Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
You mean besides the obvious spreadsheet application that beats the pants off of Excel, Microsoft's best program IMO?

I'd like to see a speed increase in Pages, because documents with bunches of graphics really bogs it down on my powerbook.

Keynote is basically great, and I can't think of much to add to it. More themes? :rolleyes:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
a small drawing/painting/photo editing application.
like a mix of the old mac draw pro and the iphoto editing tools.

more themes.

an easy to use "creative" spreadsheet.

an "iweb pro" with the easy of iweb but more geared to business application.

a text editor like the old mac write pro in addition to the more layout oriented pages.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I'd like more pages functions... other than that I like it.

Love keynote, making one right now actually. :)

to the poster above, this is iWork, not iLife, it doesn't have iWeb. :) ;)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
On the Pages side, I'd also like to see it sped up. I'd also like to see it handle document sections more clearly, and improvements to the way templates are created. Another feature I'd really appreciate is converting tabbed text to a table. The internals also need some work. I've noticed that if I use the image correction palette to alter an image, Pages (and I think Keynote too) saves both the original and an uncompressed image within the .pages package. This causes the size of the file to balloon impressively. It can't be reduced, even by undoing the changes or deleting the graphic. This is a nasty bug!

On Keynote, I'd like to see some improvements to the way it handles Flash file exports. Positive changes were made from 2.0 to 3.0, but it still can't export transitions. I'm using Keynote to create Flash web sites these days (one of Keynote's hidden features), so the ability to compress exported .swf files would also be helpful.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I don't really use pages that much, may do soon, but with keynote,

maybe some motion graphics like in iDVD '06. Custom motion paths, more 3D transitions, the ability to add frames on pictures and also the ability to morph one item into another, i.e. a word that changes into a picture etc.

charmin

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
"Numbers", first and foremost, because it will be awesome.

Pages can always do with more decent themes. A lot of people don't use it, but it's great for whipping out nice looking documents quickly. I use it for my CVs and whatnot.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
lilstewart said:

to the poster above, this is iWork, not iLife, it doesn't have iWeb. :) ;)

i know that. but not everybody who buys iwork already owns ilfe 06. you may not beleive it but there are tons of people who do not spend the bucks for ilife 06 automatically. ;)

but they could buy iwork. and presenting your work on the web nowadays is somehow almost standard.

imagine somebody doing a flyer and a presentation for a very small business or club. they would like to do the work in iwork and at the same time present it on the web.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
charmin said:
"Numbers", first and foremost, because it will be awesome.

I doubt we will see it, because of the agreement between Microsoft and Apple.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
photoshop killer (not like iphoto, but real image manipulation)
illustrator killer (macpaint pro to the max)

in other words, port gimp, inkscape, and seashore to cocoa!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Filemaker Lite

or Express, whatever. But I'd like to see a lightweight database program along the lines of Filemaker, but done in an 'iWork' kind of way, with templates and themes. This would be nice for me at work, where currently I use Pages to keep track of research results (images, summary of experiments); this gets a bit cumbersome at times.

Improved export to web functionality would also be nice.

Paragon

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
I'm wondering if Apple are keeping iWork simple so that MS don't discontinue Office for the platform? Just a thought :rolleyes:

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I honestly think Apple should just forget about iWork. Most people I know only have it for Keynote. They should just sell Keynote seperately. Pages is mediocre and anything they make will probably not impress me enough to switch back from Office for Mac.

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Well This is what i want.

Pages: More Templates, Better word processing, Better Speed, Better Imageing Handling.

Keynotes: More Themes, Better Themes, Better Flash creation, Better imageing Handling, More 3D Transitions.

A Excel Type App: All of excel Features, Templates, Intergration with iLife and iWork, Export to PDF.

A Filemaker Express app

Well thats that!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I love Keynote already, but there's always room for more flashy animations and transitions.

Pages is ok, but it has some funny quirks in the way it lays things out which can get a bit annoying. It can also be a bit slow to respond at times.

I think some kind of "lite" versions of excel, filemaker, photoshop and illustrator would be useful.

Edit: I just exported a Keynote to QT and I must say I was quite disappointed with the quality. There's another thing they can fix.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I would like to see iWork and Ilife merge into one suite, with a more addvanced web editer, some sort of spreadsheet program and + features, like extra applications you can buy to add to your suite like iImage, iPDF, iWebpro, iDesign(publisher). just so you get a base package and can bolt on the bits you want a little bit more power from. even imovie and idvd will have replacments you cant upgrade to if you grow out of them, like imovie pro, and idvd pro with imovie pro haveing simaler funchinality to the discontinued finalcut express. mabey even teared upgrades that expand with the user.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Caitlyn said:
I honestly think Apple should just forget about iWork. Most people I know only have it for Keynote. They should just sell Keynote seperately. Pages is mediocre and anything they make will probably not impress me enough to switch back from Office for Mac.

Baloney. I use Pages as my everyday word processor, and I find it excellent. A lot of people do.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Let's see...
GarageBand 4 - Make it to where each track can have its own equalizer. This may already be there, not sure, but that would be great so you can gear up the track how you want. How about the ability to drag video tracks on so you can make your own music video w/out switching to iMovie?
iMovie #X# - include a few more transitions, more export formats, more settings for video output.
iDVD #X# - Creation of an image no matter what size it is. I tried to make a DVD and couldn't cause the size was too big. If it would have made the image I could have used a different program to cut down the slack.
iWeb 2 - OMG We need to have it to where you can edit the HTML, not just have Drag and Drop, but edit the HTML as well. More themes needed, more precision with everything else, creation of XML and or PHP pages for enhanced editing. iWeb needs huge improvements.
iPhoto #X# - Wow... what else can they do? More filters maybe? Photo merging options? Opacity and layers for multiple photos? A brush to make slight changes to the photo? Yeah that sounds good.
iTunes #X# - Uh... ability to play WMA formats instead of using QuickTime or VLC w/limited playlist size. How about Music Image creation? Instead of burning to a CD burn it to an image so you can burn it to a cd for later? That'd be awesome.

LACOSTE

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Australia
hmmm i think apple should add keynote and pages as part of the iLife suite.

if you think about it... a wordprocessor is pretty essential :rolleyes:
and everyone has to do presentations for school and uni.

i just hope that apple doesnt rename the apps to something ghastly.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Love Keynote, just a couple small problems with hanging indents and extra bullets, word boxes, etc. Great if those could be fixed, still my first choice for making my presentations. Pages, please, please, please, give it compatibility for referencing softwares like Reference Manager and EndNote. If that was the case I wouldn't go back to Word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.