Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R94N

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
You know how people buzz about these shows like Dexter, True Blood, Glee, etc. Is it weird that I've never seen any of these shows? I haven't even seen anything like CSI or Lost either. It could be just that I'm in the UK or my age, but I've never thought to bother with them. Anyone else the same?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
LOST was awesome, and Dexter is friggin' awesome. It was the season premiere of Dexter tonight..... I reordered Showtime this afternoon so I could watch it.

You're not necessarily "missing out", but they are entertaining shows.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
You know how people buzz about these shows like Dexter, True Blood, Glee, etc. Is it weird that I've never seen any of these shows? I haven't even seen anything like CSI or Lost either. It could be just that I'm in the UK or my age, but I've never thought to bother with them. Anyone else the same?

I'm the exact same way. I really don't watch TV except for the forensic shows (the real ones with real life cases) on TruTV and some stuff on the discovery channel.

Or if there are ghost stories on I can't pass those up!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Never watched True Blood either, it simply doesn't interest me. Glee can be alright - it's best episodes are terrific but when it's a bad episode it can be so boring.

What's Dexter about then?

A serial killer with a twist. The main point is that he is a blood spatter analyst for Miami Metro, so one of the last places you'd look for a serial killer. And the only people that he kills are people that themselves have murdered others (he sees it as cleansing the world of bad people). It's some pretty intense stuff, especially Season 4 - that just blew me away.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

I watched the first 2 episodes of Dexter, found it thoroughly dull and stopped watching.
The trailers were enough to put me off the other shows.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I watched the first 2 episodes of Dexter, found it thoroughly dull and stopped watching.

It's the same with every season of Dexter - it generally starts off very slow and then builds up and the final three or four episodes are a virtual orgasm (excuse my use of this word) of audio visual entertainment. The twists and turns really don't start until halfway through the first season.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
It's the same with every season of Dexter - it generally starts off very slow and then builds up and the final three or four episodes are a virtual orgasm (excuse my use of this word) of audio visual entertainment. The twists and turns really don't start until halfway through the first season.

If a series doesn't grab my attention in the first 2 episodes I don't watch them. I'm not going to sit there week after week being bored just in case something interesting happens at the end.
TV series these days seem to be written with the aim of making multiple series, hence nothing happening at the beginning and season finale cliff hangers. I really have better things to do with my time.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^ Personal preference. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I wouldn't characterize any of the episodes as dull or boring.

Last season's finale of Dexter was jaw-droppingly good.

I don't think anyone will be able to top John Lithgow's performance last season. Unreal.

So are we turning this into the official Dexter thread?:p

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
If a series doesn't grab my attention in the first 2 episodes I don't watch them. I'm not going to sit there week after week being bored just in case something interesting happens at the end.

And if people bothered reading the books that the series is based on instead of parking their ass in front of the tv hoping that something good will happen, they would know it gets better.

Covart

Aug 15, 2010
Europe

Glee = show for women or gay men. From wikipedia: Glee is a musical comedy-drama television series that airs on Fox in the United States. It focuses on a high school show choir (a modern glee club) called "New Directions", at the fictional William McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio.

True Blood = Vampire's join human society and the story line takes place in Louisiana. Werewolves, Vampires, Fairies, Shapeshifters are all in this. Quite a bit of sex as well.

Spartacus Blood and Sand = Best show on television. Full frontal scenes, Lucy Lawless and gladiator gore. Think of the movie 300 on steroids. Did I mention Lucy Lawless naked?

Fringe = X-Files for the 21st century

30 Rock = Tina Fey comedy, which is actually really funny.

Cougar Town = If you are near the age of 40, this is a must see 1/2 hour comedy show, on weekly with Courtney Cox.

Modern Family = One of the funniest shows on TV. Period.

House = Still one of the best shows on TV. Dr. House diagnoses the unexplicable with his team.

