I've gone from high-res to standard res.. I'm happy now!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, May 4, 2010.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Finally got round to exchanging my high-res MacBook Pro to the standard res. I had used the same hard drive, so just swapped it in. My eyes.. so much more relaxed!

I know this seems like a backwards step, but I think it'll be a few more years before websites are designed with such high PPI displays in mind.

Don't get me wrong, it was good being able to have so many windows open, and have so much desktop space, but I just found my eyes were tired/strained a bit from everything being shrunk down.

2. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Glad to hear it!

Hi-res was nice, but dealing with small fonts / using my laptop for long hours I had eye strain as well.

Yes, in time there will be solutions no doubt. In the meantime this 1440 x 900 res screen is perfect for my needs: so easy to read text for long hours, photo's, video look great.

Compared to any windows notebook I've seen Apple has such good screens regardless of the resolution.

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear you guys are happy with the 1440 display :)

Personally, the 1680 display is even on the low side, as I'm used to a 1920 15.4" display.

4. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Glad you got what you wanted. That's why Apple gives us choices. Everyone is different. Enjoy your new MBP! :)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good to know that the standard resolution display works for you. I just learn to look away from the screen once in a while and it helps. I refuse to go back the glossy that's it for me.

Not if you want the anti glare :(

6. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Kilamite: which machine are you using now? Is it a refurb?

7. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

exactly there are 13" laptops with 1080p screens.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Curious............ are you middle aged+. I'm thinking these high res panels are good for the kids only.

cheers
    JohnG

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    same status here. I should receive the normal res MBP today or tomorow. I also gave back the high res. (see signature)

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Congrats, please do a little review when you get it!

I know a few who are eying up the 2010 models but aren't sure they can justify selling their '09' MBP's to upgrade, lol.

11. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok I will post back here as soon as I get it.

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah, unfortunately I've no choice but to use glossy. It ain't so bad.. I did use it for over a year. Matte is my preference, but when its small fonts with tired eyes or normal fonts with reflections.. gotta take the latter.

Nah, its the base Core i5 2.4GHz model. Don't actually see the point in paying a couple hundred more for the 2.53 model. The Core i7 was just overkill for me.

I'm 21. It wasn't that I couldn't read the fonts, it was after looking at the screen for hours that my eyes were sore/tired.

13. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

I'm 31, I wear glasses and I have no troubles with my high-res display. Using it 4-6 hours every day...

14. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah if I got the standard res I'd likely get the i5 also. I got i7 antiglare because it was the only model the store had in stock at launch (and I think still the only one they carry) so the $300 extra I paid was worth it for having my computer then and not waiting another week, affecting my school work and such. Glad it all worked out well in the end.

If I were you, and tech savvy, I'd get my hands on a standard res last gen, and do a screen swap and sell the last gen. I think the only thing that would be invalidated warranty wise would be the screen. But that's a little on the extreme side.

Cheers.

15. stodge macrumors member

Good to see someone going against the grain and getting something they want instead of something others think they should get. :D

16. LSXL macrumors newbie

I just set my high res 15" not to show fonts below a certain size and it works great :)

17. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok, I got my replacement normal res and I'm totally happy with it. I don't regret a single second that I made the exchange.

18. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

19. parajba macrumors 6502

Same here, went from hi-res AG to standard res. Loving it. Screen is very easy to read (I'm always indoor).

20. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

How'd you mean?

High res fo sho. I wouldn't have bought a mac if the high resolution option wasn't there.

21. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Although I must say, aside from text being a bit annoying, my decision was also based on the fact that I game a lot. The standard res should definitely help in that department. Nothing against high-res, I think its a great option, just not needed by everyone.

22. Z06jerry macrumors regular

+1, I agree.

23. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Im 22.

24. Z06jerry macrumors regular

That's middle aged, just ask any teenager. ;)

25. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ha funny you say that. Was just complaining to a friend about how I am turning 23 next month. Aging depresses me.