Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
denmark is the highest...

http://www.oecd.org/document/9/0,2340,en_2649_34223_37529673_1_1_1_1,00.html

that's a quite low avarage income btw.

anyhow - the more coverage apple has on iTMS the better. Former east european is quickly developing - so it's good to be there from the beginning.

I'm guessing income wise, but the inter net connections are super in the netherlands ;-).

Point is that that does not say much about why a store is available in a country with movies or not .

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
According to the free rag today the average wage in Bulgaria is 2450 euro per yeah, some of the other countries you list would be similar. I don't think buying shows from iTunes is going to be top of the priority list for people.

There are a lot of rich and middle class Bulgarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Poles, etc, etc. A year and a half ago when in eastern Europe, I saw more Power Books and ibooks than all other laptops combined. Sarajevo and Bratislava have Apple distributors, no PCs, just Macs.

Apple is making a mistake by not going into eastern Europe. It's a rapidly growing market and by not having at the very least an iTunes Music Store available, they're shooting themselves in the foot. Yeah, I know, fighting the music distributors must be a royal pain in the arse but they still should make an attempt.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Yes, the DRM "scandal" in the EU is going to become even more of an interesting story if Video content is added...

-Clive

Why is it a scandal? Apple came up with the technology and business plan to bring this very successful product/service forward. Now others want to come in a reap the rewards without any of the risk and work it took to make it happen. They are not prohibited from bringing their own competitive package forward. They do not want to do the work. They just want to make a player and have the rest handed to them. It reminds me of 'the little red hen'.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
but still what about canada?

the CRTC decides who is allowed to sell television content in canada.
they have several rules:

1) 30% of all content must be canadian
2) all programs must be registered with the CRTC
3) all sources of television content must brodcast from INSIDE Canada

Apple managed to bypass music by claiming that a one time purchase does not count as radio.

Because, however, apple offers subscriptions to the t.v. shows, it is deemed a television service provider.

odds are we wont be seeing tv shows in canada for some time, since all 3 of the conditions would be quite hard for apple to meet. :mad:

(that is unless the conservatives finally scrap the Canadian Radio Television Council)

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
yes but no :)

Why is it a scandal? Apple came up with the technology and business plan to bring this very successful product/service forward. Now others want to come in a reap the rewards without any of the risk and work it took to make it happen. They are not prohibited from bringing their own competitive package forward. They do not want to do the work. They just want to make a player and have the rest handed to them. It reminds me of 'the little red hen'.
You only look at the business side, not at the legal side.
In other words, when purchasing a music track on iTS, you buy the license to be able to play the music track as a digital media, oki cool, but then you decide to go for another music player, and find yourself screwed by crappy DRM whereas you legally own the license and the associated rights to play the music track on a digital player.
so yes it is a scandal, for sure. No, Apple is NOT responsible at all for that crappy situation.
Apple has implemented a DRM system on request, following Music Majors pressures. Microsoft followed Apple (as usual, as Microsoft does not mean innovation), and released a DRM system Play4Sure to offer to other distributors as Apple decided not to license its Fairplay DRM. Then of course, today consumers are in the middle of a place where MS tries to get a piece of online music business by claiming Apple's monopoly on online music business; while the responsible group of all this mess are Music majors.
So, from a strictly legal point of view, DRM should be interoperable to preserve consumer rights, and lawyers and law makers should pressure Music Majors and not distributors as Apple with its iTS to make it possible.

back to the topic:
hardmac reported almsot a week ago that iTunesStore video content will be available in some EU countries in March/April:
Video on European iTunesStore in March/April : http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-01-26/#6357
:rolleyes:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Apple thinks Europe is France, UK, Germany and perhaps Italy.

Apple thinks that "Europe" is UK, and UK alone. How many Apple Stores there are in Europe? IIRC, eight. Every... single... one... of... them... in... the... UK... No stores in Italy. No stores in Germany. No Stores in France. No stores in Spain. No stores in BeNeLux. No Stores in the Nordic countries. None. Few stores in UK and that's it.

