I've decided to drink more beer.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hayduke, Feb 6, 2008.

1. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

My New Year's Resolution was to drink more beer. I think this is the first time that I've made it to February and stuck with it. Aside from that year where my resolution was "F*&^ that." That one is a good ten years old and still with me.

My main reason for drinking more beer was that I was a bit confused about the best dinner drink. I generally, can't drink only water with a meal. I'm likely to have a glass or two, but not only water. I drink milk with dinner reasonably often, but it isn't always the best match for whatever we're having for dinner. I sometimes drink juice, but it is hard to get good juice that isn't simply sugar water, and soda will rot your teeth out. I also had environmental considerations in mind and I hate recycling so much plastic from juice and soda containers. Calorie content wasn't really an issue, but I'm pretty sure beer is in the lower category class of drinks.

So, no need to post AA links. Just wanted to let everyone know that I think beer goes very nicely with dinner and that 2008 was shaping up to be a very nice year.

So, what do you drink with dinner? Aside from water, what drink is most environmentally low-impact? Maybe I should switch to organic beer...

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Best resolution ever :D

To answer the question, it's usually soda for me. On occasion, I'll have a beer.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

it depends what you're eating...
    burritos and tacos with some chips and salsa -> coronas and XX.
    fast food -> keystone.
    Burgers and dogs -> bud light or miller light.
    BBQ -> sam adams and saranac samplers.
    wings -> rolling rocks.
    gyros -> anything bc gyros are the best.

really tho, when you have beer around, usually that's the kind that you drink.

4. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

You should consider the beer with dinner plan. More variety and it interfere with my food less; complements it better.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Beer or a decent red wine works for me... (and has done for years)

§ cd /pub more|beer

:p

6. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Beer is an excellent choice! :) This is my favouratre drink!
    But I'm not sure that you should drink it every supper.
    I try to avoid drinking any alcohol on the workdays. I prefer juice or soda with my meal. But on the weekends beer is the best for me! Can't spend my weekend without drinking beer! ;)
    By the way, how much beer you it is allowed to drink before driving? I've heard it is possible to drink some beer or whine in America or Europe before driving... :rolleyes:

7. Queso macrumors G4

Normally fruit juice with dinner. When alcohol is involved it tends to be red wine or beer, and even then I don't drink a lot.

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Over here it is rather common to have a glass of beer beer with your meal. I drink thes beverages with my meals beer, wine, water, coca-cola.
    You should try some decent belgian lager : stella, jupiler, maes.

9. dsl4c macrumors member

mmmmm, black butte porter... <drool> those who know, know... mmm..

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't like to drink beer with meals unless it's a nice meaty meal. If I'm eating a salad or a lot of fruit, beer doesn't go so well with that :p

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't drink beer but red wine is my bestest friend ever! it never let me down yet.

Bless

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Luckily, there are more styles & types of beer than wine (by several orders of magnitude), so pairing with food can be quite the creative treat. Appetizer to dessert, there's a number of beers that work exceedingly well. Wine's simply too limiting (and not all that complementary).

Beer. The Original Food™. The bringer of agriculture and civilization itself, all hail the joy of the malted grain!

13. blairwillis macrumors regular

14. ToddW macrumors 6502a

15. ewxlt macrumors regular

16. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Good for you!

Personally, I don't like beer, more a bourbon and water kind of guy. Bourbon and water doesn't go with everything, but after a couple you really quit caring.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nopers. Most beers have a pretty high caloric content (just one link I found):

Stoppit w/ excuses, drink a little beer if you like. No biggie. :)

18. comacnut macrumors member

That's a great resolution. Very similar to mine. I want to try 52 different (new) beers this year. So far I'm only on 4, but I have two more in mind for this weekend.

19. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well if I am eating at home, beer or milk. It really depends more on the mood I am in rather than the food that is in front of me

When I go out, it is usually always water. Maybe when I turn 21 I will order a beer, but I get pretty tight about spending my money on a $3 bottle of beer when I know for double the amount I can get 6 bottles at a grocery store.

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm lost on the environmental point. How is the beer producing less waste than the soda or juice?

21. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Some beers to consider if you are able to find them:

Rogue: Imperial Red Ale....pricey, but worth it!
    Rogue Shakespeare: the best beer ever.
    St. Bernardus Abt. 12: Belgian and beautiful.
    Fat Tire Ale (organic!)
    Mothership Wit (organic!)
    Any of the Petrus ales
    Weihenstephaner is a good beer, nice and Germanic
    I brake for Guinness, as well as Harp lager

Beer = awesome.

I hated beer in college because all people drank was Keystone and other abominations to brewing. When I moved to IC, I found the awesome world of GOOD beer, albeit at a price. Now, I enjoy one or two a month, but it is well worth it.

Best wishes!

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

be ready to see your weight grow (the infamous beer belly).

as far as health and eco-conscience, nothing beats tap water.

also from a health perspective, a moderate amount of red wine is most definitively good for you at many levels (especially good quality wine). key word is moderate.

23. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

My "resolution" Is something similar, I've decided to let behind all sodas and sparkling stuff except beer :D Why? Because I want to loose a few pounds, not that Im fat but Im starting to gain a bit ehehe but mainly because of my teeth. Not only soda rots your teeth but it also leaves a beautiful yellow tone ajajaj My parents ara actually OK with this (as Im not quite at the legal age here..) and believe its a good initiative. They know I will drink beer only on weekends and never exceed 4-5 beers, also I hate other liqours and Im not gonna drink water at parties (remember I left soda behind :rolleyes:) As for beer in dinner? Hell yes, every now and then my dad will invite to a couple of beers at dinner and I find that it goes awesome with pastas and italian food (mmm Peroni Nastro Azzuro..). During weekdays I will settle with orange juice (the real one) and iced tea. I have already lost a couple of pounds just by letting coke go... and its only been a couple of weeks I have follow this completely, and I haven't change anything besides that so those pounds were from that :p

-Victor

24. bartelby macrumors Core

There is NEVER a reason to drink a light beer. In fact avoid Bud and Miller all together.

And as for someone suggesting TAP WATER!? :eek: You've obviously never has a glass of tap water from anywhere in the UK.