MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple announced today that Windows users have downloaded more than 1 million copies of iTunes Windows in the first three and a half days since its launch.

Furthermore, over one million songs have been purchased at the iTunes Music store over the same time. In comparison, the iTunes Music Store sold one million songs over 7 days during its initial launch on the Mac in April.

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
This is great news.

Being new to the windows world :) is 1M downloads a good rate?

Now Steve just get the European store running and I can contribute to the purchased figures.

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Huh?

[Sarcasm]
That can't be right. I have been reading everywhere that iTunes for Windows sucks, is slow, doesn't do this and that...
[/Sarcasm] :D

Comment

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I think a more interesting point is that many of those downloads where by mac users because I don't feel like most Windows users have any idea that iTunes is available for them yet, so this is just scratching the surface really and those downloads are mainly mac owners that own pc's as well.

Comment

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Does anyone know if any of the other pay sites has sold a million songs total--not in 3. 5 days or 7, but from opening until now?

Is anyone else putting out their stats?

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Digipimp
I think a more interesting point is that many of those downloads where by mac users because I don't feel like most Windows users have any idea that iTunes is available for them yet, so this is just scratching the surface really and those downloads are mainly mac owners that own pc's as well.

No...

Quote:
CUPERTINO, California—October 20, 2003—Apple® today announced that Windows users have downloaded more than one million copies of its new iTunes™ for Windows digital jukebox software in just three and a half days since its launch last Thursday, and over one million songs have been purchased and downloaded by iTunes users in the same period.

The press release specifies Windows users.

[edit] 1 million *software* downloads for Windows, 1 million *unspecified* song downloads [/edit]

Comment

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK

This may be true since I downloaded a copy to try on my (mainly Linux) PC. However its still more songs in this time period than on the original Mac version launch.

Comment

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK

Good point, I am one of the 1M with Mac and PC. However I now showoff - nicely instead of just talking about ITunes at work, and the unconverted are impressed.

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
No...

Quote:
CUPERTINO, California—October 20, 2003—Apple® today announced that Windows users have downloaded more than one million copies of its new iTunes™ for Windows digital jukebox software in just three and a half days since its launch last Thursday, and over one million songs have been purchased and downloaded by iTunes users in the same period.

The press release specifies Windows users.

No...

the press release specifies Windows iTunes software downloads, and then generic store downloads (thus Mac/PC).

Comment

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
They said 1 million iTunes songs, I wonder how many of those were by Windows users. They specified copies of iTunes for Windows, but they didnt specify the platform for the songs.

I'm sure by putting the two statistics together they were trying to mislead people into thinking that the songs were downloaded by windows users too.

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by gotohamish
No...

the press release specifies Windows iTunes software downloads, and then generic store downloads (thus Mac/PC).

Your right, my bad. Here is how it reads to me:

Windows iTunes software = 1 million D/L's

Songs = 1 million D/L's but does not specify platform.

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
I'm sure by putting the two statistics together they were trying to mislead people into thinking that the songs were downloaded by windows users too. [/B]

Indeed, confused me at first! :(

Comment

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
That sounds good.

Just being devils advocate Do you think the people who downloaded the software were mainly Mac owners with PCs who also bought music to show willing support of Apple? ie its mainly a mac phenomenon still

Also, I wonder how many win2k were among the million, and how many of them saw their system freeze and put iTunes in the bin.

Just wondering because after reading the pages on apple forum support, it was not a great time for all. There was some very robust mac v pc debate which i´ve hardly ever seen there. I dont think some of the PC power users could follow install instructions and did not like how iTunes rearranged their files!

Comment

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
Originally posted by gotohamish
No...

Since iTunes Mac users account for 600,000 d/l's a week average, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of the "1,000,000 in 3.5 days" were from iTunes Windows users. I personally know a guy who bought roughly $100.00 worth of d/l's through iTMS for Windows.

Comment

alia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2003
Orlando, FL
I guess you could call me a Windows user, since I don't own a Mac yet and won't for a couple of weeks.

That said, I downloaded it and have since purchased about 50 songs at the music store - 3 albums + single downloads. As someone who has used Kazaa in the past, I find this WAY preferable. I'd rather pay money for a full album at once with good files and a speedy experience. That said, would I still purchase an album at half.com for $1.50 instead of using the music store? Hell yeah, if I didn't need it immediately.

Also, I'm an ipod owner, and I can guarantee you that other Windows ipod owners will flock to this software. Musicmatch is an unmitigated nightmare! I gave up using it the first day and swithed to ephpod. It's encoding was crap too. I think Windows ipod users are going to love this software and I think it will definitely get some of those people who have been holding out on ipod purchases because of Musicmatch to make the leap.

Just my two cents!

Alia

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Good start, but I want to see sales figures in a weeks time.

The important thing is, are Windows users still using it after the initial review and curiousity?

Comment

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne

I got a copy for my PC at work, and installed in my friend's PC as well, I'm pretty sure they can't know if was a windowz or mac user who bought that copy of Hey mama friday at night... :cool:

They are talking in general terms and that could face maybe no more than 500K purchased from windowzers ...

but 1M downloads ... nice to read

Comment

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by billyboy
That sounds good.

Just being devils advocate Do you think the people who downloaded the software were mainly Mac owners with PCs who also bought music to show willing support of Apple? ie its mainly a mac phenomenon still

I have iTunes on 2 macs, 2 pc's and for kicks installed it on Win2k running in VPC on one of the macs! A total of 3 Windows iTunes D/L's for me. I bought a few tracks from the Windows version just to show my support. I was going to buy them anyways and thought, what the hell.

Comment

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Doesn't matter who is downloading

It really doesnt matter who is downloading, the fact is we have a paradigm shift in our mix. And who better to do that the company that makes a premium system. And I'm sure the 1 million songs include both windows and macs. But thats still a large number. And I would say alot of those are the new windows users. I for one don't mine paying for music as long as I get a good preview, and it doesnt cost much. And apple does that.

Comment

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
1 million songs

Using Apple's numbers of around 300,00 mac downloads in 3.5 days, that would put windows downloads at 700,00. That is more than 2/3 of sales to windows users. I can only see this going up as the media hasn't showcased this release like it did the original iTunes Music store.

Comment

mathematician

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Wait...

I think we have to wait.

I have no PC (!) but I downloaded iTunes for Windows just to see how it looks (in Virtual PC on a Mac).

However, I know a PC guy who tried iTunes and loves it (he would have bought Music, if he had an US Billing Adr.

Just spread the word...

C.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.