Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pardthemonster

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2005
They look like tables to me, what aren't they doing that they should be ?

Yes, they are working, but if you view the source you will notice that its iWeb 1.1.2. iWeb 2.0.x does not have these tables when I upgrade. iWeb 1.x also supported tables and editing them ie. adding rows, deleting, changing table colors, etc. It looks as though 2.x does not.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Is anyone here using iWeb to publish a site to their own webspace, as opposed to .mac? I've seen a couple of examples where the iWeb pages are *painfully* slow to load compared to the same examples coded in html (apparently iWeb uses different coding methods to keep the super smooth layout properties of the page design). Not sure how this would improve on .mac hosted pages. Adding photo libraries is supposedly a crippling factor as far as loading speed is concerned.

Also, apparently, Apple hobbles certain page functionality UNLESS it is hosted on .mac, counters being one of them.

Anyone got any feedback on this?

Slideshows and "comments" will only work when using .mac.

Other issues I've found:

Drop shadows don't show up at all in Firefox.

Drops shadows don't show up on text in IE7.

Setting "poster frames" doesn't work for imported QT movies -- nor does iWeb recognize poster frames set in QT Pro prior to being imported.

Not able to change text/photo/link attributes on blog pages.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Yes, they are working, but if you view the source you will notice that its iWeb 1.1.2. iWeb 2.0.x does not have these tables when I upgrade. iWeb 1.x also supported tables and editing them ie. adding rows, deleting, changing table colors, etc. It looks as though 2.x does not.

This is probably due to the big push for Web Standards with Web 2.0 (you've heard this buzz word I'm sure.) All the top designers are evangelizing to move away from the use of tables (which are horrible to work with anyway) and to work with clean CSS code.

So I am sure Apple wants to be part of this Web 2.0 movement as it is the future of web design (at the moment). What this means is, stop using tables and start using better css code.

b3beater

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
I actually had lots of problems with sites coded with the earlier versions of iWeb to the new version. Images which I had placed on the page that were eaither .png or .gif so that they were transparent now have a white box around them that I can not remove. If I delete the image and replace it, it's fine but some how in the conversion it's creating a white background for images.

I think there needs to be a message board of sorts so we are not forced to use some outside solution and I think It's amazing that there is not a media player that you can add that looks like a ipod or itunes or something. I've seen them out on the net by other companies but come on apple... no media player?

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. Only 512MB, yikes!!! :eek: That's not much to be pushing around RAW files from iPhoto to iWeb. I gather that takes some time to do. Que up some photo's and go have a snack or something? :)

i'm mainly using camera raw in photoshop cs2. i processed a huge amount of raw files in the past few days. i certainly can't have any others apps running at the same time with my measly 512 but it's alright although, of course, faster would be nice.

both my imac and ibook have 512. i think i should put some more ram in as my brother wants to start playing a flight simulator game and editing video.

Is anyone here using iWeb to publish a site to their own webspace, as opposed to .mac? I've seen a couple of examples where the iWeb pages are *painfully* slow to load compared to the same examples coded in html (apparently iWeb uses different coding methods to keep the super smooth layout properties of the page design). Not sure how this would improve on .mac hosted pages. Adding photo libraries is supposedly a crippling factor as far as loading speed is concerned.

Also, apparently, Apple hobbles certain page functionality UNLESS it is hosted on .mac, counters being one of them.

Anyone got any feedback on this?

yes, i publish my site to virgin media. i took a .mac trial (and, in fact, today bought a .mac subscription for £14.99 as a clearance item at toys r us:D) and put the site up there too. the site loads much quicker from virgin media including photos.

but the download button (which appears when you click on a photo) does not work properly on virgin media. i called applecare who said it ought to work and suggested i call virgin media. as an experiment i then put the site on lycos and found that the download didn't work there either.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Thanks to anyone that read this thread and clicked on my singular ad. I made $12 LOL.

Still undecided about keeping it, or adding more.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003

That's because counters require server side software and there are no standards for features that require server side software. How does Apple know your cheap web hosting site has counter software that is identical to theirs? Simple answer is, they don't so they have to disable it. Otherwise they'd get angry calls from people claiming Apple's iWeb produces bad web pages.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Just went up there and snagged 2 mighty mice (£10 each) and 8 .Mac boxes.
Right, eBay :D I might take a trip to my other local toys r us store tomorrow.

Dang - I'm jealous of the great deals y'all are getting. Rock on!!!!

Rom Rim

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Woof woof.
Wow. Too cool. iWeb is great for people like us who don't want to get too technical and write raw HTML code or use advanced products like Dreamweaver. It's used by Daniel Eran at Roughly Drafted and his pages aren't really all that bad. OK maybe they are but who cares? I love iWeb!

Peter Weisz

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Carmel, Indiana USA
iWeb '08 gutted my site. No drop shadows. Ugly!

I installed iWeb '08 and then ran the latest iWeb '08 software update before opening the program. I am using a 24 in. Core2Duo iMac running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

I next double-clicked on the Domain icon in my user/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder and waited while the program converted my existing website that had been created with iWeb '06 and published to my .Mac account.

Everything looked fine in iWeb. I added a graphic to a page and pressed the Publish button. After a long delay while the entire site was uploaded, I visited my site and discovered that dozens of graphic elements were no longer visible. Empty boxes appear and then disappear where each of the missing items is supposed to be. If the item is a hyperlink, the link still works, phantom-like, if I click on the spot where the item should be.

Also, there are no longer any drop shadows. Reflections, rotations and transparencies still function, however.

The problems described persist regardless of browser or platform used. I checked using Firefox, Safari and I.E. on the Mac and I.E. under Windows.

I ran some tests, creating page items by importing graphics from the Media Browser, dragging from the Finder, copying and pasting, and creating new shapes from the shape menu at the bottom of the iWeb window. The image items appear normally in iWeb, but, aside from the shapes, do not show up at all after publishing to the site.

Shape primitives do appear online. Transparency, reflection, rotation all work normally on the shapes, but drop shadows do not. The shadows appear in the iWeb window, but disappear when the page is published.

Please visit what's left of my site at: http://www.peterweisz.com and see the damage for yourself. Also you can look at some screen shots here that compare how some page portions look in iWeb 08 compared to how they look after publishing:

http://gallery.mac.com/pweisz#100013

Fortunately, I have a back-up copy of my old iWeb 06 Domain file. Short of de-installing iWeb 08 and reinstalling iWeb 06, what can I do to remedy this problem?

Evidently iWeb '08 is broken bigtime. This is the buggiest piece of software that I’ve seen Apple release in decades. I guess we’re all paying the iPhone tax and that’s a real shame.

Peter Weisz
peter@peterweisz.com

andreageymet

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
iweb questions

Hi guys! I just created my website for my thaiboxing course, here it is: http://www.muaythairomaest.it . So here are the questions:
1. How do I insert sound (on .mp3) on the backround? I mean, nothing to click, just a "stop" button if the visitors do not like the music...
2. I managed to put different images as backgrounds for the various pages, put I can't anymore since I upgraded to iLife '08... is it still possible?

Thanks a lot guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.