As it happens, California alone has more stores than Europe and Japan combined. A lot more.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Apple thinks that "Europe" is UK, and UK alone. How many Apple Stores there are in Europe? IIRC, eight. Every... single... one... of... them... in... the... UK... No stores in Italy. No stores in Germany. No Stores in France. No stores in Spain. No stores in BeNeLux. No Stores in the Nordic countries. None. Few stores in UK and that's it.

As it happens, California alone has more stores than Europe and Japan combined. A lot more.

Yeah. That is really sad :(.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
We can get tv shows on our mobiles, through SKY, Three, Orange & Vodafone.

Trouble is without a US distributer being on board most of the good shows won't be available anyway.

Thing to remember, Apple are a US company and of course are going to look after their home market first.

But what irrates me is the fact that it's illegal to not sell pan-eu, it's a right of any EU citizen to buy from any other state.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I don't really care for iTunes DRM low quality (sound or video) stuff I won't buy.

What I really would like is an Apple store.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
You only look at the business side, not at the legal side.
In other words, when purchasing a music track on iTS, you buy the license to be able to play the music track as a digital media, oki cool, but then you decide to go for another music player, and find yourself screwed by crappy DRM whereas you legally own the license and the associated rights to play the music track on a digital player.
so yes it is a scandal, for sure. No, Apple is NOT responsible at all for that crappy situation.
Apple has implemented a DRM system on request, following Music Majors pressures. Microsoft followed Apple (as usual, as Microsoft does not mean innovation), and released a DRM system Play4Sure to offer to other distributors as Apple decided not to license its Fairplay DRM. Then of course, today consumers are in the middle of a place where MS tries to get a piece of online music business by claiming Apple's monopoly on online music business; while the responsible group of all this mess are Music majors.
So, from a strictly legal point of view, DRM should be interoperable to preserve consumer rights, and lawyers and law makers should pressure Music Majors and not distributors as Apple with its iTS to make it possible.

back to the topic:
hardmac reported almsot a week ago that iTunesStore video content will be available in some EU countries in March/April:
Video on European iTunesStore in March/April : http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-01-26/#6357
:rolleyes:

I actually look more on the moral side. if I looked at the 'business side', I would say 'fair game' and go with the legal side. Too many peopel want things for free - like the companies who want to jump into the business Apple as developed.

oncemore

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2006
This is pretty cool but what will apple do about subtitles and audio languages in country's that aren't english speaking?

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
About iTunes' Fairplay DRM:

@eric67 is right. It's not Apple's fault, but they are certainly not in a consumer friendly position. And I want to add: I don't understand how some Apple fans here prefer to argue in Apple's interest more than in their own consumer interest. How can you call yourself a music collector if the music you collect will be dependent on some corporation's control until the day that you die?

About the iTunes Store in Eastern Europe:

I realize it's a question of national pride for @ninahere, but Eastern Europe is not half of Europe at all.

Most of these countries are tiny. All 10 eastern EU countries taken together represent less than 20% of EU population and less than 10% of the EU economy.

Even the tiny Switzerland (8 Mio ppl, 360 Bio GDP) has an economy that is 20% bigger than Poland's (40 Mio ppl, 300 Bio GDP). Apple pretty much covered all major markets in Europe.

About the lack of Apple Stores in continental Europe:

I totally agree, it sucks. Apple is very US-centric in most of their actions and going to the UK must feel like an achievement for them. I guess we will see some Apple Stores in Europe eventually. The Rome, Italy store has reportedly been in preperations for months and will surely open this year. For more info you can go to http://www.ifoapplestore.com.

BTW Gravis (Germany's biggest Apple retailer) opened their new flagship store in Berlin this Monday. They say it boasts 1500 m2 (16.000 square feet) on two floors. Haven't been there yet, but you can see this everywhere: Apple Retailers copying the Apple Store and thereby spreading the Apple word on a more visible level. That's why Apple went into retail in the first place, right?

