I've made an iPhone 4 wallpaper site...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 226896, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 226896 Guest

...because all the ones I've seen so far suck. They're cluttered, spammy, half the wallpapers are crappy resolution, and I know I could do so much better.

All wallpapers on i4 Wallpapers are FULL iPhone 4 resolution (640 x 960), and I make sure of that. The site is easily navigated, with clear thumbnails of all categories, and images within that category.

I've uploaded a few wallpapers today, and will upload at least five more every day. I'm constantly adding new categories, and there's even a page where you can submit your own wallpapers to me, to put on the site.

Please don't think this is just me like, "OMG VISIT MY NEW SITE ON FREEWEBZ FOR ALL UR IPHOEN4 NEEDSZ LOL". I bought a domain, and hand coded this site because I wanted it to be useful and a place people could go to easily get some lush wallpapers for a lush device.

The site is: i4 Wallpapers

Let me know what you think.

2. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

Nice wallpapers. I've been looking for something like this. Thanks! :D

3. Ktdhc macrumors member

Looks nice and simple. Keep up teh work :)

One thing though, people usually say iP4 and not i4 but whatever.

4. Aaron J macrumors newbie

Yes, it looks good. Thanks! I am sure it is going to grow.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

6. Los macrumors regular

If you're going to go ahead and do this, then I highly suggest you give a PNG option for downloading these Wallpapers. That way all the colors are properly retained and the wallpapers won't suffer from horrible JPEG compression.

Remember, not everyone knows how to properly compress images into a JPEG format, so they'll screw it up. It would be much better for them to just submit them in PNG format in the first place.

7. 226896 thread starter Guest

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

And thanks to everyone else for the kind words!

8. Los macrumors regular

Your site has potential. I'm wondering if I should upload the Wallpapers I made. Sadly, I got them from DeviantArt and cropped them and everything, don't know if I can submit them. =(

Bookmarking the site though.

9. 226896 thread starter Guest

Well as long as they're above the iPhone 4 resolution I can use them. As for using other people's work... well I guess it's me who will get the blame so I wouldn't worry about submitting them. I will try my best to avoid using copyrighted images though.

Thanks for bookmarking also, appreciate the support.

10. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

11. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

You lie ;)

12. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

13. 226896 thread starter Guest

Haha! Forgot about that :D. Meh, I'll leave it there for now :p.

14. 226896 thread starter Guest

Loads fine on mine.

15. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Good luck to you and your wallpaper site. This was the same mentality I had when I started my site back in the day...There really aren't that many great wallpaper sites, so keep up the quality and updates, and people will come!

16. 226896 thread starter Guest

Thanks a lot, appreciate the kind words :).

17. spades1412 macrumors 6502

This has great potential. Would be cool to get a category up for wallpapers that integrate with the apps. Its like having themes without jailbreaking. Theres a couple threads with some awesome stuff in it.

18. 226896 thread starter Guest

Yea I've seen a few; I know what you're on about. They really are nice, so I'll definately be looking into them :).

19. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Good job guy.

I saved the blue apple logo to my photos when I switch the Ohm symbol I have now.

20. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Looking good, bookmarked for future once some more content gets added.

21. 226896 thread starter Guest

Thank you both, much appreciated. I'm getting more and more content all the time; making thumbnails and resizing images is only fun for so long in one day :D.

22. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Hate to be the only negative nancy here to bust your chops but your website doesn't bring anything unique to the table. I can find the above few wallpapers on most actual wallpaper sites I visit.

The layout is simple and not very pleasing, looks like it was done on some kind of website editor with not much thought put into it.

I wish you luck but I don't think I'll religiously refresh your website like I do most iP4 wallpaper sites.

23. 226896 thread starter Guest

Thanks for your criticism, but I think you're missing the point of the site. It's not supposed to be a flashy site. I'm a web designer and would have done that if I wanted; but this site is all about the content, and it being easily accessable. All wallpapers are high detail, and the correct iphone 4 resolution, and I don't put any intrusive ads, pop ups, or misleading links anywhere.

As for the design, I just whipped it up in Photoshop in a half hour, then coded it. It is a clean, simple design; with decent fonts, spacing and alignment. I have to resize every single thumbnail and image, then add the necessary code to display it and make sure it functions, for every single wallpaper. I don't wanna be wasting my time on an amazing 'Web 2.0' design that doesn't really matter. As long as my site looks nothing like the array of horrible, poorly coded Javascript ridden ad dumps that most wallpaper sites are, I'm happy; and I'm sure a lot of my users are too.

24. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

25. samcraig macrumors P6

And yet there are google adds all over which make the layout a bit messy.

I don't begrudge you trying to get some return on your investment/time - but stating you don't put any intrusive ads on your site is like Apple saying there's no antenna issue ;)