I've got $1k and am considering a used MBP 2.53

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skibum232, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Skibum232 macrumors newbie

So here is my conundrum:

My parents in law had an old lenovo that was buggy, slow and didn't suit their needs which was basic web surfing, using itunes and photos. So I decided to give them my old 13" white macbook that had been my traveling computer. They loved the switch to mac and now its time for me to pick my new mac laptop. My budget is $1000, $500 of which is a giftcard my wife gave me(unfortunately it isn't too the apple store because I've had great success with their refurb lines).

Here are the options I've come to with my budget:

1. White Unibody macbook
    2. 11" Mac Air 1.4
    3. A used 2.53ghz macbook pro, 2009 model year

My needs for this are for travel and using around the house. Heavy web/email use, the ability to do some graphic work is there but I have photoshop on my PC at work so it isn't a deal breaker. I had great success with working on my old macbook, changed the screen and battery when they kicked out, which I believe is what is scaring me about all the newer unibody models. The air sounds nice but I'm not 100% about losing the ethernet/disc drive even though I didn't use my old one with any frequency. The same for the pro, I like 2.53 core 2, memory and HD but don't know about buying a used computer.

Currently here is what I have:

Imac 27" i7
    Ipad 32GB wi-fi
    Office - Dell Desktop

Thanks for any advice/help. I'm excited to get another apple laptop, I wouldn't even be worrying about my macbook if the relatives didn't need one!

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

11" MBA 1.4. I just got mine the other day w 4 GB and I love it. You already have the iMac for power. The MBA is perfect for travel.

3. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

You can get a refurb MBP 13 for under a grand, or the mba 11". Both are, imho, better choices than a used system. For the times you need ethernet, you can pick up a cheap usb ethernet adapter if you go the air route.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I would get the unibody macbook, because its similar in performance to the 2.53 and its a newer model.

But the mbp has some features that the macbook doesn't have like a backlit keyboard and firewire port. But the newer macbook has a better video card which is better for graphics work.

Also the apple refurb store has a current gen April 2010 13" mbp for $999(http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC374LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc3Mjg).

Either one you get will work fine for what you need.

5. Skibum232 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I really think I'll be happy with the air, plus I read about being able to use the drive off of my iMac so the disc isn't too much of a worry anymore.

I could see the MBP or unibody if I hadn't recently updated to the iMac.

6. theman123 macrumors member

I would go air. You already have a powerful desktop, i think you'd be better off getting an ultraportable system.

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

There is a Microcenter store in Denver, Co, and like all Microcenter stores, you can buy a brand new 2010 MB for $949 or a new 13" MBP for $1099. This is a good deal on a new computer - that can be upgraded to 8gb ram and a SSD later if you want to zoop it up. I bought a 13" MBP from them last summer for $999. It looks like the price went up but check your local listing.

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

With that iMac to handle any heavy lifting, get the 11" Air. However you might find that with the Air your iPad will fall into disuse (ours did) so consider selling that iPad before the new ones come out, and using the extra $$$ to get the 13" Air.

11. T34418leONE macrumors member

Winner. Exactly what you should do, go 13"! Love zoomin on everything with my friends MBA.