About TV and movie content in the European iTunes Stores:

I guess this must be a total mess for Apple to negotiate when they want to bring on American content. Essentially there will be three parties at the table: Not just Apple and Hollywood/US TV producers, but also the European TV channels/movie distributors, who don't own the content, but want to be the first to use them. I guess they will see Apple as their rival bidding for exclusive content.

I wonder what kind of proposal Apple can make the European customers, but I doubt it will be very compelling. Anyway, I'm fine with DVDs, so that's their problem.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
This is complete discrimination!!!

I want European TV shows and Apple insults us by not putting those on our iTunes. Not faaaaaaaiiiiirrrr!!!

Why do Europeans get US TV shows which are mostly lousy and we don't get European TV shows on our shores? :mad:

ninahere

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
I realize it's a question of national pride for @ninahere, but Eastern Europe is not half of Europe at all.

Then why don't they at least allow us to use the American iTS?
They require an American credit card to do so. WHY???
I don't really need a localized version of the store, I just want to
use my non-American Visa and buy some music.
It is possible with Amazon, why not with iTS????

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Then why don't they at least allow us to use the American iTS?
They require an American credit card to do so. WHY???
I don't really need a localized version of the store, I just want to
use my non-American Visa and buy some music.
It is possible with Amazon, why not with iTS????

You should ask the media companies. It's not Apple's fault.

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
This is complete discrimination!!!

I want European TV shows and Apple insults us by not putting those on our iTunes. Not faaaaaaaiiiiirrrr!!!

Why do Europeans get US TV shows which are mostly lousy and we don't get European TV shows on our shores? :mad:

Sadly, most of European TV programmings are either US shows or copies of US shows. Original European formats are far and few between. Edit: I have to qualify that. a) I was thinking of entertainment content. Informational and cultural programming is very good and original. b) UK programs are original and oft-copied, too. But that's it. US content is dominant on TV and in cinemas.

If the Long Tail ever becomes reality we might see obscure European programming available for US customers one day, but it could be just as well that content owner will always prefer to "protect their brands" and prefer to do no business at all outside their core markets rather than little business.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
About iTunes' Fairplay DRM:
How can you call yourself a music collector if the music you collect will be dependent on some corporation's control until the day that you die?

That brings up an interesting question, what happens with the music you bought from the iTS when you die? Can someone inherit it?

Fallinangel

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
Hi guys,

The EU currently has 27 Members!
Switzerland is not one of them, and the UK often behaves as if it's not a member either.

However, what most outsiders don't know is that Europe is not like the US!
Most of the countries have an individual language! Movies have to be translated or subtitled into a multitude of languages, which is one of the causes why it often takes over a year until a US series (Lost, Desperate Housewives, ...) shows up on TV.
Just think about multilingual DVDs: US DVDs are often only in US English (for the USA and Canada) and French (for Canada). In Europe, there exist a multitude of versions of the same DVD, or the DVD contains at least 5 dubs (often German, French, English, Spanish, Italien) and still other languages in subtitles.
However the British and French are priviledged because the United Kingdom gets the US versions with a delay (as far as I know) and France the French Canadian ones!

Furthermore, the new members don't even have the Euro (currency) yet, and are often preoccupied with socio-political problems! Major parts of the population are often poor people that can't afford an internet connection, so why would they need an ITMS? Also Apple wouldn't make any profit!
You could also ask yourselves why there is no ITMS in Iran or Israel!?

Also, most European countries have their own TV Shows!

I don't believe that any European ITMS will offer the US releases of movies and TV series, because that would ruin any TV Channel that gives a damn about translating the series or movies.
Even the US producers would lose a lot of money not being able to sell the rights to European broadcasters anymore!

Also, lots of older and less educated Europeans don't speak English, except of course the British!

You see expanding their music and video business worldwide, might be a real challenge for Apple!
In my opinion, the :apple:TV is futile in Europe at the moment!
I don't need to watch photos on my TV, if I have a digi-cam with a video output, and to listen to music over my TV which certainly is crap anyways!
Converting video content to mp4, might be considered to be an option, but that's too much asked for in my opinion, because you can get much cheaper options that play nearly every common video format!

