I've got an MBP and iPhone 4s, why do I need an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DustinT, Dec 3, 2011.

1. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I've got an MBP and iPhone 4s, why do I need an iPad?

That's the question. I'll be honest, I'm a huge Apple fan so I've got a ton of their products. Currently I own:

early 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    2011 13" MacBook Air
    2011 Mac Mini Server
    Apple TV 2
    2 x Apple Airport Extremes
    2 x iPhone 4s

So, I'm pretty up to date on my Apple stuff. :) What I'm struggling with is that the Apple iPad 2 is supposedly the best tablet on the market. So, I bought one recently to play with and see if there was anything about it that I really needed or wanted. After using it for a few hours, Yes, it's a lovely tablet. But, between the MacBook Pro 15" that I use daily and my iPhone 4s, there's really not a lot that I'd gain from owning an iPad 2. Yes, its very nice, but I can't honestly see what I'd need it for.

So, I posted this hoping I'd get some intelligent responses and maybe some insight into how the table market is something I need to jump on board with now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't.

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

You don't but man, I have to say now with iCloud and Apple TV I use my atv and iPhone more than my MBP for day to day email, surfing and entertainment. My MBP is becoming almost not needed for most of my uses day to day.

That said due to the small iPhone screen and with iPad mirroring to atv and iPad is looking really interesting to me.

But this is because I am in Japan and refuse to be raped by cable costs so all my entertainment comes from iCloud, iTunes, MLB in atv, NFL Gamepass App, Hulu or the Internet. I could make a strong case for owning an iPad.

4. matttye macrumors 601

They're fun to use, that is all.

I haven't used my desktop for about 4 days now.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why struggle to find a use for it?
    It either fits your work flow and user experience or it doesn't
    It isn't meant for everyone

I have a MBA and an iPhone
    But I still use my iPad for reading books, portable presentations and note taking, movies when traveling, and more

MBA = creating content, documents, work
    iPad = consuming content, movies, books and presentations
    iPhone = calls, emails, texts and a few significant apps

If your other devices meet your needs then you likely don't need one
    Having one just to have one is a luxury some can afford, but not everyone can

6. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It's not really a matter of being able to afford it, more that I can't justify having one.

Regarding not needing a desktop anymore, there's a lot of work I do that requires a full computer, in fact I frequently use a couple of VMs to do my work since I require a few Windows tools from time to time throughout the day. So, there's no way any tablet can replace my desktop, at least not yet.

So, the iPad is more about convenience, the larger screen size and, I suppose, it can go places I wouldn't want to take a $2000 MacBook Pro, whether that be because of the size or the liability of carrying something that expensive.

I am in college as an adult learner and I am curious how it works for note taking during class. I suppose I'll slide over to the store and buy a stylus and give it shot at some classes for the next couple of weeks. But, I'm not sure that the iPad designers have managed to beat the pen and paper designers, yet. I'd love any tips on how I might fit this into my work flow. I'm already a pretty big Evernote and Drop box user, so apps that sync with those tools would be appreciated.

7. wouwout macrumors member

You don't need an iPad. I was in a similar situation and sold my iPad. It's a nice toy, impressive quality, however in the end it's just a large iPod touch.
    Maybe you could justify it as a game platform, there have been some impressive games lately.

8. eyeseeyou, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011

eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

First off the iPad is a luxury so you don't "need" it.

For me personally I use my laptop for work, iPhone for you know phone calls and the iPad for browsing/social networking/online shopping/media consumption/killing time. The desktop has been reduced to a media server/photo storage. I actually use logmein to prevent me from actually sitting in front of my desktop. Lazy I know but if it's an option....

The ipad turns on instantly and the battery lasts forever. Until the day it actually runs photoshop/illustrator and I can plug in a mouse/keyboard/graphic tablet I'll keep my MacBook around.

Oh I actually have started dumping all of my latest photos taken NOT WITH my iPhone into my iPad turning it into the family photo album. There's this app that also wirelessly dumps new pics into iPhoto on my desktop.

Also have loaded up some Family board games like scrabble and connect 4.

No more physical photo albums and no more physical board games.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

Get rid of one of your notebooks. That's overkill also. You or your family obviously have expendable income.

Everything you have is overkill.

Apple products are luxury items. No one needs an iPad.

It's the holiday season. You should donate some of your items to charities for others in need.

