I've decided to queue tonight in NYC -- help! :)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by krisppp, Mar 15, 2012.

1. krisppp macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Following my last post I'm pretty decided that I'd like to queue for an iPad tonight. I'm in the UK at the moment; but I'm catching a 4pm flight, so I'm hoping to be in the city for 8pm... grab some sleep... then make my way down.

But this is the first time I will have queued for a product (since my iPhone 3G anyway...) and I'd really like everyone's insight into ;

Which store should I go to? 5th or Grand Central?

What sort of time should I try to get there (presumably there's only X iPads available... so if I'm too late I'll miss out :(?)

Any other advice for a first timer?

Cheers :D

Can't wait to be in NYC later on!

Chris

2. RichardMajor86 macrumors member

Yeh, dont bother. The queue will be massive, packed for people hoping to resell abroad.

3. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I think he's going to try regardless. I guess go as soon as possible, like 4am.

I dont know which one is busier. Someone else on a thread said they were able to get one in NYC at lunchtime. Maybe NYC recieved even more this yr.

4. Stocktrader macrumors member

Chance of rain in NY, lows around mid-40's.
    Grand Central is always busy, but the 5th Ave will give you the Apple experience a little more I guess.

Enjoy.

5. iohass macrumors regular

I think you are making a big mistake here.

Catching some sleep after the flight?! Go there now! You are already a couple hours behind and you want to take your sweet time with sleep? GO GO GO

6. krisppp thread starter macrumors newbie

In not sure I'll be able to stay awake if I don't have ANY sleep :) lol

So you you guys reckon that if I get there for 4am then I'll get one? I hope it doesn't rain.... If it does I hope there's somewhere nearby to buy an umbrella !

On my way to the airport now!

7. dspalton macrumors 6502a

good luck dude, dont forget to go on wifi and post pictures

have u got twitter?

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

9. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Dude, there's a starbucks on every corner here, sometimes two! I'd say 5th ave because it's the mothership of apple stores!! Have a safe flight!

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Good luck on getting one! I used to queue at the 5th avenue store since that's Apple's flagship store. The Grand Central one may require you to be outside anyways depending on the time. 5th Avenue is one of the most fun places to queue since there will be other Apple fans there and some people may even bring some stuff to do. Should be fun.

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Go to the 5th avenue and post your pictures here. :)

12. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

NYC view

The only advantage at 5th Avenue is likely to be their supply but the lines may go for blocks. If you get there early you may have a shorter line at West 14th.

In the end it's hard to say. For the iPhones 5th Avenue would have supplies coming in all the time but for the iPad there may be a more limited supply. At some point they will likely run out.

But who outside of Apple really knows?

What I do know is the first reviews are out and Apple is only going to see more interest not less now.

So good luck. :cool:

13. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

You're coming to America to get an iPad?

Someone save this guy a spot in line...

14. Photography, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Honestly, I recommend you go to any of the Apple stores other than Fifth Avenue or Grand Central as those are always the busiest (I say this even though I'm going to pickup my preordered iPad at the Fifth Avenue store tomorrow, only because I have a guaranteed preorder). I would recommend going to the Upper West Side, Meatpacking, or SoHo Apple stores.

15. falcora macrumors 6502

I would recommend just sleeping on the airplane, and having a taxi take you straight to the apple store. I recommend Soho or upper west side, just because they aren't quite as high profile, and you will most likely get an ipad if you get there by midnight.

16. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Best of luck to you!!

Please do take pics and let us know how it is going!

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

FOR SURE save this guy spot in line! That's pretty cool, kinda crazy but cool, lol.

Bring your photo/video camera and take picks along the way, should be quite an experience.

Sleep on the plane then you'll be good to go when you arrive. Thermos of strong coffee will help too!

Good luck on your adventure!

18. Lara F macrumors 6502a

ITA. Actually I'd avoid SoHo too, it's a pretty tourist packed area and likely target for resellers. Go UWS (Lincoln Center stop on the 1 line) or Meatpacking (8th Ave stop on the L line). Good luck!

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Whatever you do, do NOT go to Grand Central. I'm not sure what time the station opens, but they do close down at night and you will have to wait outside the station until they let you in, and that area is horrible to stand around in. Plus it's going to be a nightmare once the morning commuter traffic starts coming through.

Fifth Ave is nice if you get there early enough to line up on the Plaza, and even if the line spills into the sidewalk and around the block, at least those sidewalks are wide and there's plenty of room. The suggestions that some of the smaller stores might have lesser lines do have some merit, but then the Fifth Ave store always gets the most stock. And for people from out of town, it's the easiest store to find -- the one in Soho is especially tricky to locate. So my recommendation will be the Fifth Ave one. And last year, I got to the Fifth Ave store around 4 hours before the 5 pm launch, and was about #200 in line. But hard to say if that will be the case this year. Good luck, and report back on how it goes!

20. Photography, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I've already seen some photos of people at the Fifth Avenue store camping out, and one girl has a sign that says "I'm selling my spot in line for $2,000".

21. Azzin macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was at the W14th store just this morning, just one dude queuing!

[​IMG]

:D

22. krisppp thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow guys! Thanks for all the support. I'm on the plane now... About to take off from heathrow! I'm twitter @chrissouthgate - I don't tweet a massive amount but would love to meet up with anyone else queuing! So if you are about send ne a message! Think I'm going to check into the hotel (were staying near 42nd anyway) and then get a cab to a store!

Unless anyone facies saving me a place!?! :D ill buy you a coffee if you do :) I guess people will be cool with dropping out of line to visit Starbucks every once in a while?

Final call then - still not sure which store to go to :S?

In 8 hours I'll be in NYC - see you all soon!

Chris

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

lol! That might be the place to go, then! Got some great restaurants across the street to pop in for breakfast after you pick up your iPad. :apple:

24. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Goodluck!! Post picture updates on here when you arrive in ny!:cool:

25. Azzin macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll be back there tonight as my hotel is 2 blocks from there.

I'll post back with a pic later tonight.

It's actually my last night there as I'm moving hotels from tomorrow to one in Midtown.

Then back to London in Sunday.