I've speculated so much i don't want one anymore.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Jan 15, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've been speculating so much about the 2011 MBP that I don't want one anymore. I think I'm just exhausted from thinking about it. Lol. But most of all, I'd be selling my 2010 13" to put toward the new 2011, and I love my 13". It's my first mac, and I'm not sure I'd have the heart to sell it so soon (got it in april).
    Anyone else sick and tired of wondering about the 2011? ;)

2. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Yes, the update can't come soon enough. Though I expect to be disappointed.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's a lot of hot air in general regarding updates. For probably 95% of users, a faster processor won't make any difference. Facebook still loads on the Core 2 Duos just fine.

4. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Totally agree. For me though it's music production in Pro Tools and Studio One. I'd definitely benefit from stepping up from a core2duo. That said, I tired of imagining what the refresh will bring. So i might just sit this one out. OR I might just get all excited again once they actually do get updated.

One cool side effect of wanting something, then losing interest to some degree, is I've saved up a bunch of money for the refresh, which I can now just leave in the bank. :)

5. redkamel macrumors 6502

I was trying to bring my friend back to reality after a speculation round.
    Blu ray is not happening. Disc drives are not going to disappear a mere few months after the App store is released. Unibody is not going to be tossed.
    SSDs are not going to go from a 1000 dollar option to a standard part.

Realistically, its going to be a new clock speed processor and some ports/thinning of the design. Thats it. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sandybridge WASN'T on the update.

Honestly, if Apple wants to put real quad cores and better gfx in their notebooks but maintain heat and battery life, they need a bigger battery and more cooling, which means SSDs and cutting the ODD, and thats not going to happen until 512gb blades are 200-300 dollars and the App store is full force (or external drives are standard). And THATs not happening in 2-3 months.

On the other hand, they really should bring back the Cube as the mini-desktop tower.

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

nope...i'm not in the position to replace my 07 MBP, so i don't care. plus i have zero "real" issues with the one i have. i'll take a guess though and say it'll be nothing more than a GPU/CPU speed bump. i think it's too early for a redesign.

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm actually surprised I haven't heard more people say this. I agree. If Apple does indeed keep their ~10 month refresh cycle going, they could easily just up the current clock speeds and then do a full on Sandy Bridge update at the end of the year. Apple isn't one to fall in line with what the other kids are doing. I wouldn't be shocked either if it's just a matter of moving the clocks to different price points.

Damn, I'm speculating again!

8. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

C2d is powerful enough for me.
    I'd been used to ~7hr renders for short 720p videos on my Sempron laptop.

Needless to say I was very pleasantly suprised when a 5 minute 720p video rendered in under 10 minutes

9. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I've bought more than my share of new Mac laptops each time a new processor or other significant change has been made. I'm much wiser now and agree with the "hot-air" comment above. Sandybridge or not, there is no reason to wait. Especially since this latest 2010 series of 15 & 17" MBP's are so good.

I know I have both :)

10. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

lolwut?!

I was with you up until that point. If Apple doesn't upgrade to SB then there really is no point in an update at all. SB offers not only more raw performance than Arrendale, but better performance per watt as well. This means increased battery life, which is one of Apple's primary talking points when hyping a macbook update.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I am not in the market for one so I could keep speculating.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

The people who are really feeling the pain of waiting are probably the ones waiting to board the MBP train for the first time or those who are in actual desperarate need of a hardware refresh.

I'm with you here. The earlier the update, the more unlikely SB will be implemented on the 13". Some people are hoping for a Jan/Feb release but I can't see Apple (and partners) crushing in all the R&D, testing, integration, changing production processes and toolsets etc in a matter weeks. Things like a better res display maybe, radical changes probably not.

In essence, the longer the wait, the more feature sets enhancements is probable. Let's hope (for those on the market) that the wait and the pain will be worth it.

13. xianshell macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

All I am really waiting for in a screen resolution increase and a speed bump on the 13.

14. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Dont let that freak you out. I personally disagree - When Apple refreshes, for the first few weeks their hardware specs are pretty much in line with PC competition (which cycles more often) and considering the wide adoption of sandy bridge in PC's I can't see apple doing anything else. Keep in mind, though, that anything anyone says on these forums is merely speculation. The best way to figure this out is to wait and see. If you wait, then you'll have both options, and if you do not like what apple's offering at the moment, you could always buy an older model of amazon or some other place (at a better price, too). So, basically, it's a win-win if you can handle the wait. ;)

15. ender land macrumors 6502a

I think I actually would not get a resolution increase on my 13" - I've thought a few times about this but realize how small each pixel already is and how much smaller they would have to be to increase the size.

Though it WOULD be nice to have native 1280x800 with an option of 1400x900 or something. It's always so frustrating to have high res screens when you cannot put much else on it to look decent....

16. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Based on my experiences, speculation only ends in disappointment. But I'll continue!

17. aCondor macrumors 6502

Indeed. that is the position that I am in. My logic has been that I've already waited so long for the refresh it would be futile to buy one now.

Originally it was assumed October would be the month... then December/January... and now likely after Feb 20th. I can see the light at the end of a tunnel but it feels like I'm falling down a well and looking up :eek:.

18. intelgrande macrumors member

Matter of weeks? Are you referring to the Sandy Bridge release in January? They've had benchmarks of Sandy Bridge out in the open since September, so Apple has probably been working with SB chips since July or earlier. Also in September, Intel was apparently sampling the Ivy Bridge chips which won't be out until the end of this year (or next year), so Apple could potentially already be playing around with those as well.

Realistically, with this next update, I expect Apple is just going to time up the MBP during a lull period between the other major product updates. Of course they may push it off a little if they're waiting for some technology (light peak or whatever), but we won't know until they actually show us something.

I'd like it if they were to release the updates soon, but the sooner they release the less likely we are to see any sort of major upgrade. I'll wait a little longer if it means something awesome, but who knows. Hopefully, though, they won't wait until a Lion release.

19. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Personally I'm not in the market for a new machine, as I have no real need for an upgrade and I love my collector's edition :p I'm sick of the speculation too, because it gets taken way too far, and people get all pissy when apple doesn't release an all-new model with exactly their personal spec for an absurdly low price.

20. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Only way I would sell my MBP 13 was if the new model 13 had the anti-glare option, I can't stand the reflections and wish I got the 15 instead, but liked the 13 size for traveling etc.

21. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I would only upgrade my 2010 MBP which I got in July if the new models had significant upgrades, like AG option, higher resolution screen and/or LP technology or something like that. The 2.66 C2D with the 320M does everything I want it to and still gives me 8 hours of battery life, so why should I worry about having a more powerful processor just yet? Maybe in 2012 I'll think about upgrading it.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I think many will be disappointed with the new MBP update :eek: ix won't come to the 13" yet, the DVD drive will stay and USB3 probably won't be in it either...

23. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Yeah but I don't want to spend $1k+ on older processors. If I'm spending that much I want the latest and greatest.

24. SmoothJ macrumors member

I am the same, but I have a feeling that in order to get the latest and greatest I would have to go to Dell, HP, or even Alienware.

Apple doesn't really bow down to pressure, nor do they conform with everyone else. That is the reason why the MBP stays the same price from around 200+ days (which really bugs me). So the only way to get your moneys worth is to buy it the day its released, and that may not be the latest.

25. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I got sick on waiting and purchase my 2010 macbook pro at New Years Day.