I've got bar...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChristopherM, May 27, 2009.

1. ChristopherM macrumors member

ChristopherM

When I watch films on my MBP the toolbar will remain on the screen.

It doesn't have any menu details, no text, no icons, just a plain, slightly transparent bar. It's there whether I use VLC, DIVX, Quicktime, whatever.

I don't know how to get rid of it, nor whether I might have downloaded a rogram that puts it there. If I did, it's long since deactivate but with this little ghosty.

Any thoughts?

2. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

I'm not sure if I'm posting from the land of obscurity but each time(admittedly, this is coming from a low number) I've asked a question on this messageboard, I've got nothing. No help, no hinderance, not once. Nothing.

Maybe I'd be best posting a thread in the "picture gallery" subsection and asking for people to post a picture of their hand doing what it mostly does(this in light of the 364 replies to the firearms thread or the 308 on "do you have an apple sticker on your car").

Sigh...

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think one reason is there's not much detail and "we" don't know where to start...

But - :)

I just played a bit with QuickTime to see if I can find anything similar to what you're experiencing. The closest I can come is to leave the cursor at the top of the screen. This causes the menu bar to appear, but it's the normal bar (text and icons). If I move the cursor down, it hides.

VLC behaves the same way.

I tried turning on "translucent menu bar" (System Preferences > Desktop and Screen Saver. Normally it's disabled - don't get me started). Same (although I wouldn't expect too much difference).

Are you using a 2nd display and/or TV output? Are you zooming the display (control + scroll wheel or 2-finger scroll) instead of using the apps "full screen" mode"?

If I think of anything else, I'll update, but I'm at a loss for the moment.

4. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

Thanks for the reply gr8tfly! I'm just using the screen on the MBP, I've tried all of the basic stuff(that which you suggested plus uninstalling any odd apps I've downloaded, playing with system prefs, etc.) but the bloody thing won't go away!

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Can you take a screen shot [and attach] when you see it occurring? (full screen is cmd-shift-3) Maybe something will ring a bell (visually speaking ;) )...

6. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

Thar she blows(thanks for the help)! You can see it up the top, not huge but it is the same height as the usual toolbar.

Attached Files:

7. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Not sure about your "menu bar issue", but I'm intrigued how you got a screen shot at 2880x1800 pixels??

8. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

I did the snapshot of the screen, which goes to pdf, I opened it with preview, saved as jpg and then dropped the quality of the image, so that I could attach it easily.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Well, I also have to ask how the screenshot got to be 2880x1800. The largest MacBook display is 1280 x 800. Also, the default is PNG, not PDF - so either you've made a patch to change the default or are using a different method to take the screenshot (other than cmd-shift-3).

Just to verify: If you watch the movie in a window, is the bar visible?

10. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

The bar is visible, during viewing of a full screen film on VLC, QT or any other media player.

I'm not sure about the snapshot/screen question that seems to have caught the eye. My default is pdf. I've never cared enough to want to change it. No idea on the screen size thing either. I'm just using a humble MBP from the year 2017, oops, I mean 2008. :)

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I've heard about this mystery bar appearing when Hulu is playing. In fact, I think a thread was posted about it here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=695000

12. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

It was not resolved there either, Ben. Thanks though...at least I'm not alone!