I've made my wife wait for a new MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manatee, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

My wife's PowerBook Al 15" has become more and more troublesome, despite OS re-installs, disc swaps, memory swaps, and other attempts to get it running smoothly.

A couple of months ago she decided she wanted to buy a new MacBook Pro, but I told her to wait -- in case a new version is introduced at WWDC on 9-June. Not that there's anything wrong with the specs of the current MBP, but I figured since the form-factor/appearance of the MBP hasn't been updated since the original PowerBook Aluminum went on sale (6 years ago?), I figured maybe there would be something new.

Anyway, she's been struggling with the old PowerBook, and she's going to be pissed at me if Steve doesn't present a new MBP on Monday!

Am I in trouble?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes. Never disagree with the wife.

Actually just always say yes, apologize later.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Prepare your concession speech. There is no way new MBP's will be coming. I expect to see them later in the year... say October - November.

4. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

If you really want to make points, go buy her a new MBP today and hand it to her when she comes to tell you they didn't announce a new one.

Heck, if they do by some odd circumstance you can always return it.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I can deal with waiting for myself, but I would not make someone else wait to buy something they really need.

Here's what you do.

1) Take her out to dinner
    2) Go to the nearest Apple store and buy the MBP
    3) Have a nice weekend and be glad you are not having a fight with your wife over the possibility of a form factor update or an incremental upgrade in specs

6. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Let me get this straight...you told your wife to do something and she actually did it? Holy crap!! How does that work? My liege! Please dispense some nuggets of wisdom.

My wife would have bought the new MBP and broken mine by beating me over the head for good measure. Ok, perhaps that's a slight exaggeration, but only slight.

Oh, and yes, you're going to be in big doo-doo. No new MBPs on Monday. I say late July/August at the earliest, but there is at least a 60% chance that I am 100% wrong about that. Good luck.

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Amen... :(

The wife keeps threatening to give my iPhone a bath, that cant be good... :(

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

thats what i was like in my maths statistics exam i had today! :D or :( hmmm...

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you think? ha ha ha!:D

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd just tell your wife to buy one now as I'm pretty sure there wont be any new update at WWDC and possibly an update sometime around August-November.

11. jsbarone macrumors regular

what makes you so sure?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if he's wrong, if it comes out next week it'll be a nice swap.

13. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Holy Cow! Who wears the pants in your family!?

Don't you know there's a rule, that any new mac hardware - anything more expensive than a keyboard - is YOURS first? Then you get to hand down some piece of hardware to your wife or other family member.

So that would mean that any new MBP you buy is YOURS and that two year old Santa Rosa you have becomes her NEW computer! She'll be thrilled to get rid of her PPC Powerbook! Same principal applies iPods.

This is the case in every household I know of. There's not too many battles one can win against one's wife, but this is one of them. You need to train her and set her expectations accordingly. :)

14. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Go to the nearest Apple store and buy her the MBP and wrap it in a nice way ;) and keep it in the trunk of your car till Monday :D

Then watch Steve Jobs' keynote with her and after that hand her HER new MBP :cool: .... she will be :eek: and will give you the best **** ever :)

15. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go, run and buy her a MBP. If your wife is not happy, nor will your home be happy...

16. SPCMirvis macrumors newbie

Don't make her suffer

I recently spent $2500 on mine and that is with my 8% military discount and I LOVE MY MACBOOK PRO.
    250 HD
    512 Geforce 8600GT

17. Manatee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manatee

That's how it has been until now. The PB she has was mine until I got the MBP (on Day 1, of course!) Now she wants a brand new computer. She'll have something far more powerful than what I have. From what I read here, it sounds like I'll be buying her a new MBP on Monday.

18. geekygoddess macrumors member

Wow, I wish my husband was as thoughtful as you. Yeah, I think your chances for a revision MBP on monday are pretty slim, however, it's only two days away, what is the harm in waiting, just to be on the safe side? You never really know with Apple.

19. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I second this! Like Jabberwocky246 says, if they bring out new ones Monday, you can return it, and if they don't (which is extremely likely) then you can just hand it to her. If you're going to buy it on Monday anyway, then there's no reason not to get it now and just keep it a secret until then. :D

You get at least two weeks to return it unopened no matter what, right?

20. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Well, if anything, that's now an excuse for you to buy one at the same time... You can walk around and act all mopey if she flaunts her new PC. She'll take pity on you. All women do...

21. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

It is better to be wrong and have sex than be right and jeprodise your sex life.

---edit---
    Just see how it turns out next time when your ready.

"Oh You want the dumb girl to do that."

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ :D

This is a very dangerous rule indeed.

...says the "yes dear, of course we should get a new mac pro" wifey who really uses it most. ;)

23. corysti macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if they has been noted but you have a 14 day return policy so if you do buy it then 5 days later they update it you can return it and get the other one.

24. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well don't let your wife reach her potential... ;)