I've given up on 3rd party keyboards

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dagdagdag234, Sep 24, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Maybe it's too soon -- but I've tried them all, and was even dazzled a little by Swype and Swiftkey, but years of using the iPhone stock keyboard, and now with its predictive enhancements, I'm not getting any more comfortable with the swipe method. Granted its only been a week...

Also, since I type in the regular fashion on my Macbook Air, I'm wondering the point of training my muscle memory to use this alternative form of typing, which I will only use on my phone.

I'm not sure my brain has enough room to learn both methods! (okay, now I'm exagerrating)

Random question though: why doesn't the predictive text suggestions pop up when i use safari? If that a setting I can change or done on purpose by apple?

2. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I have too for now. No matter which keyboard is listed first in the keyboards list, the Apple keyboard always comes up first in most apps. Then, when the 3rd party KB is in use, sometimes it just disappears and the only way to get it back is to fully quit the app and restart it.

So far, it's been more trouble than it's worth. It's shame, I really like flow typing.

I'll wait until they work out these kinks.

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Working perfectly for me with Swype. Only bug I'm experiencing is the one where you re launch an app like messages after unlocking the phone, which is a bug affecting almost all of the third party keyboards at the moment since it's an iOS issue.

Have you tried deleting all the other keyboards apart from the one you want to use?

4. flashflooder macrumors regular

I wouldn't call that perfect. I've experienced enough bugs with them that I'm holding off for now.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Does anyone get delay/lag/stutter when the keyboard comes up?

Easiest example for me is swiping down on home screen to launch spotlight. Default keyboard comes up nice and smoothly, all 3rd party ones I've tried stutter on the way up.

Running an iPhone 5.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I've given up. Like the OP said, I like consistency (I type using the same concept on my Mac as my iPhone).

I feel Apple's keyboard in iOS 8 is great.

7. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've tried a few and they all pretty much suck. I never understood the geek factor in them on my Nexus 7. It's pretty much a feature that idiot fanboys like to toss off about.

8. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

8.0.1 is out and supposedly has a fix for a keyboard issue that might be causing ScubaCinci issues (post #2).

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I was thinking the same but I'm staying far away from that update for now :cool:

10. neotope macrumors regular

I like SwiftKey but entering in URLs is extremely painful. It would be nice if they had an option to temporarily toggle off the auto complete.

Also when using Messages sometimes I have to scroll down to see the newest messages.

11. rocat1997 macrumors regular

I agree the 3rd party keyboard has bugs but I definitely prefer it over the apple keyboard. Once I took the apple keyboard off the list, things improved. Wish SwiftKey would get theirs to size properly.

12. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

If you are used to a keyboard, changing to a different keyboard is likely going to involve a learning curve. Changing keyboards is easier if you there is something unsatisfying with your existing keyboard.

When I first got my Galaxy S3, it was much larger than my previous phone. The landscape keyboard was just really wide and I had difficulty reaching the G and H keys. For that reason, I looked for other keyboards with a layout that is better suited for me. Thumb, Kii and SwiftKey had such a layout where the landscape keyboard is split like what you can do on the iPad. This feature made it easier for me to type.

Personally, I don't like typing in portrait because the keys are too close together and I am more prone to errors. I do occasionally. What I find most useful about Swype's gesture typing is that it makes it easy for me to type in portrait and with using only one hand to hold and type. That is the use I found for gesture typing methods.

I did a test of different keyboards and typing with thumbs in landscape and gesture typing in portrait. For me at least, I found gesture typing to be slower than thumb typing.

If you are already comfortable with the way you type normally, then it may not be worth it to learn typing a different way. It will take some time and effort to using a typing method different than what you are use to. If you really want to commit to typing that way, you will have to put up with some period of time where your typing is slower and possibly less accurate than the method you are used to.

I did try a non-traditional keyboard called MessagEase that is available on Android. I did seriously try it out for a few days. After that, I just got fed up with trying to learn a new method of typing and having to put up with slow typing. I could type quite well and quickly with a traditional keyboard in landscape, so I just gave up on MessagEase. Maybe if I knew about it 2 years ago, I would have kept using it. At the time, I wasn't as good a typist on a phone than I am now.

Third party keyboards I tried made the typing experience better than the stock keyboard on some of the phones that I used. They are not for everyone. I like that I do have the option of different keyboards and that I can choose whichever one that is best suited for me. Phones are very flexible devices and some people do prefer taking advantage of the flexibility if they find the default configuration lacking in some way.

13. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly think if they add the microphone key I'll probably try swype again. That way I can type or Swype.

P.S.
    This is such an Apple centric thing but what throws me the most is when the keyboard switches from lowercase to capitals on the non-apple keyboards. After years of just iPhone keyboard I find it very distracting

14. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

hardly perfect...the implementation is so full of bugs it should have been held out.

15. fort macrumors member

Why doesn't anyone offer a keyboard with a row of numbers on top. Or am I missing it?

Seems like with the new larger size of the 6, there is room. (I am not talking about "long press" numbers)

16. ezhilk macrumors member

Count me in. I tried using Swype, Swiftkey and Fleksy and decided to go back to the stock keyboard because while each of those excel in specific ways, the default keyboard is the better overall keyboard and gets the job done without any fuss.

But I tried the Riffsy GIF keyboard for GIF images today morning and loving it so far. Having one place to go to for gif's is pretty handy and so much fun :D

17. jon2690 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue on my 5S.

18. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

The iOS keyboard is rather primitive compared to many third party keyboards on the Android side. I actually hate typing on my iPhone after using Android keyboards.

But don't judge third party keyboards based on the iOS implementation. It appears that Apple has placed enough limitations on third party developers to make their products significantly inferior to the Android counterparts. Including apparently banning them from using dictation.

So, I am finding out that the iOS 8 ecosystem is sill behind.... :(

19. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I've played around with a bunch of them, and none of them were satisfactory for me until I got Miniuum. I really like the idea of the tiny, one row keys that have a smarter autocorrect based on your individual type patterns. It takes some getting used to but even the full-form keyboard works better than the stock iOS one, I believe.

20. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

I noticed that the 3rd party keyboards don't always go back to Apple keyboard by itself anymore. But still can't use those keyboards on quick reply from the lock screen.

21. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

I'm using SwiftKey to type this post and while it isn't faster it is more fun than cramping my two thumbs to type. Once I deleted the other keyboards including the standard iOS one reliability improved.

22. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

The accuracy of Minuum is scarily impressive. Love how you can sloppily and it gets what you want to type.

23. nickdylan macrumors regular

Eh, I tried a few when I first got my iPhone 6, but I'm sticking with the default. If it isn't broken, why fix it? Plus I've been using this keyboard for like 5 years now, so I'm pretty quick with it.

24. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

As someone who use dna iPhone for years.. Switched to Android, learned Swype, and now am back on the 6 Plus... Swype is a much faster input method. And it didn't change the way I think about typing on my iMac.

25. ek9max macrumors regular

I just hate how you can't use 3rd party keyboards when replying from lock screen.