I've never been so sick

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DJMastaWes, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

So, here's the deal.
    Through my 16 years of being on earth, i've thrown up maybe, 4 times? Today, I've thrown up a total of 6 times. I have a headache, i'm VERY weak (lifting my iPhone is tough), I'm really sluggish, feel cold and it just sucks. I don't mind waiting it out, but the only problem is that I can't miss school tomorrow, because I'm in an intensive gym class, and if I miss just ONE class, I fail the course.

Some possibilities:
    Both my dad and brother were sick like this a few days ago, and my mom is currently just as sick as I am.
    This leaves us with three possibilities.
    a) I caught whatever my brother and dad had.
    b) I'm sick from the KFC I ate last night
    c) It has something to do with us painting our house this last two weeks, and living in a house full of fumes and dust.

As I type this, I feel so, so, but then I'll have the urge to throw up at random times (it's to the point where it's yellow liquid).

My question to you guys is, what do you think I have/why, and what can I do to help this move along (leave out going to the doctor, because I want to see id there's anything I can do here at home first).

Thanks a ton!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You have to wait it out, however, you need to get fluids down you (water, gatorade) because you're likely dehydrated.

If the vomiting lasts any longer you may need a doctor, one that isn't on the interwebs.

Best of luck.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

What Jessica said too, hydrating is very important.

a or b, definitely not c.

I once slept in freshly painted room during winter, so the windows were only a tiny bit open and I survived just fine.

I would say go have some rest, and don't go to KFC for a while...

4. Woder-Woman macrumors member

It was probably A or B to be honest

The best thing you could probably do is stay in bed and drink as much water as you can...if you still don't feel well it would be better for you to go to the doctors...

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I wouldn't bother with painkillers and other household drugs. Your immune system is the best defense you have IMO. I'd just let your body fight it off.

Are you really sure your gym class won't take illness into consideration? That sounds incredibly unreasonable. It's not your fault you're ill...

EDIT: the EMacs doctor gives good results I've heard...

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Dude, that's one strict class! Even with a doctors note?

My advice (and I'm not a doctor so take this advice with a grain of salt). Rest, gatorade or similar electrolyte drink, something for your headache (aspirin, etc). When I've been sick these things have helped. Have plenty of movies to watch so you stay still but not bored. Good luck!

7. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

trust me, i'm not having KFC in a while. the only thing that puzzles me, is that both my brother and father were throwing up, ect before we ate KFC (few days before). So maybe one transferred it to the other, and then to us.

8. Lau Guest

It sounds like there's absolutely no way you can go to a gym class in that state.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but if I were you I'd go to the doctor and get them to sign you off, which should hopefully get you out of failing the gym class. Surely they can't fail you if you're genuinely ill.

9. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Well, the intensive gym is 4 classes for the whole semester, so, if I miss one class, I miss 1/4 of the course. I'll have to e-mail her, but i'll try drinking some stuff and hope that helps.

EDIT: Is there anything good I can eat? I haven't had a grain of anything in me all day - and now my stomach is empty (but, I'm not starving).

10. indiochano macrumors regular

screw your gym class and go see a doctor... get a doctor's note as the excuse for not going to class... exercising while youre in that state won't help your body a bit... you need rest and you shouldn't force your body.

Go see a doctor as soon as possible.

Good luck!

11. Lau Guest

I don't think any gym teacher would want you there in that state.

I've heard absolutely plain boiled rice is the best thing, but with stomach bugs or food poisoning you should ideally wait 24 hours since you last threw up before you eat anything. I'd certainly wait until you actually feel hungry, or you'll just throw up again. Eating something too soon will just prolong it.

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Sip 7-Up. Little sips, make a can last a couple hours. Not the diet kind, but fully leaded. The sugar's good for the system at this point, fluid of any kind helps, and the carbonation will stimulate a little burping, which will also make you feel better. I survived 9 days on a single can, it was the only thing that would stay down. Believe me, it works. Some folks like either green or chamomile tea, too. Once you're ready for something a little more solid, bananas are a good choice after a major round of ralphing.

