Ive been hearing neagtives about the new MB.......

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdhfootball, Oct 19, 2008.

1. cdhfootball macrumors member

Everyone on MR has been saying they have had problems with their new aluminum MB. But home many of you ARE happy with it and have no problems?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's hard to say, because generally only the people with negative experiences will seek out a Mac Forum to complain at. It gets kinda skewered on this site in that sense. (People are more vocal to complain than praise)

3. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

i have been reading A LOT around this forum and this is the general consensus

Things generally not right (they can be dealt with easily)

1. The battery cover is loose
    2. Some keys are crooked (but nothing substantial)
    3. Of course (it makes me want to punch my damn screen bc people complain so much about it and there are 100 threads about it) no firewire

And after being discussed only the batter cover being loose is the real problem. But it has also been discussed that you can take it back to apple and get a different cover (i believe)... and in all those threads they all say besides the battery cover the laptop is GREAT.

4. kellte2 macrumors regular

5. kellte2 macrumors regular

Its great. If you are in the market, its a great machine. I'm mostly upset that I somehow managed to get a tiny nick on it already.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am VERY happy with mine. I got it because i told my wife she can have mine (only 3 month old macbook) and I saw 1 up close and I thought it was ok and liked mine better. Now after been playing with it for over 2 days, i really like it a lot. I don't have a need for a firewire also, and the latch issue I said before is nothing really.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

mine does have all the problems you listed, but i can easily overlook them, i love this thing. and im sure i can get a battery cover replacement somehow eventually...

8. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

I bought the 2.4 with 4gb of ram and it just is a very good little machine. Lack of firewire is disappointing but I can live without it.

Haven't had any issues with it yet. I like how it looks, and the performance is just great. If your in the market for a new macbook, check it out.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm coming from a 3 year old 12" Powerbook. I'm not quite used to the ergonomics (the MB feels huge by comparison). I also have issues with the trackpad and the mouse button, but the more I use it, the more I'm getting used to it.

Aside from the adjustments, and a couple of minor gripes with Leopard, the computer is fantastic. Snappy boot time, instant wake from sleep, overall major speed increase in applications, BLAZING wifi with my Airport Extreme (see below), solid build quality, crisp bright display, quiet and cool, MUCH louder speakers...it goes on and on.

[​IMG]

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

+1.. the new MacBook is great! :D

and to the OP, this has already been mentioned but I'm saying it again, only people who have problems will come here and post it. Apple sold a ton of these, and there's only a couple of people posting problems on the forum. Mine is basically flawless, my cover is fine, no dead pixels... my F keys look crooked but when I look from the side, they look fine. Probably some illusion lol.

11. Roller macrumors 68020

I'm very happy with mine so far. A big improvement over my old G4 PB.

12. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

My 12" Powerbook has been feeling terribly lonely these past few days... I've had no problems whatsoever with my new Macbook. A truly excellent laptop.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

So you're holding onto the 12"? What will you use it for? I promised my SO I would sell mine, but I'll miss it very much. Even if I kept it, it would just gather dust.

14. isethx macrumors regular

on the old ones people complained about cracking cases, finger prints, horrible screens, the dirty looking white macbooks, and a million other things. i personally find the new macbook way better

bottom line is people are always going to complain about any product in any industry.

i hear and know far worse stories with dell!

15. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I have an entry-level glassbook (2.0Ghz version) and upgraded to a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of ram.

- My battery cover is tight
    - My keys are straight
    - I don't need firewire (otherwise, I'd have happily ordered a new GlassBook Pro or kept my BlackBook)

Battery life is great, construction is solid, thing looks beautiful, and it's a lot easier to keep looking clean/new.

No complaints!!!

16. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I will agree that MR forums and the apple support forums will tend to be a place where pple will vocalize more about flaws and defects than praises.

If you enjoy your new macbook you'll be too busy using it than to troll around forums seeing what pple have to complain about.

Not saying pple complaining dont have a right to complain, but it's like buying a new toy and then constantly scanning it for flaws and completely ignoring what's great about it.

17. illu macrumors member

I enjoy my new MB very much. No complaints at all.

18. kyen1 macrumors member

I have the 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd model. No complaints at all.

I am coming from a 15" MBP. I do photo editing with iPhoto and Aperture and everything has been very snappy and smooth and best of all no heat problems.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the machine is very quiet.

19. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Ditto. I came from a previous gen. whitebook with 4gb ram & 2.2GHz C2D. This new 2.0 GHz brickbook feels faster even with 2gb ram.
    I've removed the battery cover and put it back in without any problems. Nothing's loose.
    I love it.

20. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

My battery cover is loose about a 1/16th of an inch. Nothing I'm to concerned about. None of my keys seem off or crooked. Firewire means nothing to me. I've never, ever had anything that has used it, and don't plan to.

If I wouldn't have had the opportunity to exchange my Blackbook for it, I would still be happy. But, the build of the new model just blows me away. It also gave me a little piece of mind knowing that the FSB and memory speed were raised. I'm going to up the memory to 4gb and get ready for Snow Leopard!

21. djellison macrumors 68020

Proven yourself wrong there.

22. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

Yes I am. The combo drive died on it, so I can’t be bothered to sell it. Still, I will keep it around the home for basic tasks like emailing and internet which is useful if I leave my new Macbook at the office on occasions.

You know, I went into a store today where they had the old white Macbooks side-by-side with the new Macbooks. I just laughed seeing this really dirty Macbook with grey finger marks all over it. I should have taken a photo on my iPhone to show you all. The plastic just seemed so dated. At least with aluminium, after a few years it will still look new. Like my 12" Powerbook, the metal case still looks mostly new -- it doesn’t rust or age.

23. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Until those people who are caustic enough start having the good ol' aluminum palmrest corrosion. There will always be some problem no matter what the MBs are made out of. It's only a matter of time before the complaints roll in on MacRumors :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

24. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Mine doesn't have any of the problems that have been discussed. I am very happy with mine. It seems to be very solid.

25. azdmelani macrumors member

*raises both hands* SUCH an improvement over my Dell Inspiron 1500. Now I just need to remember where the command key is...