrible to awesome over the last couple of years) thought sounded good with the currently playing song.

Now, as the Ping Sidebar it suggests music the people you follow have purchased and shows artist updates.

Ahh, fair enough, that sounds less useful than the previous functionality. Maybe some kind of mix between those two would make it more useful, i.e. both suggest music from people you follow and genius. What strikes me as odd is that for people like me who haven't even turned on Ping (or to be fair, i had it turned on for a whole 10 minutes) they have removed previous functionality. I remember back when genius was introduced and how useless i thought it was at the time, sidebar included. But lately i've been using the genius mixes a lot and they are surprisingly good. So good in fact that i would have found the genius sidebar something useful finally.

Oh well, note to future self, check back on Ping integration in about 2-3 years before they replace it with something different.

rc135tx

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
... What strikes me as odd is that for people like me who haven't even turned on Ping (or to be fair, i had it turned on for a whole 10 minutes) they have removed previous functionality. ....

After I disabled (rather than hid) Ping, the previous Genius & arrow functionality returned. YMMV, but I don't see why it should. :apple:

LeviSnuts

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
itunes 10.0.1 kills the quicktime-like controls over the album art as a mini controller.

lame.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Yeah, my iTunes feels snappier... :rolleyes:

After hesitating for a while, I've finally downloaded the new iTunes and must say that people whine too much. From some comments around here, I was expecting a total disaster; but after checking it on a friend's Mac, I could see that there is little to be said against it:

- the same color icons DO look OK and less disturbing than the previous ones;
- performance is vastly improved in terms of opening times and scrolling;
- I've had ZERO issues with my songs and playlists, device sync and CD importing;
- the album list view is great, especially for well-organized libraries like mine;
- the bigger volume button is way better;
- control via artwork is great.

The only caveat? I haven't yet tested Ping, and don't think I care (so I'd rather deactivate those Ping-linking buttons after each song) - I've already put the window buttons back in their traditional position (easy fix via Terminal) and never used custom ringtones anyway...so yep, the new iTunes is GREAT.

MS IS _________ :rolleyes:

Edit: Just saw the terminal tip above for deactivating the Ping link...thanks, now iTunes is close to perfect! :D

itunes 10.0.1 kills the quicktime-like controls over the album art as a mini controller.

lame.

Works fine for me.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
After I disabled (rather than hid) Ping, the previous Genius & arrow functionality returned. YMMV, but I don't see why it should. :apple:
How can one disable Ping? I'd like to have the Genius sidebar back as well.
(I had never even enabled Ping but the Genius sidebar is gone.)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You can't unless you disable the iTunes Store...as for the Genius sidebar, I think it's gone for good.
Well, I got the Genius sidebar back by going back to 10.0 (I had kept a copy of it under a modified name before updating to 10.0.1).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.