I've reverted to tiger, have you?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cRuNcHiE, May 23, 2008.

1. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz 4GB RAM 667mhz ( only 3GB useable)
    It came with Tiger and i was very happy with its performance and boot time and also stability.

When leopard came out i did a clean install and thought at first it booted a lot slower, apps took longer to load and ive had a lot of problems with it never sleeping properly and finding a roasting hot laptop shut in my laptop bag NOT GOOD!

It was until i was playing around with 'Mainstage' that comes with Logic that id had enough. the cpu usage during mainstage was always about 25% even when doing nothing and it would often peak when i never remember there being any problem before. There was also a noticeable lag after pressing the key which i never had before.

so, i reformatted, partitioned with 2 partitions and installed Tiger on one, leopard on the other. I installed the same programs on both partitions and so far i dont see me going back to Leopard!

Firstly, it boots Tiger about 5 seconds faster. Apps load noticeably quicker. Mainstage doesn't lag and has NOT cpu spiked at all in Tiger.

I havent had safari crash like it did in Leopard either and battery life seems to be improved by roughly 40 minutes and ive noticed the cpu or gfx fan is quieter as well.

Now i also had (just sold) a Macbook 2.2 Ghz whch came with leopard but didnt really exibit the same problems ive had with my macbook pro. mainly mainstage did not spike or lag.

Is leopard maybe just more optimised for newer macs hence why my older rev macbook pro prefers Tiger?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope, I'd rather cut off my right hand than go back to 10.4

<3 Leopard

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I also reverted on my Alu iMac just after 3 days. I couldn't stand Leopard at the time and haven't upgraded again ever since. I also have a 2.2 SR MacBook and even though Leopard runs well on it for the most part. Its still not a fluid experience.

Its a good OS but not fully polished yet. For me Tiger is still the better of the two...at least for now which is why my main OS is still Tiger. If i could downgrade the Macbook to Tiger i would but it shipped with Leopard pre-installed so no dice.

Then again i might just go and get myself one of the earlier MBP SRs that shipped with Tiger or something.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

i reverted my macbook back to tiger. the mac pro is still leopard because of the compatibility issues, but i have to say it is very frustrating to have adobe CS3 apps crash on the Mac Pro and not the much cheaper laptop.

I keep thinking they'll fix leopard with the next point release. They've fixed a lot of the usability issues (menu bar, stacks, etc), but spotlight still crashes every CS app, and there are lots of little niggling issues that i'm worried will never be fixed. You can't search for a partial file name anymore if it is made of numbers because spotlight is too "smart" to find it.

example. I have a folder on my desktop right now called "123456789123456789"

in tiger, if i search for 23456 or 12345 or 912345 or 789.jpg it will find this file without any issues.

in leopard, the only way to find this file is if i start my search with "1" and continue straight through the file name with no mistakes, such as 123456.

Try it yourselves and see. Do it right now. I'm attaching a screenshot. I even switched from "contents" search to "file name" search and it still doesn't work. That is f'in broken and the person who designed that behavior should be fired or better yet sent to redmond, because what kind of crap are they smoking to think that is a "smarter" search function?

Attached Files:

6. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

It's a shame that you have been experiencing these problems. I am very happy with leopard and how it runs. The new features have been excellent for making my work flow more efficient (spaces, quicklook).
    Unless all of my software became instantly incompatible with leopard I won't be going back.

You do know you can run tiger and leopard on the same computer using an external harddrive (preferably a FW 800 drive for speed) This could allow you to get used to Leopard whilst still having the joy of Tiger.

EDIT: Oops... Damn me for not reading before I type lol. I've just realized you said you have tried the double OS install.

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Leopard runs fine on my macbook no key lags, boots up just as quick, apps load just as fast. I wont be changing and it still running fine even though i haven't turned it of for 16 days now, it always wakes and sleeps properly so i have no problems

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I went to my friends house and his iMac had Tiger on it and I was like, ummm?

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've seen no problems with Leopard, in fact i had more issues with tiger than Leopard so i'm sticking with the former.

10. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Tiger on my Mac Mini because the specs are slow, and I don't mind it. Actually the differences to me are very little to any

11. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Hi

I did not revert to Tiger. There few things I miss from 10.4 though; like the clean dock which does not need a hack to be 2D. The default wallpaper is horrible as well

But those are very minor issues.

In fact i do not use Time machine at all (i'd rather format my comuter every three months!) so for me it's basically the same OS. I do not experience lags when starting up programs or booting on OS X. I do like, however the new mail.app functionalities

Hope we hear soon about 10.6 and that it wont be loaded with useless things like iChat backgrounds...

12. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I just upgraded to Leopard (clean install) on my 2.4 MBP, but to be honest, I do miss Tiger. I have found that my machine does take a tad longer to boot up, is not as smooth with the GUI, and applications do take a little while to load.

But I am planning on sticking with Leopard, with the hope that the small issues would be ironed out in the next couple of months. Or else, I need to bust out my Tiger CD and go back.

13. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

My main complaint is start-up time, which feels longer than Tiger (and is on par with my PB 12" booting up 10.3.9). I actually "raced" them. It was about the same. :(

14. dal20402 macrumors 6502

UI animations aren't as smooth, it's true.

But I haven't had any application stability problems with Leopard (CS3 is not crashing for me, at least any more than it did under Tiger) and giving up Spaces and Time Machine at this point would be like cutting off my left hand. I'll stick with Leopard, thanks.

Do you have enough RAM? Leopard is definitely more RAM-hungry than Tiger. 2GB on my older MacBook Pro (sadly, it won't accept more) is just barely enough. 4GB on my Penryn MBP is quite comfortable.

15. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Ran Leopard on my dual G4 and my SR Blackbook, but I've reverted on my iBook G4.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Loved Tiger, but adore Leopard...

G5 Quad, MacBook Pro Core Duo, and Mac Pro '08 on Leopard, and all really shine.

Must admit that I can't wait for 10.5.3.. that'll be a huge upgrade.

Tiger is nice for G4's. ;)

17. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I will be getting a new mac pro soon. Just waiting for wwdc in june to see if their are any minor updates before I splurge.

Actually I'm a little afraid to switch to leopard. I have been so happy with 10.4 every thing just works. Runs as smooth as butter in all my computers imac, emac and a little ibook.
    I know it is more, ram and processor hungry than 10.4. This is why it takes longer at start up. When I made the switch from 10.3 to 10.4 things actually ran faster and more responsive.
    Apple also introduced much more in to this 10.5 jump as compared to the jump from 10.3 to 10.4. So their are a lot more bugs to find and tackle.

18. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I switched to the Mac when Tiger was out. I thought it was the best OS I had ever used. Now, Leopard holds that title.

19. Ludde macrumors regular

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

To answer your question:

No.

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

i guess from the "CS3 is not crashing for me" comment that you're asking me if I have enough RAM...

check my sig...i don't think RAM is my problem! spotlight is my problem.

22. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Tiger was good... Leopard is better

I have two MBPs and I left one on tiger and got Leopard on the other the night Leopard was released. I recently switched over the Tiger machine to Leopard. Time machine is the single most wonderful difference. Spaces is ok but TM is fantastic.

Perhaps you should check with the thrid party software vendor. They may have an open issue running thier product on Leopard and an update will fix it.

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Interestingly, Leopard actually fixed some networking issues I previously had between System 7.6 and Tiger.

24. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Haven't you heard of sleep mode? I can't remember the last time i started up.

25. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I don't care what people say, if you have your laptop on for a few days, it's going to lag.

That's why I use iFreeMem!

</advertisement>