I've recieved my rMBP 2.3/16/256

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puke, Jun 27, 2012.

1. puke, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

puke macrumors regular

Hello Macrumors!

Since it's a hot topic right now, I decided to give you my two cents on this machine. I received it approx 4 hours ago, and damn it's a beast.

I got my 27" Thunderbolt Display in the same shipment! Got it all connected and it works like a charm.

When I first started it it started in 9 seconds (note: 9 seconds) wow. Scrolling WAS laggy, I have to admit that. In Safari swell as Launchpad etc. Installed all the new updates and it all works like a charm. With and without my Thunderbolt Display. Crazy SSD speeds. (Getting 420MB/s Write and 460MB/s Read).

I've transfered files from my external HDD, installed a couple of games and Photoshop along with some daily programs like Spotify and Skype. Works perfectly and it doesn't take more then miliseconds if even that to start up/open programs/close programs etc.

A very remarkable machine and you'll be happy when you guys get yours! If you have any questions, i'll try to answer them!

//Johan

2. nicklasmp macrumors member

3. moveteam macrumors member

Scrolling WAS laggy, I have to admit that. In Safari swell as Launchpad etc. Installed all the new updates and it all works like a charm.

4. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

No one likes a smart ass ;)

5. rays09 macrumors member

so there's no laggy anymore?

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

when you're talking about fixing the lag, are you only talking about safari? what about mission control/expose/other general OS UI elements/animations? i could care less about safari. worst browser.

7. glaseryaniv macrumors member

Thanks for sharing! Thats a real help to us all, i think. So ive heared about the fuzzy ui in non retina apps, but ide like to know, as pro to pro, how much of a problem it is when working on photoshop? Also, which CS version are u using? One more: will you be working with fcp7 or AVID? if so, would love to hear some experiences... Thanks!

8. puke thread starter macrumors regular

I'm happy to say in the now 6 hours I've used it, I do not have this issue.

----------

I'm talking about all the UIs aswell as safari. Haven't tried chrome yet.

----------

I have to say, yes, it's a bit fuzzy, but that's because you get so spoiled with the new display. Have to admit, I don't notice it anymore. Honestly don't see it as a big problem with PS. Using cs5 ATM, nonretina ofc. :)

I won't work with any of those two as of now, maybe a bit later, and I'll post info if I will :)

9. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

10. mobile-caffeine macrumors member

How much hard drive space do you have left after setting it up with a few updates and some games?

11. Langley macrumors newbie

I have the very same version and I can report that I don't have burn ins or any other issues really.

I notice a slight lag (very minimal) when scrolling in safari but I'm pretty sure ML will fix that problem all together.

12. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Few updates, diablo 3 and wow and 25gb of music swell as 5gb of pictures i'm at 190gb of storage left. :)

13. mobile-caffeine macrumors member

Fantastic! I ordered the stock 2.3 and that sounds like the setup I would have, sans WOW. I wanted to add a 60GB boot camp partition and hope to have enough left. I don't want to spend the extra cash in the higher model just for more space.

14. theoski macrumors member

Lagging is definitely not minimal. Open the verge and try to scroll it. It is disappointing that dual core can deal with that just fine. Frankly dont know why they did not sync ML and retina macbook. Very buggy combination right bow.

15. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Ordered the same config. Congrats OP! I'll have mine in about 3 weeks

16. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

sounds great!

can't wait to get my 2.6 / 16 / 768

hows gaming on it? i've seen almost all the videos out there.. but i want more! :p

17. puke thread starter macrumors regular

I've played some D3 and just logged onto wow, and i's actually very good on both games on High (no shadows), but the fans will start to run after a couple minutes of playing at 2880*1800 on D3 and around 1900ish on Wow, obviously. And since I got my TBD i'm having spotify and stuff on on the laptop screen while playing on the 27".

----------

You sure you have updated it properly? I don't have any lag whatsoever wherever I try to go. Like I wrote a few posts earlier.

----------

A question tho: Is TRIM activated or am I supposed to fix that by myself? And if so, how?

18. jjfcpa macrumors member

Would you mind trying a little battery check?

I've got a rMBP 2.6, 16, 512 and last night I put it to sleep at 5:00 pm. I went to the pool - it's been hot here - and did not turn it on or connect to power source and woke it at 8:00 a.m. The battery had drained 11%. I've got a MBA (13", 2.0, 8gigs, 512 gigs) as a reference Mac and if I do it with it, the battery still reads 100% the next morning.

I went to the genius bar today and they checked the battery for dead or malfunctioning cells and everything appeared to be ok. They reset the power management to see if that might have any affect.

I just charged it to 100%, set the brightness to 40%, and closed the lid - that was at 2:10 p.m. I'm going to let it sleep till tomorrow morning and see if the battery drains again. If it does, it's going back.

I'd really be interested if you can duplicate this little test.

19. stevelam macrumors 65816

i'm confused. so you just updated to what exactly? ML DP4? or just the software update from apple? because theres pretty much NO way all the lag is gone if you're still running lion.

20. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

can you try running wow on either 1080p or 1200p in high or ultra? i'd love to know the FPS in BGs dungeons etc. :)

21. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Not ML as of yet, just all the updates from "Software Update". And why would I lie? I'm just telling you how it is. No lagging Anywhere, and i'm running Lion.

22. stevelam macrumors 65816

i don't think you're lying. but from anandtechs review, he basically said the RMBP is borderline unusable with lion and is much improved with ML, although still not perfect.

so i have no idea how your magical computer all of a sudden has no lag whatsoever in lion. just weird is all.

23. puke thread starter macrumors regular

I would say i'm not the only one if you check a few reviews on youtube aswell as people on this forum.

24. The "Dude" macrumors regular

No lag on mine either. Although I am running ML dev preview. Awesome machine, no doubt about it.