iPhone XR I've decided to keep my 8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

When the XR was announced, I was really, really excited. Just the fact that there are so many colors was appealing to me. Colors attract me for some reason and color is important to me for some reason. When I buy a car, I insist on a color. The guy was like "do you have to have an orange car?" Yes.

Then I read a bunch of threads about XR vs 8+ - and I would be ok with a lesser resolution. That would be fine. But I really love my 8+ and I was torn for a while. Then I saw a review that said the XR has the same glass on the back as the X. Well, my wife bought an X a month ago and already cracked her X's back glass. I have dropped my 8+ a LOT and it has never cracked.

Plus, I really just love the 8+. Good camera, it's heavy and durable. It just feels like a great phone. I'll miss not having a yellow or blue phone, but overall, this 8+ is a great phone for me. Thanks for caring!

2. Mackinjosh Suspended

Why would anyone upgrade after less than a year of owning a phone? It's a phone.

3. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

It's much more than a phone but yes I agree otherwise.

4. jjohnstonjr macrumors regular

jjohnstonjr

This was a debate I and a friend of mine had. I loved my iPhone 8+ and loved the camera. Everything about the phone including the handling was amazing. I was hell bent on not upgrading this year until I had a chance to get my hands on one and play with it. Lately I have been taking up photography and saw some shots taken with the XS/XS Max. LOVED THEM! I had the XS and later returned it for the Max only for a better fitting in the hand. You cant go wrong with the 8+ but if you do upgrade you wont be sorry.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Why would anyone post this in a phone enthusiast forum? In my use case, it's many things before it's a phone. I'd never pay $1150 for a phone yet I have the X.

6. Mackinjosh Suspended

Because upgrading yearly is just dumb. Even people on a phone discussion forum know that. It's stated constantly.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've upgraded every year since the first generation save for the 4S and this year and I can guarantee you I'm far from being the only one.

8. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

I envy the luxury of the option.

Meanwhile, I'm hearting my iPhone SE until it dies or something more like it appears. ^ ^

9. SHKLMRE macrumors 6502

Because people are free to do whatever they want with their money

10. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

1 Because to some people it's more than just a phone, it's a phone, a mobile computer, a camera, etc.
    2 That's an opinion of some, not everyone, why does it matter to you what other people do?

11. mrvirginia macrumors regular

This isn't true. I can't remember what reviewer mentioned it but the glass on the back is actually a bit stronger than that found on the 8 Series and X series from last year, but not as strong as on the XS. Regardless of what any reviewer says, the 8 and X series share the same glass so I'm not sure why you think your 8 Plus is more durable than the X. Just bc you've dropped it a bunch and it hasn't cracked yet isn't indicative that it's stronger. You've just been lucky af.

The one thing that sold me on the newer phones is navigating the UI. I've seen it said many times by users around the forums and I 100% agree - the gesture based UI navigation is way more natural and better feeling than that of the iPhones with TouchID. Spend a day with an iPhone without TouchID and I guarantee you'll enjoy it more. In comparison, the home buttons just feel clunky now.

12. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Are you new here? Some people here "upgrade" to the Product Red phones when they come out even though they have the same exact phone in another color. It's what people do with their money because it's their decision.

13. nutmac macrumors 601

8 Plus and X share the same glass back, so I wouldn't use your wife's anecdotal experience.

As for the screen itself, both my wife and I upgraded our iPhone 7 Plus this year. I upgraded to XS (not XS Max) and my wife XR. I admit to not having the greatest of eyesights but I frankly can't tell XR and 7 Plus apart. I am sure if I look at super tiny text or zoom in on photos, 8 Plus might come ahead, but those are extreme use cases.

Smaller form factor while showing even more information than 8 Plus is a huge win, as well as incredible camera. Smart HDR has been amazing on XS. And video is HUGELY improved on XR, with incredible video stabilization and exposure.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’ve just bought an 8+ in the last 3 weeks and think it’s a really good phone. It’s only been out a year and is still punching above its weight in terms of performance so understand why it’s still popular among users.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I will be staying with my iPhone 6s+ until I can afford a Google Pixel 2XL.

Glad you're hanging in with the 8 though.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think people that mention comments like yours, strictly don’t understand everyone else’s situation why they may want to upgrade and advantages they have with upgrade programs through carriers and a
    Apple. I think it’s just more of ignorance on your behalf than anything, but you certainly _can’t_ understand everyone else’s mindset and why they want to upgrade, being that it is their own free will.

17. Broadus macrumors 6502a

OP, if I had an 8 Plus, I’m sure I would have kept it, too. I think that a wise move. The 8 Plus is a great phone.

18. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

For those criticizing upgrading each year, had I chosen to “upgrade” to xr, I would’ve actually saved a few dollars per month, given the xr is currently priced lower than the 8plus monthly.

19. chanerz macrumors 65816

20. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

I’m upgrading from silver 8+ to red XR. Ive always wanted a product red iPhone and I want the new design. Also I hate this white front!

21. cinnabun814 macrumors member

cinnabun814

I went from a 8+ to a iPhone XS Max and I feel like I got ripped off even with the larger screen and Face ID. I wish I kept my 8+ instead. Going from a 8+ to XR? You’re not missing out on much at all!! I’d certainly keep the 8+. It’s a sick phone.

22. Denaaaa macrumors member

Or how about to each their own!

23. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Of course it is. That's why I kept mine. :)

I used to be one of those every year upgrade people... but not anymore. Phone hardware is just too good now and the 8 Plus will be a solid phone for a few more years without issue.

I don't care what others do with their money... I just know for me dropping $1000 every year (or is it $1500 now?) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Reason being my 8 Plus is just as fast and effective as it was a year ago when I got it. It still does everything I need it to... so I don't need to upgrade for marginal improvements like an OLED screen I don't care about... a camera I don't care about... and Face ID I don't care about... to go with the A12 I don't care about. The A11 is still rockin'!

P.S. Money isn't the issue.. I own a 65" OLED. It's amazing in the home theater... but could care less about the tech on my phone screen. :)

24. theanimala macrumors 6502

You do know that if you are on the Apple or carrier iPhone upgrade program that if you finish paying off your phone you then own it. You could then sell that iPhone 8 next year for over $300 to help pay for the next iPhone XR or XS. Just saying, I just did this with my iPhone 7 for my Xr.

25. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

A lot of people upgrade every year. And the phones this year are much different than previous years (unless you had an X last year). It's not like the OP is talking about upgrading from 6S to 7 or 7+ to 8+.

To the OP, you have a great phone. For what it's worth, I think you're making the right call.