Covart

Aug 15, 2010
Europe
I know plenty of straight guys that enjoy this show.
These are the same guys that saw Sex and the City 2 at the movies. It's because their wives/girlfriends have their jewels stuffed away in their purses. Truth can be a harsh mistress.

And I never said there was anything wrong with the show. But it's intended demographic is not for the straight male aged 18 to dead.

Funkatronic

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Pune, India
These are the same guys that saw Sex and the City 2 at the movies. It's because their wives/girlfriends have their jewels stuffed away in their purses. Truth can be a harsh mistress.

And I never said there was anything wrong with the show. But it's intended demographic is not for the straight male aged 18 to dead.

You're generalizing. I watch Glee, it might be a tad bit dramatic most times, but as a musician/singer one cant deny the music is the reason I watch it, some of the arrangements are pretty fantastic.

And I wouldn't touch anything Sex & the City related with a stick! A rather long one at that.

But then, im a perfectly straight guy who also watched Queer As Folk UK & US.

Try generalizing now, perhaps?

Apart from that, you're spot on about House though, it is one fantastic show.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
And if people bothered reading the books that the series is based on instead of parking their ass in front of the tv hoping that something good will happen, they would know it gets better.

Like I said, I have better things to do than parking my ass in front of a TV.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I don't watch many of these shows either. Saw Dexter on a Showtime free weekend, got grossed out in the first act, and turned it off. (And I'm not the squeamish type.) Comedies like Cougar Town and Modern Family I find annoying. Fringe grossed me out much as Dexter did. And since I'm not into police procedurals, I forgo the whole CSI crop. (I do catch Law and Order occasionally, and that's enough for me.) Lost I watched because I got sucked into the story, but it's vagueness was majorly annoying and now that it's over I sure don't feel that the payoff was worth six years of my time.

I do like Burn Notice's sense of humor (and spy tips), and I'm glad I stuck with Persons Unknown. House is good, but after -- what is it, six years? -- I've gotten bored with it.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I don't watch many of these shows either. Saw Dexter on a Showtime free weekend, got grossed out in the first act, and turned it off. (And I'm not the squeamish type.) Comedies like Cougar Town and Modern Family I find annoying. Fringe grossed me out much as Dexter did. And since I'm not into police procedurals, I forgo the whole CSI crop. (I do catch Law and Order occasionally, and that's enough for me.) Lost I watched because I got sucked into the story, but it's vagueness was majorly annoying and now that it's over I sure don't feel that the payoff was worth six years of my time.

I do like Burn Notice's sense of humor (and spy tips), and I'm glad I stuck with Persons Unknown. House is good, but after -- what is it, six years? -- I've gotten bored with it.

I gave up and lost interest in Lost halfway through season five. I am very tempted to delete all six HD seasons from my iTunes.

The only other show I've watched that you have mentioned was Dexter.

My current shows are:

The Office
30 Rock
Desperate Housewives
Weeds
Ghost Hunters
Ghost Adventures
Destination Truth

All of them I own in iTunes and watch them several times a year.

Funkatronic

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Pune, India
Ghost Hunters
Ghost Adventures
Destination Truth

All of them I own in iTunes and watch them several times a year.

Ghost Hunters was pretty good during the first few seasons, now they just seem to get excited over nothing.

Destination Truth on the other had, is pure, unadulterated fun.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Ghost Hunters was pretty good during the first few seasons, now they just seem to get excited over nothing.

Destination Truth on the other had, is pure, unadulterated fun.

Agree. Ghost Hunters....I am wondering why they even bothered with last weeks show. I also think they are faking a huge amount of evidence over the last few years, especially the EVPs and moving doors all the time.

Josh Gates is just fun to watch. Poor guy can't ever find a vehicle that runs. Love how they had to push start last weeks monstrosity!

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I was forced to watch Glee once. I hated it!! Definitely not a guy show
Current shows I like are:
Sons Of Anarchy
American Chopper
Pawn Stars
Stargate Universe
Rescue Me
How It's Made
Lien On Me
V
Border Wars

I loved Lost and Prison Break as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.