I've never held an Iphone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

So I was thinking about how much I love the Iphone, I bought a 3G on release July 11th 2008 and now sit here with a 3GS purchased on June 19 2009.

I started thinking how I have never held or played with a 2G, anyone else here never touched the aluminum goodness of the 2G?

Any chance if I went into an Applestore they would let me check one out if they even still have them?

Sorry, it's Friday and I'm bored at work.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Depends on what you're going to do with it when you "touch" it. :D

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That phone is two years old, an Apple store wouldn't have one to play with.

I will say that a major minus of the flat back design was that its easier to scratch your camera lens than on the 3G. That and the headphone jack.

4. Killquake macrumors member

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

6. dvin macrumors member

i won't buy another iphone until apple releases another aluminum model. hopefully it will be next. I love the construction of my 2G.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its like touching the cheek of God Himself. :)
    I'm bored at work too.

In all seriousness, my friend had the aluminum back iPhone and I was impressed, but those dents are kind of annoying. I'd rather have scratches then dents.

8. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but......

I think its a slightly better build. My g/f still has one and they are pretty solid.

9. chox99 macrumors regular

It feels little fatter because it's not tapred on the side, but it's thinner overall. Alloy feels GREAT! on hands instead of sticky yucky new case. (I have 3GS) Black antenna cover is sure ugly thou. I'm hoping for alloy case comeback:)

10. ucbearcats macrumors member

No you won't, there are plenty of people that would agree with you on that

11. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I can't imagine Apple coming out with yet another same design new iPhone, therefore, it will be different and I predict it won't be plastic.

12. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I bought the 2G several days after the launch. I loved it and never planned on moving up to the 3G until the touch screen stopped responding. The cost to repair (at that time) was the same as moving up to the 3G so I made the move. Why not have a brand new iPhone rather than a repaired iPhone for the same price...

I did like the feel of the 2G. Just felt stronger and more solid. I am happy with my 3G mostly for the speed with emails and the web. I doubt I'll move to the 3GS. Partly because I am not eligible until the summer of 2010 and mostly because I am happy with my 3G.

13. lavinci macrumors 6502

When I went to the apple store, some employees still use the 2G. Ask the manager or one of the employees if anyone still has one because most likely all of the employees have some sort of iPhone.

14. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'll do that, wouldn't they still have some refurb units available for customer swaps etc?

I really do like the look of the aluminum, not to say I don't like the sexy black of the 3G/S either, both beautiful phones.

The aluminum just reminds me of a little Macbook Pro.

:apple:

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I still have mine:D I love it and will be replacing it with the 3GS pretty soon.

16. ppilone macrumors 6502

I just replaced my 2G with the 3GS - while the 3GS is nice and really sharp looking - I miss the aluminum so much. That phone was amazing :eek:

17. ventro macrumors 6502a

The 2G was easily the best iPhone design ever. I loved how there was very little space between the display and the sides of the phone. Also the aluminum back felt nice and cold in your hand, it felt very expensive.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Even after many falls and dents, it still feels expensive.

19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I havent either, it was never released in Sweden so I havent held one. But I seen many here, imported from other countries.

20. netslacker macrumors 6502

I got the new 3GS having just moved up from the 1st gen and I miss the flat back of the original phone. I'm not a fan of the now curved design (since 3G) or the plastic. This is "progress" tho, right?!

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Actually, you are. the 2G was a genius in design, and rivals the 3G on every level except GPS and 3G chips. It's like saying that playing with a PS1/2 is a waste of time because you own a PS3.