My wife and I decided not to buy anything for each other and are giving gifts to two local area families and their children. People just request clothes and one toy for each of their kids. We spent close to $500 for 4 adults and 5 children. $500 going to help others goes a long way than deciding whether to get an iPad when you have much more than others.

Lots of people struggling this season and you do not need an iPad.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

No one needs an iPad, but they do serve a purpose for some.

I bought one just to see what all the raving was about. It's typical Apple, nicely designed and useful within it's limitations.

For me I could take it or leave it since I already have a full compliment of Apple computers & iPhones. I do believe those who say after they bought one their computers sit unused, probably didn't need a computer in the first place.

It's all in what your personal needs are. Mine sees use as a web browser for leisure & that's about it. However I'm very active & love fitness, sports & the outdoors so I don't stay on the couch indoors.

It's all about your lifestyle.

11. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

I appreciate your input. I probably should have said that the MacBook Air and the second iPhone 4s are used by my wife.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A far more gracious response than the one I was contemplating :)

13. gpo1956 macrumors member

Me, too!

14. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

rofl.... you read my mind.

----------

Ya, I think thats what its going to come down to. I just thought check if I was missing something. :)

15. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Apple marketing did an awesome job, considering that:
    • Some people consider iPhones, iPads and Macbooks a "need"
    • Some people require external opinion to convince themselves they don't "need" to buy an additional Apple product

16. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Do you use 2 iPhones??? There's a difference between what you own (purchased?) vs. what you use yourself.

No, you don't "need" an iPad as you don't really need the MacBookAir or AppleTVs or Airport Extremes....

17. jasonph macrumors newbie

It all depends

I was very against getting an iPad but my good lady wanted one. Once we had it and found out how convenient it was for many everyday tasks so we got another to stop the 'arguments'. And now my son wants one.

Yes we have iphones, and macs for 'heavy duty' use, but my iPad goes most places with me. I use it for quick VMWare management at work, popping in and out of RDP sessions (some great RDP clients), reading, presentations on the move, checking news and Mac sites, checking and setting TV programmes, watching BBC iPlayer and iTV player, and of course playing games. It's the Apps, they make it so convenient.

I could do the same on my Air (except interestingly the native Mac RDP clients aren't as good?!!!) or boot into Windoze, but an always on machine laying around is far more inviting.

So yes it's a useful, and fun, tool. We find we use our computers less just because the iPad is convenient, lighter, less bulky and 'always on' and ready to go. Plus quite a lot of functions are much easier to navigate with a touchscreen than a mouse (however good) and keyboard.

It's a personal preference but I am an 'anti' who converted to an enthusiastic user thanks to my wife. And I thought I was the gadget freak LOL!

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I juist recommended a friend get an iPad instead of a more expensive computer which would be overkill for her needs. I personally believe that people do need one computer these days so she actually does need an ipad.

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Depends. If you are on a computer mostly for work, and then don't use one at other times, an iPad probably won't do much for you. For me, I have a laptop that is pretty much work only, an iMac that I use to manage all of our devices and to relax at in the morning or before bed. The rest of the time, it's the iPad. In the kitchen, in the Livingroom, traveling in the car or traveling by plane, it's ALL iPad. You just can't beat the size, weight, instant on, and the battery life. It's a totally different experience than even a laptop. And it's not something most people will understand until they try one for themselves.

20. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I have one..just got it recently. It is a device which falls into the 'want' category and not 'need'. To me,whatever use I can think of,there is no getting around this fact. My MBP is always on, lasts for 7 hours with light usage(check mail, create documents), and with Lion installed, is just as fun to use.

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

This, quoted for truth.

The OP doesn't need an iPad, but it is nice to have (the MBA can do virtually everything the iPad can, but it's not as convenient).

22. DustinT thread starter macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, I think at some level I knew this, even though I had never owned one. So, getting a sense of this is probably a big reason for getting an iPad to play with.

23. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Umm...excuse me? Who the heck are you to tell ANYONE other than your children what they need and don't need.

That's great for you that you are trying to help people this holiday season, but it isn't your place to put yourself on a pedestal for a "look at me" moment while you tell others how great you are and what they should be doing with their expendable income.

I personally found your post to be the most offensive that I have ever seen on this board.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You haven't been around here much, then! :rolleyes:

25. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I was against ipads until a passenger in front of me on a plane almost crushed my netbook because he wanted to recline.

To me, iPad is a convenience item. I will be very much ok without it. But I am pretty happy with it as well. If you have ability to dump 500 bucks, sure, pick one up. Nobody really NEEDS one, but it's a nice item to have.