iWork 08 vs. Office 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by csa9, Feb 28, 2008.

1. csa9 macrumors newbie

I need to get one or the other... which one do you guys think is best? Does Office 08 have the same Windows style problems (errors, not working correctly 90% of the time, etc...)? Does iWork open the different forms of Office extensions?

2. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

IMO, Keynote is FAR superior to PowerPoint... but Pages and Numbers are a far cry from Word and Excel.

I buy iWork just for Keynote, but I could never stop using Word.. Its just too standardized (and mandatory in academia).

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

iWork is a nice package.

Office is the industry standard. If you need compatibility with Office on the Windows side, then I think I would go with Office 2008.

4. aosman macrumors 6502

I would buy iWork for Keynote as well. Its amazing. However, I think that it would still be a good idea to get Office, its comes down to compatibility and industry standards when one should make such a decision.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you need to exchange files with MS Office users (as I do on a daily basis - both Word and Excel), then NeoOffice (freeware) is probably the best compromise all-round. If, however, you only need basic compatibility, then iWork should do you just fine - it's a joy to use and will open Office files without difficulty.

Office 08 remains the bug-fest that earlier versions have been, Entourage STILL doesn't compare well with Outlook, and unless you're a VERY heavy Excel user, I really can't see a good reason to go the MS route...

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

This again? Really? Use search.

And, IMO, iWork + NeoOffice. End of story.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you're a very heavy excel user, I'd stay away from Office 08, since macro/VBA support has been pulled. That's the only reason I even have Excel on my machine.

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Well since we're at it, I thought I'd add my idea that Apple should do a major revamp of Numbers, add a little more functionality to Pages, and then port a version of iWork over to Windows to rival MS Office. It could be a contender ;)

9. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

office 2008 is sloooooow. i'd go with office 2004. and iwork 08.

10. billandy macrumors regular

for no reason office 2008 is soooooooooooooooooo damn irritatingly slow!!! dunno what i'm really paying my £80 for.... the entire file structure is just so $m style, it just doesn't fit with the leopard!

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

12. dermo macrumors newbie

iWork/Pages

Newbie here,
    Anyone know how to set Pages as the default document reader.When I open a document , Textedit opens it, and it is very limited.
    Thanks in advance.:(

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's only the first two pages of threads with both "iWork" and "Office" in the titles. I suppose I could create a more comprehensive list... ;)