Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
If its just entering engineering verification I doubt that they would have anything to show anyway. It seems like generally they show the device in action on stage and I doubt they would show off an engineering prototype (likely with extremely early software on it)

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
All I can say is

TinySoftCentipede.gif

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Would make sense for Apple to announce it at the iPhone 6 event. People might otherwise look into different solutions for trying out the new features of iOS8. With a definite release date and known featureset it will be easier to evaluate a purchase regarding Healthkit.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
do you guys think it's square or round?

I'm gonna go with square. I'm pretty excited for this personally, especially with all the biometric data this device pulls. I'm sure it's a challenge for the team to narrow down the scope of the presentation for this thing. I also have to imagine they are going to have some celebrity athletes in the demo, maybe even a basketball court or one of those golf course screens where they capture your swing and give you tips on how to correct it :cool:

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Well, people are expecting something big at this keynote. Just based on the venue alone, the whole anniversary thing, and the amount of construction happening, I would like to think it's something more then just iPhones being introduced.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I for one hope they put a better battery in the iWatch than they have the iPhone, other wise after midday its just going to be an iBracelet, unless i want to spend the day with my wrist teatherd to my PC charging like i have to now with my iPhone.

there is no "better battery". we're at the end of the line of current battery technology and physics. something new is needed but doesn't yet exist.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
This would be a great gift for the girlfriend for all of those times she "forgot her phone at home" and can't be reached for several hours. With this I can track her so she doesn't accidentally get lost and find herself in bed with another guy

Can't wait to pre-order

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
there is no "better battery". we're at the end of the line of current battery technology and physics. something new is needed but doesn't yet exist.

Actually it does exist, it's called graphene based capacitor technology. The problem is no one has dumped serious money into it yet, so it won't be going anywhere for awhile. Hopefully Apple becomes the industry leader for this technology to get it out.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
No matter what design is introduced, the concept of a finger clumsily trying to press the correct area on the limited size of a Watch does not seem appealing.

SIRI seems the logical choice to avoid the touch screen size limitations so hopefully a major SIRI push is coming.....
I'm a big SIRI fan but must confess so far she's only available 60% of the time.

We will see.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Products launched later this year (not next) was described at the best product pipeline in the last 25 years was what eddy cue said

Does anyone honestly think this doesn't include an iwatch?

Maybe it will, but waiting for the 'leaked' parts to start hitting the internets before I start paying attention.

----------

This would be a great gift for the girlfriend for all of those times she "forgot her phone at home" and can't be reached for several hours. With this I can track her so she doesn't accidentally get lost and find herself in bed with another guy

Can't wait to pre-order

Ummm. Stalker muck?

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Sounds like there is not much to win for Apple on the 9th:
- iPhone6 is completely leaked
- iPayment/iWallet leaked
- iWatch is far from being ready to sell so nothing to really show

With expectations up so high, it sounds like an event with high potential to leave many people disappointed. Despite whatever engineering masterpieces Apple might present..

It'll disappoint people. When was the last time that Apple event was not underwhelming? It'll be funny to look at people's face if the 5.5" iPhone is not even announced.;)

----------

No matter what design is introduced, the concept of a finger clumsily trying to press the correct area on the limited size of a Watch does not seem appealing.

SIRI seems the logical choice to avoid the touch screen size limitations so hopefully a major SIRI push is coming.....
I'm a big SIRI fan but must confess so far she's only available 60% of the time.

We will see.

Did you use 6th generation iPod Nano?
Btw, so far the only wearable device is considered good looking was 6th iPod Nano, seriously. As much as Samsung tried to be the first on Smart Watch, I don't give them that credit. Apple is actually the first with that iPod Nano.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008

Have you not read the 100s of articles of new batteries that have are currently in development? There are a lot of possibilities out there. The question is ultimately which one is the standard that is adopted. I'm putting my money on the cotton based batteries since that is what Toyota is working on for their future car batteries. I give it 5-10 years before we see a large step change in batteries, but it's coming for sure. Battery technology has already evolved significantly in the past decade because of smartphones. Electric cars are going to be reason behind the next big push.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
All these ridiculous mockups remind me of this.

I would totally buy that and use that on the weekends, purely for comedic value lol. :p

----------

We will see.

But wasn't Siri purchased by another company? I'm having trouble keeping track.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well, people are expecting something big at this keynote. Just based on the venue alone, the whole anniversary thing, and the amount of construction happening, I would like to think it's something more then just iPhones being introduced.

It's the usual MR crowd pumping up already inflated expectations only to be later disappointed by the fantastic, but incremental product(s) actually announced.

Apple's old slogan "insanely great" is fitting b/c, to paraphrase Einstein, insanity is repeating the same activity expecting a different result.

The venue is just a venue and the anniversary is just a coincidence unless someone at Apple says they booked the space specifically because of the anniversary.

The construction is likely due to the fact the college doesn't have available or adequate after-event demo room available. Some of the homekit product demos would need lots of space, for example. And to bring it back to the venue itself, being on a campus gives Apple more space to build a custom demo room where having it at one of the other traditional spaces does not, which is probably why the event is where it is, not the anniversary.

dariusperkins

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Lordy...

Yes, that pre-vis concept is bad.

To get at least a ball park idea, just have a Google of 'Braun watches', or some other Braun products.

Jony Ive is a known fan of [Braun product designer] Dieter Rams' 'less is more' design philosophy and his portfolio of product design... The original iPod was an homage to one of his designs FFS.

I broke 5 years of Macrumors forum abstinence for this post...

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I'm guessing they will show it sept 9. Main reason with all the iPhone leaks, the watch is sure to leak pretty soon. A phone is one thing, but I think Apple wants to be the one to introduce the watch.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Here we go again. Last week MR in effect finally admitted that they'd totally made up the iWatch name, and began calling it Apple's wearable device. But that was last week. This week they are back to "Apple's iWatch."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.