Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by arn
So... iPods ads with people Singing. Now with people Dancing.

Anything left?

arn

How about something grandioso!.......

The commerical starts off with two balls of energy(one being Mac the othe being Windows) heading towards each other and then they collide in this spectacular explosion(ala DeathStar) and then create a sort of Genisis(ala Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan).

I'll leave the ending tag line for you guys to come up with???

~e

BOOMBA

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by slowtreme
It's about time for a "major consumer advertising campaign"

I hear that!

Originally posted by slowtreme
A price reduction would be nice too ;)

On songs? iPods? computers?
Or all of the above?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Napster

Originally posted by DGFan
Frankly I can't believe Napster is going to be any more competition than BuyMusic but it's worth noting.

I agree. Napster is essentially doing a BuyMusic, but with name recognition.

I believe our only credible and strong competition today is MusicMatch's service.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/10/cx_ah_1010napster.html

It is mentioned that they think the break-even point will be over 1 million songs per week. Do people seriously think they will sell that many? Apple isn't even doing that level of business and they are the industry leader right now!

Apple has a severely limitted market right now. Can they do 1M/week with Windows and Mac markets, and being the only source for tunes that are directly playable on the player over 50% of us have?

I really do beleive they can.

Furthermore, it would be nice if Apple would announce how many songs they currently have. While they launched with 200,000 they have been adding songs to iTMS every tuesday. Yet articles still say that they only have 200,000 songs!

I agree. An update on that number would be good. Until Apple updates that number, though, one must assume that the actual number is smaller than these up-and-comer numbers (300k, 500k). Of course, it is quite possible we'll get a new and astounding number next Thursday ... But I'd personally prefer a policy of updating that number regularly.

zamyatin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2003
NYC
One Million Songs per Week

Didn't Apple sell one million songs in the first week? Or was it the first ten days? So the initial excitement pushed it above this arbitrary level, and then it probably tapered off a bit.

Right now I'm sure it's growing steadily, but once the Wintel chuckleheads are added, the market will be quite a bit larger (4x, 5x ? We know the Windows marketshare numbers are fabricated, and definitely don't accurately represent home users.) I'd guess Apple will easily pass the million songs per week benchmark.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Re: Napster

Frankly I can't believe Napster is going to be any more competition than BuyMusic but it's worth noting.

I agree. Last night Tech Live (on Tech TV) compared MusicMatch to Napster 2.0 and the review wasn't favorable to Napster. Then Leo Laporte had a call about iTunes for Windows on Call For Help this afternoon and he spent a few minutes commenting on how much he likes iTunes and the Apple music store. The caller was stating that he hopes it is released before Christmas, as Apple has said, and Leo replied that the rumors point to next week. A lot of Windows people watch that show, so I hope the word-of-mouth buzz starts spreading.

By the way, anyone know how many songs AppleRip-Off.com -- er, I mean BuyMusic.com -- has sold? I hope that iTunes for Windows is the nail in that coffin.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by arn

Anything left?

arn

How about ads of people actually using the iTMS on Windows?

Ya'know. Kinda like showing MacOSX in action to advertise it's ease of use?

Naaaahhh, that wouldn't work.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Does Apple ever use radio ads? I don't think I've ever heard any.

Before the iMac launch in 1998 they did.

Originally posted by arn

Anything left?

arn

They could have ads like the ones they have now with the silhouettes, only about 20 of them on the screen at once, sped up, with the colors changing and flashing faster, with rave music.

It is mentioned that they think the break-even point will be over 1 million songs per week. Do people seriously think they will sell that many? Apple isn't even doing that level of business and they are the industry leader right now!

It's only available on Mac. Once it's on Windows...look out!

Originally posted by eclipse525

The commerical starts off with two balls of energy(one being Mac the othe being Windows) heading towards each other and then they collide in this spectacular explosion(ala DeathStar) and then create a sort of Genisis(ala Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan).

~e

"KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!"

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Apple needs to get the word out anyway they can that their product is out, working and offers choices better then the others.

There are so many names, keep increasing, a few will die but a couple are gonna fight to the bitter (and unprofitable) end.

who will last...

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
They should have the voice over say something along these lines...They need to be blunt.

"Introducing iTunes for Windows featuring the iTunes Music Store. Once you using iTunes for Windows, you will see how much better Apple software is, and finally decide to buy a Mac."

jimbothegringo

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2003
Frankfurt/Germany
It is to sad that mac-users in europe still have to wait for a working itunes-store, while win-users in the states get their store instantly together with the release of itunes for windows. Probably i should change my os and my machine then...:(

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Re: One Million Songs per Week

Originally posted by zamyatin
Didn't Apple sell one million songs in the first week? Or was it the first ten days? So the initial excitement pushed it above this arbitrary level, and then it probably tapered off a bit.

