ive been done :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carbon337, Jun 9, 2009.

1. carbon337 macrumors newbie

Hi guys - newb here with first post.

I bought a macbook 2.0Ghz Aluminium on Sunday within a day it is now discontinued- not only that but price reduced and also increased spec.

Ive spoken to apple uk who dont want to know and the reseller i bought it from wont return it as its been opened and used.

I feely really annoyed both with myself for not seeing this coming and also with Apple who I thought would have provided better customer services.

Anyway rant over - im off into a corner to sulk.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The computer you have is perfectly fine. Even if you got one with a "better" processor it's unlikely that you'll be able to notice the speed distance.

Or is it more a case of you wanting the latest and newest things :p

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You still have a working computer don't you?

You have not been done at all, you were sold what you went into buy on Sunday.

Sorry, but Apple don't owe you anything - that's just LIFE and we have all been there and done that one way or another.

Buyer's remorse sucks but you will get over it.

4. carbon337 thread starter macrumors newbie

not a case of wanting the latest but increase in processor and a price reduction is the most annoying point. I'd have expected apple to have maybe been able to offer some sort or compensation for this cost difference or a freebie of some sort.

Im more annoyed with myself as i had already waited a while to get it and obviously should have waited longer.

5. VladM macrumors regular

Why would they offer you any compensation? What would they be compensating you for?

These threads are stupid.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How much of a price discount is it for you? Unless you're a MBAir owner who paid $700 more for a ssd model, I see no point in being upset.

I think if you bought Sunday then you bought as an uninformed buyer who had ample signs pointing to an event that could have resulted in an update to the laptop line.

7. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

You got a sweeter Macbook than the ones they are making now. Keep it for a couple of years or whatever. It should have good resale value, which could help you buy a nice future model.

8. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You bought the computer from a reseller, not Apple. So Apple are not obliged to take the computer back. Does the reseller not have a 14 day return policy?

10. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Keep in mind that's one of a kind....Man I'm so pumped with the new uMB(P)s !!!

11. carbon337 thread starter macrumors newbie

they have a return policy but not on non faulty equipment that has been opened used and items installed!

12. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

How so???

Thats a joke right? the general consensus is that; people who recently bought the uMB are p'd off! and are thinking of ways to get rid... so why later on down the line would the uMB become more valuable than the current 13" MBP, when the added features alone of the MBP outshines it.... of course no one knows the true future of both of these two laptops...but I know what speculation i would go with.

I can picture it now, backlight keys alone will be a worthy selling feature in the future, so the 2.4 uMB may do ok but the 2.0 will probably get hit the hardest.

13. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Apple should discontinue sales for two months.

They should tell every vendor & supplier they have to not sell any laptops for two months before they release a new model.

I'm sure that'd get rid of a lot of the bitching.

14. VladM macrumors regular

Haha...CEO material right there.:p

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, I don't agree that you were an uniformed buyer. Most people have better things to do than monitor Apple conferences.

I do wonder why you bought from somebody without a better return policy though. Most places will take things back and charge a re-stocking fee.

16. theARNSKI macrumors regular

I agree with this.

I mean, come on, you still have a perfectly working computer. One that was fine yesterday and the day before and the day you purchased it.

Is a backlit keyboard or a faster processor or a new screen or an extra port or OMG a new Apple logo on the lid really gonna help you in whatever you plan to use the computer for? Seriously, is it?

All that glitters is not gold, you know.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for anyone who bought a Macbook this past weekend. Anyone who posts on MR has to at least be in tune with Apple's WWDC show and there have been rumors of new product. I saw at least 3 created threads from people this past weekend boasting about their new Macbook and loving it and I just couldn't understand why they couldn't wait until the following Monday to see what offering Apple was showing. Again, no sympathy here, you have a nice machine, it was your choice to wait or buy it and you chose to buy it so live with it.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

To be fair, when was the last time a Mac was updated at WWDC? Much less a "rebranding" or whatever the hell happened.

The OP does still have a good machine, and he really shouldn't be complaining, but you can't really blame him. This whole thing was a surprise considering past WWDC's never did anything like this.

19. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

It is generally a bad idea to buy anything that has not been refreshed in months and a keynote or conference is scheduled.

That said, to be fair, for weeks in the myriad of "should I buy threads" you have had regular posters with very high post counts stating in no uncertain terms that there will be no notebook refreshes until 2010 or something like that and that anybody who happens to think there might be are "uninformed".

This "speaking with authority" presents an allusion of veracity of claims that really should not be present and a certain level of group think sets in.

The older notebook is not any slower than it was when it was purchased though.

20. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

It seems like EVERYONE bought a MacBook on either Sunday, or 15 days prior to the WWDC...just one day after the 14 return date.

It’s getting quite comical actually,aAnd I’m having a hard time believing people who post this.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

OP, did you buy it with a credit card? If so they may have some kind of buyer protection.

22. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

Speed (in this case) is relative, so his computer is in fact slower. His computer is also more expensive.

Let's be real here, it sucks and I feel terribly for the OP.

23. zsnow macrumors regular

i think the same thing. like car manufactures. give a big discount for previous year models before the new one come.
    what apple did is you pay the same money and the next day new model come at the same price.
    I guess that customer just suck on luck especially bought 2 weeks before.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He was uninformed. Not everyone monitors Apple conferences but you can easily see buyer's guides outside the Mac community (Forbes, WSJ, etc.) that give suggestions and such in terms of what is a good buy today and what isn't. He is, and always will remain, an uninformed buyer when it comes to this particular purchase.

Your point on the return policy is spot-on.

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

In terms of Mac? 2006 which was the Mac Pro, however, every WWDC has had a product announcement and it's naive for someone who is a forum member on MR to make a major Apple purchase the day before WWDC and then have the audacity to come here and say they've been "done". No one burned the OP. He purchased it from a place with no return policy, purchased it knowing about WWDC and even if he didn't know about yesterday's show he's a forum member (even though he's new here) so he obviously follows Mac news. Anyone who posts on tech forums is not your average Joe customer who blindly walks into a store and buys a computer that's 8 months old so this was strictly a naive move on the OP's part and anyone defending his actions including creating this thread is just patronizing him. :p