Apple still is a US enterprise and will always be one!
Just think of the apple online stores which aren't available in every European country either!
I am from Luxembourg! We have an ITMS with limited content and an Apple Online Store which doesn't even meet up with the basic needs of the customers! In fact, it's the French store just with the Luxembourgish VAT!
You see Apple comes to Luxembourg for financial profit, but not to ameliorate things!

"Apple, I love your stuff, but you sometimes suck, too!"

Fallinangel

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
Open Letter

Hi guys,

The EU currently has 27 Members!
Switzerland is not one of them, and the UK often behaves as if it's not a member either.

However, what most outsiders don't know is that Europe is not like the US!
Most of the countries have an individual language! Movies have to be translated or subtitled into a multitude of languages, which is one of the causes why it often takes over a year until a US series (Lost, Desperate Housewives, ...) shows up on TV.
Just think about multilingual DVDs: US DVDs are often only in US English (for the USA and Canada) and French (for Canada). In Europe, there exist a multitude of versions of the same DVD, or the DVD contains at least 5 dubs (often German, French, English, Spanish, Italien) and still other languages in subtitles.
However the British and French are priviledged because the United Kingdom gets the US versions with a delay (as far as I know) and France the French Canadian ones!

Furthermore, the new members don't even have the Euro (currency) yet, and are often preoccupied with socio-political problems! Major parts of the population are often poor people that can't afford an internet connection, so why would they need an ITMS? Also Apple wouldn't make any profit!
You could also ask yourselves why there is no ITMS in Iran or Israel!?

Also, most European countries have their own TV Shows!

I don't believe that any European ITMS will offer the US releases of movies and TV series, because that would ruin any TV Channel that gives a damn about translating the series or movies.
Even the US producers would lose a lot of money not being able to sell the rights to European broadcasters anymore!

Also, lots of older and less educated Europeans don't speak English, except of course the British!

You see expanding their music and video business worldwide, might be a real challenge for Apple!
In my opinion, the :apple:TV is futile in Europe at the moment!
I don't need to watch photos on my TV, if I have a digi-cam with a video output, and to listen to music over my TV which certainly is crap anyways!
Converting video content to mp4, might be considered to be an option, but that's too much asked for in my opinion, because you can get much cheaper options that play nearly every common video format!

Apple still is a US enterprise and will always be one!
Just think of the apple online stores which aren't available in every European country either!
I am from Luxembourg! We have an ITMS with limited content and an Apple Online Store which doesn't even meet up with the basic needs of the customers! In fact, it's the French store just with the Luxembourgish VAT!
You see Apple comes to Luxembourg for financial profit, but not to ameliorate things!

"Apple, I love your stuff, but you sometimes suck, too!"

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
There is plenty of original programming in the UK that would be perfect for iTMS.

Though there would be major hurdles for BBC programming being sold for download, as we've kind of already paid for it via the tv license. Then there is the competition issue, the BBC won't be allowed to do it too cheaply as it would screw everyone else (ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Sky).

Personally, I'd like to see Apple do a deal with the BBC and offer a subscription type service similar to Napster - £10 a month and you can download anything you want and keep viewing as long as you keep paying every month. I'd pay, especially if they open up the archives for content as well.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
well excuse me but who cares?
countries like the ones mentioned above still use dial up to access the internet, how many ppl could possibly download movies? so there's absolutely no point for apple to expand there yet.

You're absolutely right, it's not like, oh... Estonia is completely coveret wrt WIFI (free), og their telecoms is 3g, nosirree they're really backward.

/sarcasm

Some of those countries have come really far, really fast, and as a Scandinavian I sometimes wish we were just as nimble.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005

At which point you burn your purchased music as unprotected content on a CD, and then re-rip that music as a 100% unprotected music back to iTunes.

Yes, DRM sucks. It really, really does. But at least Apple has provided us with a means of bypassing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.