Right now I'm sure it's growing steadily, but once the Wintel chuckleheads are added, the market will be quite a bit larger (4x, 5x ? We know the Windows marketshare numbers are fabricated, and definitely don't accurately represent home users.) I'd guess Apple will easily pass the million songs per week benchmark.

Since we have 2% of the market right now, that number would be 50x.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I just went to Apple's website and they now have 3 different lengths of the iPod commerical, maybe more to come!

I just checked them out and I honestly thought they were gonna suck BUT in retrospect, they are awesome! "Different" than anything out there on TV. The colors alone will make them unforgettable. Oh yeah, the music kicks ass as well. Very well done. My hats off to their Ad Agency!

~e

new user

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
what i don't understand

i just got my new and first pb (12 inch) and the music store was one of the feature that i most eager to use. that said, i've stayed pretty current with by cd buying and there were only a few things that i was looking for. but, the music store didn't have those artist/albums yet!

what i don't understand is that why don't labels put as much of their songs and albums on as possible. i can understand if it's apple having problems stocking their digital shelf, but i don't have a clue why the record companies would hold back. where is radiohead, for example. or sleater kinney. the only thing that will happen (once they decide to commit) is that they sell songs/album and make more cash money.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
apple is starting to get better with their ads and i am happy they have a holiday lineup of ads for the itunes stuff

i just saw the ipod commercial and i was blown away...simple and direct...other ads in the past may have been simple but they were sometimes confusing

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Re: what i don't understand

Originally posted by new user
...or sleater kinney.
There are three Sleater-Kinney songs on it (their "Get Up" EP). Not enough though. Kill Rock Stars (just down the road in Olympia) just hasn't added their whole collection yet.

This is totally unrelated, but I heard right after I left the Art Institute of Portland that Janet Weiss, the drummer for Sleater-Kinney also attends there.

I was happy to see that three Cat Power (Matador Records) albums were on the iTMS. You Are Free kicks ass.

new user

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
i know

i know some bands and or record company decides not to, what i want to know is why? isn't the whole point of them making music is to sell music?

and i am strongly inclined to check out the cat power show playing in ny next week. but with that, apple isn't going to get my cat power dollars, i got her albums already. i guess it's only a matter of time before they do get my hard borrowed cash, i buy a lot of music. and feel awfully guilty stealing it.

but why would artists/companies not sell their music? the only thing i can think of is negotiating for better terms, but considering the amount of stuff that is already on the net, isn't it pretty much standardize by now? or is there a hope of a bidding frenzy among all the competing music services out now?

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
From what I understand, KRS is planning on upping their whole collection to the music store, but aren't finished yet. Instead of contributing all the albums of just a few bands online initially, they put a few albums of a wide variety of bands online. They're not finished yet. Expect to find more albums soon.

If you want to see them hurry up and get more tunes online, email them at:
krs@killrockstars.com

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: i know

Originally posted by new user
i know some bands and or record company decides not to, what i want to know is why? isn't the whole point of them making music is to sell music?

but why would artists/companies not sell their music? the only thing i can think of is negotiating for better terms, but considering the amount of stuff that is already on the net, isn't it pretty much standardize by now? or is there a hope of a bidding frenzy among all the competing music services out now?

I think one group opted out because they only want to sell their music in album form.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by eclipse525

~e

"...and he said 'Let there be Tunes...' (Apple Logo)"

zamyatin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2003
NYC
Re: Re: One Million Songs per Week

Originally posted by bretm
Since we have 2% of the market right now, that number would be 50x.

I think the unit sales shipments show that Apple computers are just under 4% of new computers sold in the US. How that translates to market share of people *actively using* the OS is very hard to determine. In the case of Windows, point-of-sale terminals, big company office computers used only for one function during the day, and other very specialized machines skew the statistics.

Their shorter lifespans also mean they have to sell more machines each year to make up for those dying prematurely (by the standards of Mac and Linux users, Windows machines die quite early).

Finally, the iTMS and other downloadable music services are not something one would use at the office. Therefore, the relevent market is home users. Macs are much better represented here than in the market at large - I have seen estimates that 20% of computers used in homes are Macs.

How can we get better data? Who knows? But it is commonly known that the data seen in the press is skewed toward MS just because of the assumptions it makes and the way it is collected.

So, after all this, I think iTMS for Windows will increase the market by a huge amount, but nothing so large as an order of magnitude or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.