Honestly, it sounds like a stomach bug. Could be viral, in which case all you can do is treat it symptomatically and support yourself. If it's bacterial, antibiotics are already likely past due. Your body is doing what it's supposed to. Fluids, rest, stay away from hard foods, or anything particularly alkaline or acidic.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Since both your dad and brother were previously sick with similar symptoms, I doubt it's food borne illness.

Just a thought.

Due to the nature of the gym class, try to contact the teacher beforehand. If not, you may have to go.

Good Luck, and I hope you feel better soon. :)

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I agree. It would be irresponsible of the gym teacher to force you to workout in that condition, as doing so could be detrimental to your overall health. Plus, your attendance could lead to numerous other students contracting your illness.

Besides, it is undoubtedly against school policy to attend classes with a contagious sickness.

I realize things might be different in Quebec, but in California it can be considered illegal to penalize a student for an absence due to a legitimate illness.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Chances you have a bug. A stomach virus can be spread from person to person, and involves throwing up. Food doesn't help the situation. I finished with throwing up, then with an empty stomach, sipped 7up and nibbled on saltine crackers. Both stayed down, and laid in bed. Worked wonders. Doctors excuse is what you need to cover your bases with the class.

16. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Do not go to that gym class! If you have a virus and you do any intense physical exercise it can cause real damage. It is not worth it, just rest and make sure you get back to 100% health, that is by far the most important thing.

P.S. If you are taking serious gym classes then you must be a health and fitness guy, why go to KFC?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats the worst idea I've ever heard for a class!

It forces sick, injured people to do it anyway or fail...who ever made the rule should rethink it.

18. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

i'm taking them because after 4 classes, the course is done. rather than having one 2 hour gym class each week for 15 weeks, i figured having four 3 hour gym classes in two weeks and being done with it would be much better.

19. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

In the UK we having a saying about putting all your eggs in one basket....

Seriously though I hope you feel better soon.

All the best.

20. cheyennewilson macrumors member

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Ummm, dude? You have the flu. The only thing you can do is drink plenty of fluids and sleep it off. Whether you like it or not, I'd have you parents call off school for you.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

since your dad and brother have both had the same, I'm joining the "you caught it from them" group

(four 3 hour gym classes in two weeks? why do they even bother? what a waste)

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't know how it is with you, but this will fry my sinuses and give me an infection and sore throat in no time - and their the first line of defense so once they go I get sicker than a dog.

if you're throwing up so much make sure you get enough liquid down. If you throw up for any longer than a few hours and can't keep anything down, think about a doctor visit. I was very sick a couple years ago and threw up so much I got dehydrated, which in turn kept me throwing up more and getting more dehydrated. It's nothing to mess around with. It got so bad it ended up I had to go the hospital late at night so they could pump me back up intraveinously.

Try to keep enough water down - if not, see a doctor.

24. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I am not a doctor, and suggest that if it persists you go and see one.

But seeing as other family members have had very similar symptoms (and I assume are now fine) it is most likely something like 'Winter Vomiting Disease' or Norovirus.

Basically 48(ish) hrs of feeling like you do. It's caught through spores in the air (i.e. from vomit, sneezing.etc) which land on surfaces.

So a note to everyone (including the OP), in future when you're in close quarters with people who have these symptoms, stay away from them as much as possible, wash your hands reguarly (especially before eating,etc.) and clean all commonly touched surfaces .ie. handles, toilet flushes.etc.

If the symptoms persist, DO go and see a doctor, but most of the time it's just 'flu'.

Further Reading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/wintervomiting1.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

Hope this helps, and hope you feel better soon! Everyone gets this at some point, so the best thing to to is be aware and take lots of precautionary measures. (Luckily for me my mother is a Consultant Microbiologist (but even we get struck sometimes))

25. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Have you consumed Maple Leaf packaged products?

http://investor.mapleleaf.ca/phoenix.zhtml?c=88490&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1188865&highlight=

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/08/24/6555631-sun.html

edit:
    Death toll now 12

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/09/01/listeriosis-deaths.html